Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
5 years in the making: 1961 Willys Pickup

Thread: 5 years in the making: 1961 Willys Pickup

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar

5 years in the making: 1961 Willys Pickup

My dad has been working on this truck for 5 years and it had its maiden voyage this past weekend at the Bantam Jeep Heritage Festival.

When he purchased it the Ford 289 and 4 speed swap was complete, the drive train, brakes, suspension, and frame were done, but the cab was in primer, firewall needed fabricated, new bed kit needed assembled, and a million little things from the throttle to the stereo needed done. We did the bed liner ourselves and a local guy did the paint. 11 coats gives the Ford Ruby Red a depth and shine you have to see in person.

It was down to the wire. Two weeks ago one of the windshields cracked during installation. Kaiser Willys sent a replacement quickly. Last week the carb was acting up and a local mechanic rebuilt it and saved the day. Three weeks ago, it was sitting on wide tires and polished aluminum AR wheels, but I convinced my dad with a photoshop that original wheels with NDT tires was the way to go. Boy is he happy with that last minute decision. Ironically I had been pushing for those since this project started, and even gave him a set of wheels and some rollers, hoping it would grow on him. It wasn't until the paint was dry and it was on the modern tires in the garage did he realize I was right (the spare was always going to be an NDT on a painted factory wheel). You can see he installed some small LED marker lights and he went with LED tail lights, otherwise the outside appearance is stock, just how I like it. Then you hear the V8 rev...

The hard work and hours upon hours payed off. The compliments, questions, and pictures were endless. Enough people said it was the best paint job there that I believe it without having walked around much myself.

The only thing I think is missing are some stakes and wood side boards for the bed. Maybe one full board and a half board on top of it.

Web Wheeler!
    very nice

PghOffRoad Regular
    Wow, that looks great!
    90 YJ with some stuff..
    66 M35A2

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice...

I would LOVE to have come up this year, but was too busy this spring to even register... and I had a funeral Friday afternoon as it worked out anyways. Hope to see it next year, HOPEFULLY!
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Good job swaying him to the steelies over wide ARs, that's how that truck is supposed to look there!

Love it
    Heat the hole freeze the shaft

Nice
    Saved by Grace

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation. – James Madison

Trail Leader
    My cousin (the painter) showed me pictures of it over the weekend. Looks great!
    99 TJ
    11 Ram 1500

Very nice!
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

Wow. I just filled a bucket of drool. Very nice!

I need to pm ya about the wheels.
    "You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter"

Trail Leader
    My brother and I were parked right down the block from the old gas company building, near the bank. I saw your Dad's truck up close, and that paint is awesome. Glad he didn't suffer any problems during the "OverheatFest" on route 8.
    78 Jeep CJ5 304 3 spd BDS w 33s

08 Subaru FXT Forester turbo wagon

06 Dodge 2500 Q-cab 4x4 Cummins

Above all else, be armed. --Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by Meeke View Post
    My cousin (the painter) showed me pictures of it over the weekend. Looks great!
    Ah, I totally forgot you're his cousin haha!

He did spectacular work. He hope he gets to be around it at a show and soak in the compliments. He really needs to bring his lady around it so she can appreciate what he did with all his time over the past few months.

Quote Originally Posted by HoodRN View Post
    My brother and I were parked right down the block from the old gas company building, near the bank. I saw your Dad's truck up close, and that paint is awesome. Glad he didn't suffer any problems during the "OverheatFest" on route 8.
    His electric fan barely kept it cool. We're going to have to find a pusher or a puller with more shroud.

Thread Information