Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Project Barney (1996 ZJ)

Thread: Project Barney (1996 ZJ)

Web Wheeler!

Project Barney (1996 ZJ)

Well I finally got rid of the CJ sad to see it go but on to the next project. Ended up at a used car lot to find a beautiful purple beast, 96 ZJ. NP242, D30/35, NP242, Auto and only 80k miles! First order of business was to dyno it and see what kind of monster numbers it would put down. It laid down an impressive 112 hp @4700rpm and 128ft/lbs @4000rpm. To address this I got a new 3 inch summit cat back exhaust (sounds like a pissed off vacuum now), 3 in high flow cat, new accel cap/rotor/wires/plugs, an K&N air filter, and Accel coil. (ended up replacing the accel coil because it was bad from the factory). After 400 some dollars we ended up pushing the dyno to its limits and cranking out 142hp and 162ft/lbs of torque. I really woke up the old tired jeep and didn't shift as often but the exhaust is a little much for me and sticks out wayyyy to far and hangs low. Bigger tires and lift was needed. Iron rock offroad 3.5 inch f/r lift with adjustable front and rear track bars, d tech 8000 shocks, rubicon express steering stabilzer, some 32x11.50-15 pro comp xtreme all terrains and some pro comp steel wheels with 3.75 in backspacing. After a painful install, mainly because of all the seized bolts, it all got put together. Just had to take the sawzall to the front bumper and get an alignemt. It'll do 65-70mph on the highway no problem. It does have a little bumpsteer but it is not bad and some play in the steering wheel but it is not bad. I haven't had much time behind the wheel and only a little time on the trail with it since I am now back at WVU. I am very happy with all the upgrade so far and it took the little mall crawler and made it into a mall crawler but with a little more attitude. Hitting every little bump will remind you that you are driving a unibody vehicle with stock control arms. It is a build in progress though. The dana 35 is a tad sketchy but will do for now. Next I have to install the IRO transfer case skid and try to find a winch bumper that I like but isn't going to kill my college kid budget. Some future upgrades will be the winch bumper, unibody stiffeners and some sort of rock rails. I will post in a couple of weeks to give the full update on all the upgrades and maybe get a little trail ride in over my labor day break. Shoot some questions if you have them about anything and I am looking for any ZJ parts out there and also will be hunting for a full time Mechanical Engineering Position in the Pittsburgh area.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    i like trains

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    You go to WVU, you doin any wheelin down there? We used to go all the time. I slap a plate on my buggy here fore' too long i'll be going back
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Where did you dyno it at?

Web Wheeler!
    Every chance I get on the weekends to do a little weekend wheeling I take it but nothing too crazy since it is my DD and with schoool. But I want to take a trip to king knob offroad pretty soon. This past weekend I did a little wheeling on a buddys farm and on some pretty knarly "county" roads in southern WV. Before we headed out, I had to stop the tire carnage that was happening at full lock from the 32’s on the inner fender lip. After cutting it up , beating it back and painting it the tire cutting stopped. I also discovered some rust holes starting through the rocker panels that were covered up by the plastic trim. Will be making some future plans for rocker protection that will cut out the rocker entirely. Offroad it did well for what I was doing, except for ripping off the bumper twice, and some undercarriage carnage. Will have to mount up my Iron Rock Offroad belly skid very soon to stop the cat and transfer from getting banged up. Other than that Barney is coming along and doing just what I need it to.

Need to Finish:
    Mounting Iron Rock Offroad Belly Skid
    Cutting out and patching rocker rust holes

Future Add ons:
    Ford 8.8 w/ 4.10’s and factory posi
    Some winch mounting for my Warn (rough country zj mount, or FilthyAddictionsOffroad, custom something)

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

i like trains

Did you set your bumpstops cuz the picture shows factory bumps.
    "You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter"

Web Wheeler!
    Finally got a good deal on a Rough Country Winch mount so I ended up mounting it up this weekend. The directions were straight forward and so was the installation. Looks really good on the front with the hellas that I added to it. Next I need to weld on a stinger and some side supports with square tubing to protect the lights. I also pushed in my rocker panels trying to jack up the jeep with my hi lift after my brakes locked up on a back road, so 2x6 rectangular tube will soon replace the rocker panels.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    i like trains

That's kind of like my Detours Backbone setup.

"You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter"

Web Wheeler!
    Alot of work has been going on with old Barney since summer started. Cut out the old rusty rocker panels and replaced them with 2x6 3/16 wall. Finally did some tlc in the front end and driveshaft. Had a lot of fun playing around in wild and wonderful WV and seeing what my next step will be in the build.

Next steps

Weld on IRO unibody stiffners
    Install IRO belly skid
    Start welding up Ruff Stuff DIY long arm kit and also making a custom 2x6 crossmember
    Finishing cutting up stock front sheet metal and making stinger
    Rip out carpet and get internal roll cage tacked in
    Locate and buy some new axles, going to find HP44 and 9 inch hopefully already set up for zj with 4 link rear.
    i like trains

Web Wheeler!
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    i like trains

Web Wheeler!
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    i like trains

Web Wheeler!
    Those are 36x12.50-15 tsl's that I got a crazy price on brand new that will be the next tire size step after I can get some full widths underneath her.
    i like trains

The ZJ's looking good. Where ae you in the last pick pick the river? Did you ever look into Logan's Metal Fab for the bumpers. They do kick azz work for a good price. They are always on Pittsburgh craigslist.
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

Electrical issues.

Quote Originally Posted by rtpalko View Post
    Finally got a good deal on a Rough Country Winch mount so I ended up mounting it up this weekend. The directions were straight forward and so was the installation. Looks really good on the front with the hellas that I added to it. Next I need to weld on a stinger and some side supports with square tubing to protect the lights. I also pushed in my rocker panels trying to jack up the jeep with my hi lift after my brakes locked up on a back road, so 2x6 rectangular tube will soon replace the rocker panels.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    You wouldn't know where to get a wiring diagram of a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Web Wheeler!
    Picked up a set of 1/2 ton axles for a good price. 1976 Ford F-150 hp Dana 44 and 9 inch combo. They have 3.50 gears. Trying to decide how to build these to handle my 36 inch swampers. Might just do it on the cheap and go mini spool and lunch box locker, since it'll be trailered. Any suggestions? 4 link rear? I have a ruff stuff diy long arm for the front.
    i like trains

Web Wheeler!
    i like trains

Web Wheeler!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    i like trains

PghOffRoad Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rtpalko View Post
    Picked up a set of 1/2 ton axles for a good price. 1976 Ford F-150 hp Dana 44 and 9 inch combo. They have 3.50 gears. Trying to decide how to build these to handle my 36 inch swampers. Might just do it on the cheap and go mini spool and lunch box locker, since it'll be trailered. Any suggestions? 4 link rear? I have a ruff stuff diy long arm for the front.
    the rear should be 31 spline, you can run those axles with out a problem. I ran 36" irocs on 28 spline shafts. as for the axle mounts rustys has them cheap, but ruff stuff would be better. you should be able to to get all your mounts from them. as far a mini spool, that or lunch box locker, fyi the ring gear must be pulled and the carrier split to install the locker, as for the front tnt customs make a real nice truss that will bolt it right under your zj, or you can go ruff stuff like you already have the long arm kit. to 4 link the rear i'd make a belly pan rear cross member to do the 4 link mounts. that way your semi flat bottomed and you have a reinforce rear crossmember.

hope that helps
    57 3b, 98 xj, 02 wj, an a go kart with boost

Too bad, I can't see the pic anymore.

Thread Information