Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
10mm who has one?

Thread: 10mm who has one?

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!

10mm who has one?

looking at the EAA witness. just contemplating a toy. wondered if anyone had a 10mm.
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Less posting, more wheeling!

Exclamation

I carried a S&W 1006 from '91 - '03. LOVED it, and the only thing I ever had to replace in it, was empty mags. Decided to standardize on 1911's in .45 after 9/11 though.

LOVED my EAA 9mm Witnesses in the early '90's, but the metallurgy is suspect in their 10mm builds. LOTTA cracked slides reported. Search some interwebz (there's an active thread right now on EAA 10mm issues on AR15Armory.com), before committing to it.

Homey don't do tactical tupperware, BUT... my BiL has owned a Glock 20 with no issues for almost 20 years, and Glock does seem to know how to build a decent 10mm, for which there are plentiful parts and mags in circulation.
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

thanks man. how'd you like the 10mm round? is it that much different than a .40?

i was looking for something that had a little bigger bang than my .40 or 9mm. if it shoots the same as a .40 it probably isn't worth it. but it seemed like a hot 10mm is approaching .41 mag loads... thought it could be fun...

10mm isn't really that expensive either. pretty on par with .45

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! jackb1's Avatar
    10mm is a cool round but why buy something obscure like that? If you're going to buy something a bit harder to find, then get the .41.

I've wanted a .41 for years but can't justify it. But you don't seem like a wheel gun kind of guy anyway, so if you want an obscure badass round, why not get something badass and go .50AE. Supposed to be pretty good in the Desert E since it isn't rimmed like all of the other ammo they try to run through that gun.
    It's not illegal, it's frowned upon.

Quote Originally Posted by jackb1 View Post
    10mm is a cool round but why buy something obscure like that? If you're going to buy something a bit harder to find, then get the .41.

I've wanted a .41 for years but can't justify it. But you don't seem like a wheel gun kind of guy anyway, so if you want an obscure badass round, why not get something badass and go .50AE. Supposed to be pretty good in the Desert E since it isn't rimmed like all of the other ammo they try to run through that gun.
    10mm is pretty available online. PPU has it in JHP for .46 a round, and available in 500 round cases. so it's really not bad.

if i get a wheel gun it'll be a .454 or .460 with a short barrel.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! jackb1's Avatar
    I really meant locally available since just about anything can be ordered online, but I understand what you mean. I was serious about the Desert E. Then you can say, "mine says point five oh. Yours says replica"
    It's not illegal, it's frowned upon.

Quote Originally Posted by jackb1 View Post
    I really meant locally available since just about anything can be ordered online, but I understand what you mean. I was serious about the Desert E. Then you can say, "mine says point five oh. Yours says replica"
    lol, that is true... i just watched that movie the other day lol.

field and stream has 10mm. i've seen it at most gun shops too. ya it's not 9mm or .45 but when the big scare hit i was seeing 10mm still on the shelves when nothing else was.

10mm is MUCH more plentiful than .41AE or .41 Magnum.

FULL HOUSE 10mm (and quite frankly, if you ain't runnin' full house ammo, you might as WELL carry a .40) is AMAZING stuff. We had an abandoned solid landfill we used to shoot at down in the sw mountains of NC when I was in college 20+ years ago - full of old couches, fridges, hot water heaters - and someone would occasionally drag a car hood, door, or fender over for practice. When I started putting Norma 170gr. JHP's THROUGH a '77 Continetal door - while standing 40' away - I KNEW I had something!

Hornady started making some pretty hot loadings - with lighter bullets - in the late '90's, but Cor-Bon is probably the only heavy, HOT, round you can find today. Of course, I haven't shopped for 10mm in over ten years - there probably is some new and good stuff out there, since the round has made something of a comeback this decade. Even though my 1006 only held 9 rounds, it would only take ONE round of good ammo, to ruin the career of a ne'er-do-well. Find a pistol you like, load 'er up, and sleep WELL at night...
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI

I want a G20 and an AR SBR in 10mm. Or ar pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    I want a G20 and an AR SBR in 10mm. Or ar pistol.

The HK-MP10 in (Identical to the MP5, only chambered for 10mm) was tha' BOMB.

I might even trade the RC for one of those and about a dozen mags.

Trail Leader
    I shot a glock 20 and 29 for about 10 years. Gave them up when I started traveling for work and had my house broken into while I was gone. Wish I would have kept them. But in a few hours I will be putting a few hundred rounds through my buddy's MP5/10 full auto. I was able to buy 400 rounds off the shelf at Anthony Arms.

PghOffRoad Regular
    I have been a fan of the SW 1006 for years. Have shot a few of them and never an issue with any, even when ridiculously dirty. I load down some low grain hard cast for chewing up paper. Typically 155gr at about 860-870fps. Its hard getting good consistency with my setup using Bulleye and Unique and for that matter Win748(rifle loads) They do well and we shoot a lot. Though my father likes his 40sw better. We run 180gr hard cast truncated though it at about 980fps and we tear stuff up with that load, also 165gr TMJs at about 1k even. Those are his carry rounds. I have since stopped carring my 1006 in favor of my Walther PPK/s in 380acp. Personal choice.
    Hooked my father up with the EAA Witness in 40sw about 16 years ago. Its sportin ports and a trigger job from the factory. Once you know the gun its super accurate. Took me about 20-25 rounds to get the hang of it but took him about 100. He is stubborn and loves his wheel guns. Going to an auto was a huge step for him. Now you couldn't pry the thing from him.
    All in all I think EAA makes a damned fine gun. I can't comment on their 10mm platform but the 9mm and 40sw I have used for years do very good. Someone once had a wheel gun in 10mm. It used half moon clips. I remember reading an article on it. I think it was Handgunner or Shooting Times. Seemed impressive and article stated the authors consideration in using it in the up coming deer season. Do not know if ever it was done but I think it would have done well as a revolver.
    The thing about the 10auto was that the FBI wanted it more than the 45 or 9s. However some of its people could not handle it or wield it effectively. To large of a frame and to much recoil for some. They then opted for the 40sw in a milder loading around 950fps (honestly on the cusp of 9mm power if you ask me, just a larger chunk of lead though the pipe)
    Last edited by MechanicalMayham; 07-12-2014 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Who here has ever misspelled every word in a sentence befroe, yep this assjack!
    My liver has a restraining order against me for abuse.

Thread Information