Thread: WJ axle upgrade

PghOffRoad Regular

WJ axle upgrade

Well after meeting up with another member of the forum and discussing our WJ's I come to find out I have a Dana 35 in the rear.I was under the assumtion that all WJ s came with a 44. Now I'm worried about blowing this this out and don't wanna 44a are there any other options besides spending thousands on an aftermarket axle my welding is slowly getting better and I wouldn't be afraid to strip a jy unit but I don't know what to look for as far as how to measure what to measure basically I know nothing about axles and need some input and a direction to start planning......

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Check with DMG - he might know where a WJ is lying around. It might have a 44 you could start with...
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! HeepH8erTy's Avatar
    East Coast Gear Supply's got your back....http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-616...-assembly.html how could you go wrong with a bolt in 60?
    02 ZR2 Sonoma- 4.3, 5spd, DD/Bike Hauler
    07 TRX400EX- XRC-ish woods krewser
    04 KX220 Hybrid Woods Weapon
    97 KDX220 Plated Street/Woods beater

Need some Powder Coating done? Let me know!

Look for a Ford 8.8. Most commonly found in Explorers & Rangers. They come with Disc Brakes, 31 spline shafts, close to factory width, and decent list of available upgrades. If your planning on locking it with a lunchbox style locker, stay away from the limited slip models as you'll have to swap carriers to make it work.

You can usually find a clean, low mileage 8.8 on craigslist ranging anywhere from $150 to $500. Unless it has the gears you need and ready to bolt in, I wouldn't pay more than $300 for one though. Most junkyards will want $200-250.

Places like RuffStuff and Ballistic offer swap kits with all the brackets you'd need to make the swap. Installation isn't all that difficult, but you should definitely get someone that's done this type of work before to give you a hand. Also, if your still learning your way around a welder, I wouldn't recommend this as project to learn on - haha.

There's a lot of guys running 37's+ on these axles without any issues.

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Check with DMG - he might know where a WJ is lying around. It might have a 44 you could start with...
    The only stock rear axle on WJs besides the 35 are 44A a.k.a 44HD. Whole different beast than a 44.
    If you consider replacing the rear end, you may as well get a matching new front with it. You're running 3.55 gears. As far as i know, most 8.8 are equipped with 3.73. Regearing your WJ front requires a new carrier as the break point is: up to 3.55 and 3.73 and up.
    Unless you are planing to lock your 35, i would not be concerned. Maybe truss it (Valhalla Fabrication ~$180) to prevent bending if you jump your WJ.

J.M.
    '02 WJ, 4" lift, 35s, 242HD, Ox locker - trussed Super30 front, ARB locker - trussed and skid plated D44a rear, OBA, winch, light bars and a kitchen sink.

PghOffRoad Regular
    Thanks guys I appreciate all the info I can breath a bit easier knowing there are options out there .I think as long as she holds up and cash permits. The D60 my be in my looooong term future. If I did decide on fabrication I have a professional welder in the family .I really just needed a direction to start planning like I said before this is hopefully a distant future upgrade and someday will be a trail only rig someday. Thanks again everybody

Trail Leader
    You're running 33's right? Do you think the rear ends going to explode just because it's a 35? Why not just run it since it hasn't given you any problems and save your money for something else, there's a lot of us running locked 35s that get beat on and haven't had a problem yet, mine has been locked with 35s for 5+ years and hasn't given me any problems. If it's a concern throw some alloy axles into it.
    97 Ram 2500 V10 5 Spd on 33 ST'S, Intake and Headers soon to be leveled with 4:10s
    99 TJ 4.0 32rh, 231 SYE 2wd low locked 30/35 with 4:10s on 35 KM2
    05 Rubi on 35 STTs-Broken

^ Agreed. I mean d35's are crap but they definately take more abuse than a lot of people give them credit for. Most I've seen do damage were locked on 35's with stock shafts. And they weren't being easy on it by any means. I'd run it.
    Heat the hole freeze the shaft

PghOffRoad Regular
    I'm concerned just because of the mileage and it has been used to tow my bike down to Daytona up wards of 9 or 10 times hauling scrap pulling trees she's had a harder life than most gc's not to mention my right foot makes up 80% of my body weight .I did and still do maintain her well I just panicked when I found out it was a 35 and kinda lost some sleep over it too . I tend to worry about stupid stuff most of the time .I knew going in my options were limited even considered trading it in for an XJ but with 3 boys I need all of the room I can get.I have a very long list of stuff to build and buy and the longer I can hold off on axles the better.even looking into a trailer to haul it around on trail days just in case.its my daily but in reality I only drive it a couple times a week to the store and back trying to save on wear and tear
    Last edited by wj lizard; 04-30-2014 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wj lizard View Post
    I'm concerned just because of the mileage and it has been used to tow my bike down to Daytona up wards of 9 or 10 times hauling scrap pulling trees she's had a harder life than most gc's not to mention my right foot makes up 80% of my body weight .I did and still do maintain her well I just panicked when I found out it was a 35 and kinda lost some sleep over it too . I tend to worry about stupid stuff most of the time .I knew going in my options were limited even considered trading it in for an XJ but with 3 boys I need all of the room I can get.I have a very long list of stuff to build and buy and the longer I can hold off on axles the better.even looking into a trailer to haul it around on trail days just in case.its my daily but in reality I only drive it a couple times a week to the store and back trying to save on wear and tear
    Just research stuff and have fun with it. Nothing you've described is worth worring about and don't worry (haha) I'm the same way. 8.8 is a great option. Sure they're c-clip still but you'll never break a shaft to have to think about it. Maybe enjoy what you have and get your ducks in a row for that later on.

Definately don't swap out a d35 just because its a d35..is what I'm trying to say.

PghOffRoad Regular
    I'm not gonna just change it to change it I don't have that kinda time or cash right now. I still haven't gotten my rear fender flares on yet for Pete sakes haha

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend. When I had my WJ I bought front and rear complete change overs to the D44 from a rubicon from IRO. However, I think it was close to $10k for them since Mopar raised axle prices.. IRO had to raise their prices too. Like JM said, just remember that the ones that came stock in a WJ were the D44A axles not the normal D44.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Ragnorox is running a 35 locked in the rear of his YJ still and it has been good to him on 33s and 35's, he only broke one shaft I think, trying to turn around in a creek to help Mykal where he destroyed a 30 in the front of his XJ, and a door, and a hatch, and both balljoints on the driver side....yeah that was a good day
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

PghOffRoad Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner97 View Post
    Ragnorox is running a 35 locked in the rear of his YJ still and it has been good to him on 33s and 35's, he only broke one shaft I think, trying to turn around in a creek to help Mykal where he destroyed a 30 in the front of his XJ, and a door, and a hatch, and both balljoints on the driver side....yeah that was a good day
    Mykals day sounds like my luck but as soon as I can get some of this scrap outta my garage and get my winch off of the old JK bumper and get it sold I'm dieing to find out how long it will last I may hit the junkyard by the end of summer and build up a 35 a little bit as a back up but the tube rockers and bumper are first priority unless some one else has anymore input

Trail Leader
    Are you planning on fabricating rockers or purchase?
    '02 WJ, 4" lift, 35s, 242HD, Ox locker - trussed Super30 front, ARB locker - trussed and skid plated D44a rear, OBA, winch, light bars and a kitchen sink.

PghOffRoad Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by J.M. View Post
    Are you planning on fabricating rockers or purchase?
    Fabbing up rockers with 2 x 8 rectangle tubing will be 2 fold step and protection should only stick out passed the flares just enough .

Thread Information