Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

WJ build for outdoor fun - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WJ build for outdoor fun

Less posting, more wheeling!
    I need one of them pgh-offroad templates to bolt onto my house.......to fulfill a recent demand....
    "You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter"

JM and Tow Hook. I'm preparing to install some sliders and I'm considering removing material from my rockers and mounting them as you have. My rockers are perfectly fine but I'd like to have them up a little higher.

I ordered these Trail Gear DIY sliders: http://www.jegs.com/i/Trail-Gear/542...1-KIT/10002/-1

They look nice and they're well made but another issue with using them on the WJ is how far out they stick. That's another reason why I'd like to mount them inside the rockers as you have.

Based on your experiences with your rockers, do you think the round tube of the Trail Gear rockers would lend itself well to mounting inside the panel as you guys did?

PghOffRoad Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jcconnell View Post
    JM and Tow Hook. I'm preparing to install some sliders and I'm considering removing material from my rockers and mounting them as you have. My rockers are perfectly fine but I'd like to have them up a little higher.

I ordered these Trail Gear DIY sliders: http://www.jegs.com/i/Trail-Gear/542...1-KIT/10002/-1

They look nice and they're well made but another issue with using them on the WJ is how far out they stick. That's another reason why I'd like to mount them inside the rockers as you have.

Based on your experiences with your rockers, do you think the round tube of the Trail Gear rockers would lend itself well to mounting inside the panel as you guys did?
    two things I see, 1 you will need a pinch seem to attach them to or a 2x6" new rocker like you started to mount them to, as well as using the kickers/ anchor points to the frame the farther they stick out the more leverage they will have and want to flex or bend. 2 what is the length of the sliders ? they maybe way to long, then you'd have to cut them down, and that would add some expence. i'd get some one to bend you a 1 3/4 .120 dom tube, and weld them up I like I did, they are close but still stick out far enough past the door to protect it on level ground. hope my rambings helps some

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    I've seen a ZJ with round tubing welded into the rockers as sliders. Looked like poo but it worked.

Trail Leader
    Couple new things that happened over the last 8 months or so.

Got the rockers finished:

As you can also see, I also added some DIY flares to be PA street legal (got pulled over by a cop and paid for my audacity of running 35s).
    '02 WJ, 4" lift, 35s, 242HD, Ox locker - trussed Super30 front, ARB locker - trussed and skid plated D44a rear, OBA, winch, light bars and a kitchen sink.

Trail Leader
    I also got my power hook-ups done:

plugs from left to right: 12V out, 110V in, solar panel connector
    The solar panels charge the house battery, and if I run a shower pump or air compressor outside I plug into the 12V output.

I also built the fold up solar panels, the charge controller is an off the shelf unit.

When shore power is available the house battery gets charged by the hardwired charger and I have the outlet for additional stuff.
    '02 WJ, 4" lift, 35s, 242HD, Ox locker - trussed Super30 front, ARB locker - trussed and skid plated D44a rear, OBA, winch, light bars and a kitchen sink.

Trail Leader
    I finally got a spare carrier that fits my needs.

Trail Leader
    And I have a tablet setup for back-up camera, navigation (off-road and on-road), on-board diagnostics and music (mp3 and pandora).

I fixed up a storage compartment for the tablet to keep it in the vehicle, but out of sight when parking over night. The tablet slides in and is held in place by magnets.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    More pics of tire carrier. How does it mount to the hatch, I hope some reinforcement and not just bolts.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Trail Leader
    3M double sided tape, man! It's all good!

But seriously, steel strips on the inside of the hatch matched up to the ones on the out side. The sheet metal of the hatch is sandwiched between them. I can sit on the tire and the carrier and hatch don't budge.

Cheers
    Juergen

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Impressive! That's what I envisioned just wasnt sure. Nice build!
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Trail Leader
    Time to update this thread again.
    Someone parted out their WJ and I got my hands on a IRO long arm kit with 4-link rear and rear crossmember. That derailed my plans of Clayton lift in the front, but I can't pass up a good deal. Also got his 242HD and front and rear drive shafts. That and the extra set of axles I have to rebuilt and reinforce, I have enough work for a month in the garage, but still no time to get started
    Smaller things that I was working on in the meantime:

replaced the rusted out spring perches on my current axles

replaced the rusted through exhaust and at the same time made room for the rear crossmember. More intricate pipework will be needed once the long arms are installed.
    Last edited by J.M.; 05-24-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Trail Leader

Mounted my fridge in the back on a slide out that also has a slide out work surface in it.

And I can see the controller display from the driver seat.

Trail Leader
    Also replaced my front upper control arm bushings. The old bushing fell out when I removed the control arm. Just wow.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    AH, I totally saw you on 65 earlier this year and was like, "Did that guy really mount the tire like that?" haha. Looks like it's working. What are you using to hold the hatch up when you open it.

Trail Leader
    Yeah, I am on 65 a lot.
    I got custom struts holding the hatch.They are even strong enough to open the hatch by them self's once you get it started.

PghOffRoad Regular
    awwa coil mount rot, gotta do mine too, iro is the cheapest with some diy work. will that large muffler fit with your new links we did have any room, so we got a spin tech muffler and it fit great, it's a grass burner 9 months a year, and get a tail pipe for inspection. looks great keep up the good work
    57 3b, 98 xj, 02 wj, an a go kart with boost

Trail Leader
    Thanks!
    The muffler is only about 14" long, I figured it should fit between the front and rear crossmember. I can also move it forward another 3" if I have too. I want to keep the exhaust dumping behind the rear axle at all cost. Will require some creative fabrication, though.

Trail Leader
    Swapped the 247 for a 242HD. Rear driveshaft has to follow suite because of length and slip yoke differences. I was surprised how much bigger the output shaft of the 242HD is compared to the 247. In terms of specs, they are not all that far apart (1800 ft.lbs. vs. 2050 ft.lbs.).

Trail Leader
    Things are moving fast lately. I installed my rear 4-link long arms and put a turn down on the muffle for now. However, the exhaust sounds pretty awesome right now, so I am tempted to keep the turndown.

Thread Information