Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changes are a-comin'

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar

Changes are a-comin'

I know that I kind of let this site go a bit over the last couple of years, but I intend to bring it back with a vengeance. My goal was never to make it a "club" or act like one (if you're ever been on a board, you know why) -- but be a general place for either other clubs to discuss, or people that are new to the community get to know other off-roaders. But with some that moved on, some serving overseas, and my life, well, insane, we've been pretty stagnant. Time to change that.

I've been looking into other forum software. We MAY end up staying on this vbulletin software, but for the small size of our group, it's pretty cumbersome and rough for me to maintain. I'm installing patches for hours a month, and it's frustrating. If we do migrate to something else, I'll make sure to honor current supporting memberships, and figure out a way to bring the old posts with us. If we stay here, I'll get some help to neaten it up a bit. I'm a server / IT guy, not a great web guy.

And, oh yeah, I promise I'll get another Jeep and actually start wheeling again! And I promise it's not my lawn tractor in my back yard. I won't be able to get monthly meet and greets going again as soon as I'd like with a newborn on the way, but I'll try to get that going soon enough.

I remember what this was group was like in 2000 when I joined up. It was great to have a wheeling family without the due's, little drama, and lots of wheeling. Let's make that happen again.

-Matt

That was my way of saying I'm open to suggestions and input, by the way!

Less posting, more wheeling! MemorEsto's Avatar
    We run IP Board at ErieJeepPeople, it rarely needs serviced. We get the occasional updates, but it pretty much runs itself. The cost's are probably higher than V bulletin though.

I just renewed and don't remember the price, I can check it out for you though. I know you're way more computer savvy than me.
    Acer Offroad A♦A♣A♠A♥

Thanks, Actually I think it was cheaper when I looked at it years ago -- the real reason we ended up on vbulletin is it was easier for me, since at the time I was running MallCrawlin.com for Dave. I'm actually starting to look at VB5 -- seems a lot better. We're on VB4 and it was a mistake... VB3 was a lot better IMHO, and 5 seems decent as well. I might play with some trials. 5 would make it a lot easier for pictures / photo gallery's. I tried that with this (4) and quickly learned why not many sites stay running on 4 for long. I just know that this sites 10-year anniversary is coming up, and it sucked a lot less 10 years ago!

Another must is making this site work just as well as it does on Mobile devices as it does at a computer. More "surfing" is done on tablets these days than on computers. Tapaltalk is a start -- but I'm looking into things that operate closer to Facebook as far as uploads from phones go. Simple is good.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Free donut fridays ?
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Steve I will give you rolling donut you can take a flying f@@k in......!
    trailphotos.ragnorox.com
    A wise man once said: "Fighting on the internet is like the special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded."
    "I just don't get all the hype over it. If it doesn't make me a sammich or go down on me, I'm not going to rant and rave about it."
    -OverkillZJ

Is there a mobile version at all currently? I know for EJP the mobile version pops up automatically
    Acer Offroad A♦A♣A♠A♥

Quote Originally Posted by Super Scout View Post
    Free donut fridays ?
    And Taco Tuesday!

Quote Originally Posted by MemorEsto View Post
    Is there a mobile version at all currently? I know for EJP the mobile version pops up automatically
    Not currently - but that is a must. I think we'd use a GOOD mobile version more than the website itself. Also looking into the *option* of linking your facebook account, for single sign on, but i don't want that to be a requirement. Just easier since that's something people are used to across the net now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnorox View Post
    Steve I will give you rolling donut you can take a flying f@@k in......!

http://www.amazon.com/Remote-Control.../dp/B002P4J2P8
    Never blame the beer. It's only there to lend a hand.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I was hoping it would be a remote control rolling donut...

Free tacos would be more useful than Tapatalk to ME...
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

Trail Leader
    Suggestion: get rid of the non-offroad talk and forums.
    -As much of a gun nut as I am I don't come here to discuss guns and political views.
    -get rid of the mountain bike section/hiking section lol
    -Finally and I think most important, Get rid of the people that tear down and insult other people and their builds.... That is 100% the quickest way to get good people to walk away from this forum. It might be tough to do because some of these instigators are 10 year members, but it needs done.
    -only reason I saw this post is cause it popped up on my Facebook thread, I haven't been to PGH-Offroad in almost a year, with good reason. It really started to suck balls. Which is sad cause this site and the community that it represents has tons of potential.
    Hope things get better and hope to see everyone on the trails soon!
    -'97 Chopped XJ, 7"ish of lift , 37x12.50 MTR's, truss'd, geared, and Detroit locked Waggy 44's
    -2004 Quad Cab Sport Ram, Tow Pig
    -05' Stunted out CBR600 RR
    and -2011 Crew Cab Hemi Ram DD

Sean -- they were created out of necessity though: without them, they will only end up being mixed in with the offroad talk. I will look into if I can separate them better though, perhaps only having off-road forums showing up in the new-posts search, or spinning them off into a subsection that's not searched as much. I agree that off-road should be the main focus.

Who is tearing down other members builds? I don't think any of those folks survived...

I agree on the potential... Hence this post
    Last edited by OverkillZJ; 02-15-2014 at 10:06 AM.

Oh that's up there with the banana slicer!

Quote Originally Posted by XJ_Sean View Post
    Suggestion: get rid of the non-offroad talk and forums.
    -As much of a gun nut as I am I don't come here to discuss guns and political views.
    -get rid of the mountain bike section/hiking section lol
    -Finally and I think most important, Get rid of the people that tear down and insult other people and their builds.... That is 100% the quickest way to get good people to walk away from this forum. It might be tough to do because some of these instigators are 10 year members, but it needs done.
    -only reason I saw this post is cause it popped up on my Facebook thread, I haven't been to PGH-Offroad in almost a year, with good reason. It really started to suck balls. Which is sad cause this site and the community that it represents has tons of potential.
    Hope things get better and hope to see everyone on the trails soon!
    This is the worst advice ever. All of it.
    If you only "allow" off road talk here then every thread will have chit chat about other subjects in it. Having different topic areas takes away nothing from the forum. Its simply a delegated area to discuss those things. If you dont want to read about guns and political views then dont read the threads. Why should those of us that do lose the option because you do not like it?
    Same goes for biking/hiking section.
    You need to realize that the "insults" are not always insults and grow up. Not every single comment needs a candy coated sugar wrapping on it. This is real life some of us are a bit more brash and forward then others. If it looks like shit and smells like shit then it must be shit. Dont post "your" half assed attempt at "fabrication" and expect us to tell you that you should have your own shop. Grow some thicker skin.
    You also need to realize that a lot of ball busting comes with this sport. It attracts Type A's. Whether the person knows each other or not.
    A lot of people here know each other really well, an outsider would think that our site is full of hate but an insider sees the humor.
    Either get on board or jump ship. Either way stop your whining about your feelings and get on the trails. No one cares.

Pgh-Offtopic
    Acer Offroad A♦A♣A♠A♥

Quote Originally Posted by Mykal View Post
    This is the worst advice ever. All of it.
    If you only "allow" off road talk here then every thread will have chit chat about other subjects in it. Having different topic areas takes away nothing from the forum. Its simply a delegated area to discuss those things. If you dont want to read about guns and political views then dont read the threads. Why should those of us that do lose the option because you do not like it?
    Same goes for biking/hiking section.
    You need to realize that the "insults" are not always insults and grow up. Not every single comment needs a candy coated sugar wrapping on it. This is real life some of us are a bit more brash and forward then others. If it looks like shit and smells like shit then it must be shit. Dont post "your" half assed attempt at "fabrication" and expect us to tell you that you should have your own shop. Grow some thicker skin.
    You also need to realize that a lot of ball busting comes with this sport. It attracts Type A's. Whether the person knows each other or not.
    A lot of people here know each other really well, an outsider would think that our site is full of hate but an insider sees the humor.
    Either get on board or jump ship. Either way stop your whining about your feelings and get on the trails. No one cares.
    I don't disagree with you overall - but you also don't have to slam people down to communicate your opinion, either. Thicker skin is fine and dandy, and some folks may get their panty's in a bunch too much, but I don't see any benefit in slamming someone down as hard as they have been. We're all here to talk about wheeling and raise each other up helping in it, right? That doesn't mean we can't say "Hey, dude, that tow hook probably isn't safe the way you mounted it, I wouldn't pull you out with that. Why don't you try this instead..."

Tap A talk is a must. I dont use websites from my phone or tablet unless they are on tap a talk.
    Its so much easier to browse the gajiliion forums Im on in the same app versus switching apps to do so. #FirstWorldProblems
    If they are not tap a talk accessible I dont visit them on a regular basis. Im not sure why more people dont use it, its a breeze to setup.

So back to free donut fridays ? I like the donut chef on 22. The pretzel donuts are so good you would slap your mama.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Good point on Tapatalk to visit multiple sites. I don't see why I can't have it installed, and also have a separate app for folks like me that are usually on a tablet on one site. It shouldn't conflict and you should be able to use whatever you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Scout View Post
    So back to free donut fridays ? I like the donut chef on 22. The pretzel donuts are so good you would slap your mama.
    No donuts. Mostly because I'm mad that Dunking Donuts won't let me open up a franchise down here. There's none around here and I want one!

Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    I don't disagree with you overall - but you also don't have to slam people down to communicate your opinion, either. Thicker skin is fine and dandy, and some folks may get their panty's in a bunch too much, but I don't see any benefit in slamming someone down as hard as they have been. We're all here to talk about wheeling and raise each other up helping in it, right? That doesn't mean we can't say "Hey, dude, that tow hook probably isn't safe the way you mounted it, I wouldn't pull you out with that. Why don't you try this instead..."
    I knew you were going to say that. I agree with it.

I also dont think that when someone makes fun of some one for something completely asinine that its a bad thing. 12" exhausts threads and such deserve what ever they get. In a real life situation Im not monitored and told "Hey! Be nice and dont laugh at the guy with giant balls hanging off his bumper." Why should a forum be any different? If "you" cant handle some ribbing on a forum "you" have much larger issues.

Over all this community has done a great job at policing its self over the years. Its pretty much weeded out the morons for the most part and no one has ended up dead; that we know of.

Good point on Tapatalk to visit multiple sites. I don't see why I can't have it installed, and also have a separate app for folks like me that are usually on a tablet on one site. It shouldn't conflict and you should be able to use whatever you like.
    Accessibility is key. The easier it is to use and the more comfortable it is for everyone the more use it will get.

No donuts. Mostly because I'm mad that Dunking Donuts won't let me open up a franchise down here. There's none around here and I want one!
    They just opened one in Morgantown outskirts. If they can do it so can you.

Thread Information