Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Misfit - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Misfit

www.RalphsOffRoad.com RalphDogg's Avatar
    The Tracker is in storage for a few months while I work on my house this summer. I have been searching for cheap metal I can use to make a tube bed and I scored this lawn cart on Craig's. I think I can message this turd into some type of truck bed.

pic host

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Is the trailer Japanese? lol

I like the idea
    Heat the hole freeze the shaft

Since fall is here I am getting back into this build. I am still collecting junk parts to make this my misfit build. A few weeks ago I picked up a parts tracker for $100 with a title. I only need the rear axle but couldn't pass it up for the price. It's getting dismantled and categorized. I also dug out a pair of antique (1930?) florescent shop lights out of the garbage, they will be repurposed for rear fenders.... You'll see

upload images

picture share
    Last edited by RalphDogg; 10-03-2015 at 11:05 PM.

Shop lights for fenders..........that's just awesome.
    "You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter"

I finally hauled this project to my shop in hopes to work on it in my extra time. My time is still limited but I'm making enough progress to post a pic. I cut the brackets off of my donor rear axle and hacked the rear frame off of the tracker. Now I'm deciding on the wheelbase and size of my rear bed. I already know I will be making a custom rear driveshaft so an exact wheelbase is not important. The rear of the bed will end where the leaf spring shackles mount to the frame, basically a bobbed bed. Since the tires will be less than a 33", my wheelbase needs to be somewhat short, but I don't want this thing to look more awkward thank it already is.

image url upload

Got the yard cart cut up and cut down. It looks like my wheelbase will be around 102", I wanted a shorter stance but the extra bed space will be nice for the fuel cell and spare tire. Next step it to mate the bed and axle to the tracker and make a tailgate.

adult picture hosting
    Last edited by RalphDogg; 02-07-2016 at 07:51 PM.

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    Cool project.

Your old X90 is up for sale for 5K if you know anyone hunting a turn key wheeler.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by RalphDogg View Post
    Got the yard cart cut up and cut down. It looks like my wheelbase will be around 102", I wanted a shorter stance but the extra bed space will be nice for the fuel cell and spare tire. Next step it to mate the bed and axle to the tracker and make a tailgate.
    HOLY cow - full-size Broncos only had a 104" wheelbase! You'll need a 428 SCJ to power that thing!

And it still has nicer rock rails than my RC...
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by gonecheenin View Post
    Cool project.

Your old X90 is up for sale for 5K if you know anyone hunting a turn key wheeler.
    That doesn't surprise me, I have had my hands into so many projects theres always one for sale out there. I think I'm getting burnt out on projects, but I am obsessed and keep creating more. I need help.

I scrapped the idea of using the lawn cart for a bed, I could not make it work withe the Tracker body lines. I am now going where I have never gone before and decided on a tube bed design. Tube work takes so much time, it's been years since I have played with tube and now I remember why I avoided it.

Mocking up the main hoop and frame mounts.

capture screen

Trying to figure out what the hell I am going to make.

free photo hosting

I scrapped the idea of using the lawn cart for a bed, I could not make it work withe the Tracker body lines. I am now going where I have never gone before and decided on a tube bed design. Tube work takes so much time, it's been years since I have played with tube and now I remember why I avoided it.

capture screen

free photo hosting

You need to finish that thing. Wheeling season is upon us.
    Never blame the beer. It's only there to lend a hand.

[url=http://postimg.org/image/dwtcg0kbx/full/]

Nice job. People don't realize how much work it takes to get something like that symmetrical. Its a pain in the ass.
    Last edited by Deadman 94 xj; 04-03-2016 at 09:41 PM.
    Heat the hole freeze the shaft

I had a few hours today with no interruptions to get the bed all tacked up. I'm pretty pumped to get the rest of the bed made and see what this thing will turn into.

upload a picture

The tracker finally sits on four wheels again. It's not ready for paint and state inspection, but I feel like I'm over the hump and moving forward. Here are a couple of pictures of the finished suspension other than shocks. I had to make shackles, take a leaf out to soften the suspension, and pretty much make every little piece. The design changed 1 million times and hopefully this one will function well.

pic upload

image sharing

free photo hosting

I have about 2 1/2 inches of up travel with rubber bumpstops, not real sure how much down travel I will get out of the leafs.

After a few weekends and late nights I finished the tube bed. I adddd a few more bars to the cage and mocked up the fuell cell. I managed to fab up a tailgate and tire carrier all in one. So pumped on how it turned out and I made it all with scrap parts laying around the shop. I disassembled it for the last time and I can start painting it and move forward! Finally a finished product!

upload a gif

how to take a screenshot on a pc

image hosting free

gifs upload

I actually bought a fuel cell from Amazon.

img hosting

I know I don't show my face often on here but I do occasionally troll. So I'm back yet again with updates.
    I've gotten a few projects knocked off my list and I am heading back into this Tracker project full swing.
    I dug her out of storage last weekend and I am still digging out parts from various locations, it's hard to find all these little pieces from over the years. I painted it with tractor supply brand "implement" Ford blue, which is basically Rusteloium and it started assembling over the weekend! Pictures will be downloaded soon
    Last edited by RalphDogg; 10-02-2017 at 07:29 AM.

Excellent!

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Thank God. I hoped you were still plugging on this. It's so cool.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

I managed to get a couple of pictures of the painting process. I painted most of the parts inside and the rest was done outside...with the bugs. I ran out of daylight but got a quick couple of coats on her.

I towed it back to my house where I started to assemble the big stuff to see quick progress. There are a TON of parts still to install and then on to the mechanical and shit for Pa inspection. I still have yet to make a punch list but Im sure its long.

PghOffRoad Regular
    That looks awesome. Nice work.

I managed to get a couple of pictures of the painting process. I painted most of the parts inside and the rest was done outside...with the bugs. I ran out of daylight but got a quick couple of coats on her.

I towed it back to my house where I started to assemble the big stuff to see quick progress. There are a TON of parts still to install and then on to the mechanical and shit for Pa inspection. I still have yet to make a punch list but Im sure its long.

Looks good Ralph. Maybe I'll get the X inspected so we can hit the trails soon.
    Never blame the beer. It's only there to lend a hand.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Wow that thing actually looks really good. I had dreams of doing something like that with my zuki without stretching the wheelbase,but it never happened. Not to mention mine is way too rusty to save or ever turn street legal. I really like the bed idea, it would be useful for sure.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Nice Job Ralph!
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Thread Information