Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Changes are a-comin'

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    The thing that I don't get is that Facebook, Google+, Instagram, etc absolutely suck for "interest" groups. A single "page" is typically only good for one, maybe two, discussions at a given time. Any more than that and it's borderline impossible to keep track of. Heaven forbid you want to search for a discussion that happened 4 months ago on a really active page, either.

The advantage to Facebook, Google+, Instagram, etc. is that everything YOU do is in a central location, though. So there is no need to post a build thread in 3 different sites -- nor check three different sites for any questions.

IMO, the next big social network site is going to be one that bridges that gap. I'm not talking about integrating VBB with Facebook. I'm talking about a social media site with forum-like capabilities built into it. So, for example, you create a single build thread, tag it with the pages/classifications you want it to appear on, and that'd be equivalent to posting that same thread on each page. Each page can be organized in a timeline or a forum format, making it easy to find not only new activity, but also past activity. The page owner can control content and users similar to how it's already done in forum software.

Or maybe I'm just an old-disgruntled 32 year old computer programmer that prefers social media (of which I include forums) for learning about topics I'm interested in than telling everyone what type of sushi I had for dinner.
    That's a lot of insight. Who know what will happen but if Facebook and the like is sucking the wind out of interest group forums like this one, something's gotta give. Hopefully Mark whatever his name is, doesn't catch on first. I'm sick of facebook being central to everything. I tried to quit that too...LOL.

I agree that the groups do suck though. I hate searching the net and coming accoss Google+ discussions. They're terrible.
    Heat the hole freeze the shaft

I have quit Facebook and reduced time on forums so I have more time to be productive and interact with other human beings in person. I suspect that this will be more common as people realize there is no privacy online and that the net is full of idiots without boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    I have quit Facebook and reduced time on forums so I have more time to be productive and interact with other human beings in person. I suspect that this will be more common as people realize there is no privacy online and that the net is full of idiots without boundaries.
    I know this isn't exactly helping this thread...lol...but thats what I was getting at. There was a time when I was living every day on the forums, etc and it was getting weird. Walking away was refreshing but I still like to check in from time to time and hopefully people will be scheduling rides and stuff this summer.

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadman 94 xj View Post
    . New guys don't want to chime in on Jimmy's distributor problem when little Alex is talking about Jim's coke whore addiciton.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    The thing that I don't get is that Facebook, Google+, Instagram, etc absolutely suck for "interest" groups. A single "page" is typically only good for one, maybe two, discussions at a given time. Any more than that and it's borderline impossible to keep track of. Heaven forbid you want to search for a discussion that happened 4 months ago on a really active page, either.

The advantage to Facebook, Google+, Instagram, etc. is that everything YOU do is in a central location, though. So there is no need to post a build thread in 3 different sites -- nor check three different sites for any questions.

IMO, the next big social network site is going to be one that bridges that gap. I'm not talking about integrating VBB with Facebook. I'm talking about a social media site with forum-like capabilities built into it. So, for example, you create a single build thread, tag it with the pages/classifications you want it to appear on, and that'd be equivalent to posting that same thread on each page. Each page can be organized in a timeline or a forum format, making it easy to find not only new activity, but also past activity. The page owner can control content and users similar to how it's already done in forum software.

Or maybe I'm just an old-disgruntled 32 year old computer programmer that prefers social media (of which I include forums) for learning about topics I'm interested in than telling everyone what type of sushi I had for dinner.
    I agree 100%. Absolutely. In the meantime, I'm hoping to work on allowing this forum to "link" with facebook better. I'm not talking about anything post here crossing over, but if people can link their FB login with their screename here and/or use their facebook credentials to login, it becomes more accessible. There's SO MUCH forum software out there now it's shocking - and VB once once the best, but it's gone downhill since it was bought. And at almost $500 for the features I want, probably not the route we're taking.

I wish I was smart enough to invent the site that could bridge the gap as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    This.

I'm still on FB to interact with colleagues and friends that aren't local- but it's easy for me, I spent 8-12 days in front of 4 computer monitors, and that is my office chatter. Other than that, I avoid it now. Life is nice without it some times!

Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    I wish I was smart enough to invent the site that could bridge the gap as you said.
    Unless it's a truly distributed solution (hmmm -- a decentralized social media site?) it doesn't matter if you are smart enough or not -- you'd need to have the resources of Google, Facebook, etc. to actually deploy it.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 02-17-2014 at 04:36 PM.
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

Facebook started with nothing, and Google started with computers that were built out of Lego's as enclosures -- anything revolutionary will find funding fast. And it's that idea / plan that I'm not smart enough to get

Facebook started with nothing, and Google started with computers that were built out of Lego's as enclosures -- anything revolutionary will find funding fast. And it's that idea / plan that I'm not smart enough to get
    I don't think its a problem of brains. I think its a problem of over population. LOL

Yeah - my default board style changed this afternoon!!! THAT was UN-expected!!!
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

Diggin the color scheme fwiw.

I like PGH, it's one of the handful of forums I visit several times a day. I like the shooters section and the fact we can talk about anything and everything round here. It's a good forum about wheeling and life in general. I hate the pansy internet thugs on Pirate, so I rarely go on it. I only go there when I cannot find the info I need else where.
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

Trail Leader
    I like the site. I am on here just about everyday looking at what everyone else is doing while my truck sits in my driveway.
    85 4Runner "Garage Wheeler"

Web Wheeler!
    Quote Originally Posted by highlandercj-7 View Post
    I like PGH, it's one of the handful of forums I visit several times a day. I like the shooters section and the fact we can talk about anything and everything round here. It's a good forum about wheeling and life in general. I hate the pansy internet thugs on Pirate, so I rarely go on it. I only go there when I cannot find the info I need else where.
    x2. This is a good forum and it's nice to interact with local people who drive something different from what most of the other forums I frequent.

Change is good. (Except for me...I'm slightly color blind and have trouble seeing some of the new colors used to show that certain forums have new messages...sucks to be me.)
    _________
    Dave
    '99 Rover D2 w/stuff
    '96 Rover Disco1 5-spd and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by dcarr1971 View Post

Change is good. (Except for me...I'm slightly color blind and have trouble seeing some of the new colors used to show that certain forums have new messages...sucks to be me.)
    Check out the bottom left hand corner of each page, there's a drop-down box where you can choose other themes I've installed as well!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Check out the bottom left hand corner of each page, there's a drop-down box where you can choose other themes I've installed as well!
    This is the best post I've read on here in a long time! For more than one reason, including being color blind myself, this is a great feature!

Web Wheeler!
    Perfect. Fixed it! Thanks!
    _________
    Dave
    '99 Rover D2 w/stuff
    '96 Rover Disco1 5-spd and stuff

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Here's a question... how do we get rid of that "do you want to leave the page" thing that pups up all the time?
    ___
    Offroad design and Jeep parts
    www.AzzysDesignWorks.com
    facebook.com/AzzysDesignWorks
    @AzzyDesignWorks

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Here's a question... how do we get rid of that "do you want to leave the page" thing that pups up all the time?
    Sounds like a problem with your browser - that will only happen if you're started typing something, and didn't finish. But unless you started making a post, you should never see it. Whatever browser you're using, try another!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Happens even if I make a post and then try and go back to "latest posts", and happens on multiple computers and browsers.
    ___
    Offroad design and Jeep parts
    www.AzzysDesignWorks.com
    facebook.com/AzzysDesignWorks
    @AzzyDesignWorks

Weird. Is anyone else seeing what Azzy is? I believe you, just need to figure out why. I use Chrome on my Mac and PC, tested in FireFox and IE on 3 computers at my office, I can't replicate that at all. I figure it either needs to be something specific to your account, or some software that's installed on all of the computers you're trying it on.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! PatF10's Avatar
    Didn't the site a while back used to be black and gold colored. It's been a while but I seem to recall this color scheme.
    88YJ with some stuff
    74 cj5. 360 powered!
    F150 ecoboost.

Yes, the guy that wrote the theme hasn't updated it for new versions of vbulletin that we're on though. Eventually I'll get back there, but I'm not buying any more color themes until I'm sure I'm sure what software we're staying with.

Weird. Is anyone else seeing what Azzy is? I believe you, just need to figure out why. I use Chrome on my Mac and PC, tested in FireFox and IE on 3 computers at my office, I can't replicate that at all. I figure it either needs to be something specific to your account, or some software that's installed on all of the computers you're trying it on.
    Not seeing that problem either. Chrome here.

I only get it when I typed something but didn't post it before leaving/closing the page...
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

Trail Leader
    I would volunteer to help out a bit on web/computer related items. I have some experience with html,php,css and wordpress and a long time of system administration and break-fix for a living.

J.M.
    '02 WJ, 4" lift, 35s, 242HD, Ox locker - trussed Super30 front, ARB locker - trussed and skid plated D44a rear, OBA, winch, light bars and a kitchen sink.

Thread Information