Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My first Jeep Build in nearly a decade...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My first Jeep Build in nearly a decade...

PghOffRoad Regular

Thumbs up My first Jeep Build in nearly a decade...

So I finally got officially started on my Jeep Build. I've had a stock '05 TJ that I've been driving around in for about 6-7 months and I finally pieced together everything I want to do. About a month and a half ago I ordered a set of axles from ECGS. The showed up about 2 weeks ago and I started putting them in last week. The rear is just about done, some of the things they don't tell you is that 12 years of exposure to the elements means they're not exactly "bolt in". But that's more of an annoyance of me forgetting what it's like to wrench on an old vehicle. As far as ECGS's quality, I'm pleased and everything did line right up. In the rear, I went with a Ford 8.8 geared to 3.73:1 and a limited slip. I had them add disc brakes for a little extra stopping power. I threw on an 1.5" budget lift to get me a little more clearance until I plunk down some dough on a proper lift kit. The front is getting a Dana 30 HP with chromoly shafts, also geared in 3.73. I've also purchased a Spartan Locker for the front and plan on dropping that in before it goes under the Jeep. The rest of Phase 1 will be an 1.25" Body lift/1" Motor Mount lift and some 33X10.5R15's.

Phase 2 will be a locker for the rear, tummy tuck and SYE kit, along with a proper 3" lift kit and body armor. I'm looking at Undercover Fab for my tummy tuck/skid plates and Metal Cloak for my lift and body armor. I'm still working out the final phase of my build, but it'll basically be everything I need to step up to 35's or possibly 37's. I'm leaning towards 35's, but it's long enough off that I have time to decide. Plus the build out isn't that much different. Right now I know I'll be adding a big brake kit, and hydro assist steering. I still have to figure out how much wider I'll have to go and all the other details, but some of that is going to have to wait until the first two phases are done.

I would add pictures, but for some reason I'm not allowed. Maybe it's my low post count. Here's a link to Photo Bucket in the mean time: http://s100.photobucket.com/user/BonHolla/library/2017-11-15%20Jeep%20Build

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Looks good! I would consider deeper gears than 3.73 for 35”-37” tires though.

PghOffRoad Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Looks good! I would consider deeper gears than 3.73 for 35”-37” tires though.
    I agree, just accidentally left that off. I'll probably be at 4.10 or 4.56 by the end. Right now I'm on 3.07s and the 3.73s will get me close to 3.07 with 33's installed. That way I can keep close to factory gearing until I jump up to big tires.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    33's and 4.56's are ideal. 3.73's are going to struggle on the highway
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

and if it's an 03 auto you might as well go 4.88s lol

PghOffRoad Regular
    It's a 4.0L, 6-Speed Manual Transmission. In stock form it rides on 215/75R15's with 3.07s. I bought it with 235/75R15's and 3.07s which works out to a corrected ratio of about 2.94. Going to 33's and getting back to stock ratio, I would have to go to 3.66. 3.73s are a bit better than that so I'm thinking it'll be alright.

I love my 35s and 4.56s in my XJ. IF I had a Dana 44 front put together I'd have gone 4.88
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I remember the days of my old TJ getting passed by school buses on hills with 3.07’s and 33’s. Lol. For whatever reason that jeep was always a turd even stock, with 33’s 5th gear didn’t even exist. I would go with as much gear as you can stand when you do it, you will want it sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusGT View Post
    It's a 4.0L, 6-Speed Manual Transmission. In stock form it rides on 215/75R15's with 3.07s. I bought it with 235/75R15's and 3.07s which works out to a corrected ratio of about 2.94. Going to 33's and getting back to stock ratio, I would have to go to 3.66. 3.73s are a bit better than that so I'm thinking it'll be alright.
    You're completely leaving weight and rolling resistance out of the equation.

Hope the 3.73s work out for you. Sounds like a cool build.

PghOffRoad Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002wranglerX View Post
    You're completely leaving weight and rolling resistance out of the equation.

Hope the 3.73s work out for you. Sounds like a cool build.
    Thanks! I hope it works out too.

Actually, I did consider rolling resistance and weight. And honestly, I think the difference is overrated. Doing the math, you lose about 4ft/lbs of torque and about 6hp when you go from 215/75R15 with 3.07s to 33X10.5R15 with 3.73s. That's easily made up by helping the 4.0L breath better. A cold Air Intake, 62mm Throttle Body, Headers, and High flow exhaust will net you about 20hp and close to 20ft/lbs of torque. So if it becomes an issue, I can always freshen up the 4.0L.

The only real difference is in the unsprung weight. With the weight difference between the F8.8 and the bigger tires, handling and ride quality will be sacrificed. But then again, that's expected. And I don't think you can overcome that when your goal is to go bigger.

PghOffRoad Regular

Actually, I did consider rolling resistance and weight. And honestly, I think the difference is overrated. Doing the math, you lose about 4ft/lbs of torque and about 6hp when you go from 215/75R15 with 3.07s to 33X10.5R15 with 3.73s. That's easily made up by helping the 4.0L breath better. A cold Air Intake, 62mm Throttle Body, Headers, and High flow exhaust will net you about 20hp and close to 20ft/lbs of torque. So if it becomes an issue, I can always freshen up the 4.0L.

The only real difference is in the unsprung weight. With the weight difference between the F8.8 and the bigger tires, handling and ride quality will be sacrificed. But then again, that's expected. And I don't think you can overcome that when your goal is to go bigger.

Actually, I misspoke. It would be a 4lbft and 6hp loss going to 33's and a ratio of 3.66:1. Given I'm already driving it slightly undergeared (because it's on an inch taller tire already), the difference should be a wash for me.

ya what do i know. it's not like i've actually done it... 3... or 4 times... lol.

After 28 jeeps I've run quite a lot of gear/tire combos.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    ya what do i know. it's not like i've actually done it... 3... or 4 times... lol.

28 Jeeps? Damn I thought I was bad with the number of vehicles...

It's been a while since i've run 33's and 3.73's... but the biggest issue you'll have is the highway. around town it's fine. hell my current TJ is 3.07's and 33's (until i grab the 44 off robert that has 4.56's in it).

if you drafted trucks and stuff it would hold 70. otherwise every time you grabbed top gear it would slowly lose mph. until finally you'd have to drop and hammer on it to get it back up to speed. on and on and on it went...

i eventually ran that on aluminum wheels. that helped a little. if you're running AT's instead of MT's that'll help a little too... what's done is done at this point though ya know.

28 Jeeps? Damn I thought I was bad with the number of vehicles...
    ya i've had a couple of different setups lol

you should read the pure stupidity being posted on wicked jeeps. guys talking about 37's and 4.10's being ideal. it's absolutely moronic.

sorry man. didn't mean to crap all over your thread. post up some pics and the build plan!

PghOffRoad Regular

Sorry you took offense... not my intention. I'm an engineer by trade, so I trust calculations more than opinions. If I were to put up a poll on any number of websites, I'd get even more recommendations with each person insisting their choice was the best. I guess it all comes down to what's an acceptable level of performance for you.

PghOffRoad Regular
    It's been a while since i've run 33's and 3.73's... but the biggest issue you'll have is the highway. around town it's fine. hell my current TJ is 3.07's and 33's (until i grab the 44 off robert that has 4.56's in it).

if you drafted trucks and stuff it would hold 70. otherwise every time you grabbed top gear it would slowly lose mph. until finally you'd have to drop and hammer on it to get it back up to speed. on and on and on it went...

i eventually ran that on aluminum wheels. that helped a little. if you're running AT's instead of MT's that'll help a little too... what's done is done at this point though ya know.
    I agree, Aluminum Wheels definitely help. I'll probably be running MT's come spring time. My biggest problem now is that I'll be running around on 3.73's with these little tires and get used to it AND THEN I'll hate it on 33's.

PghOffRoad Regular
    sorry man. didn't mean to crap all over your thread. post up some pics and the build plan!
    It's all good. Contrary to Popular (liberal) belief, difference of opinions is a good thing!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    ya i've had a couple of different setups lol

you should read the pure stupidity being posted on wicked jeeps. guys talking about 37's and 4.10's being ideal. it's absolutely moronic.
    yea my WJ has I believe 3.73’s? Running 32’s and it’s not a fan of overdrive on any kind of a hill. I can’t imagine 37’s with only 4.10’s, you wouldn’t even be able to use 4th gear. Lol. Would be an easy swap if you had a TJ though, just swap axles from a 4cyl and go.

I was on wicked jeeps about 2.2 seconds got disgusted and left.

Back onto discussion, This new wave of offroad people are lacking any sense it seems. Listen to the old timers, and those that have lived it and done it, and throw the calculations out the window. Ask questions, do your own legwork of combos people have run that keep showing up in discussion. On paper 4.88s sound deep, they aren't at all with a taller tire. That's a prime example.

I've been officially here in cyber world of offroad for about 10yrs now give or take. I've been wrenching and wheeling since I was little. Don't trust the calculations in this sport, trust those that have done it already. When you go to regear again and run 35s, 4.56 if your aggressive and keep the Dana 30, 4.88 if you have a tender foot, 4.88 if you swap a Dana 44 in.

I'm sorry for the long winded post, it's refreshing there are new and old faces showing up on here again. Good luck with your build and ask questions!
    Last edited by ridgerunner97; 11-21-2017 at 07:34 PM.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner97 View Post
    I was on wicked jeeps about 2.2 seconds got disgusted and left.

Back onto discussion, This new wave of offroad people are lacking any sense it seems. Listen to the old timers, and those that have lived it and done it, and throw the calculations out the window. Ask questions, do your own legwork of combos people have run that keep showing up in discussion. On paper 4.88s sound deep, they aren't at all with a taller tire. That's a prime example.

I've been officially here in cyber world of offroad for about 10yrs now give or take. I've been wrenching and wheeling since I was little. Don't trust the calculations in this sport, trust those that have done it already. When you go to regear again and run 35s, 4.56 if your aggressive and keep the Dana 30, 4.88 if you have a tender foot, 4.88 if you swap a Dana 44 in.

I'm sorry for the long winded post, it's refreshing there are new and old faces showing up on here again. Good luck with your build and ask questions!
    pretty much. people have these fancy charts for ratio vs rpm and what not. But the real world has a funny way of making them irrelevant. i've run 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, 36, 37, 38.5, 39.5, and 42's on a TJ. i've run 3.07, 3.73, 4.10, 4.56, 4.88's (and on the jk 5.13 and 5.38 but that's a different animal).

it'll be what it'll be. i remember driving the TJ down to dayton from BGSU on 3.73's and 33's. and struggling to hold 70 and keep up with my girlfriend in her chevy cavalier. lol. It is what it is. not trying to crap on dude's thread. He already ordered the axles and they're in.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    pretty much. people have these fancy charts for ratio vs rpm and what not. But the real world has a funny way of making them irrelevant. i've run 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, 36, 37, 38.5, 39.5, and 42's on a TJ. i've run 3.07, 3.73, 4.10, 4.56, 4.88's (and on the jk 5.13 and 5.38 but that's a different animal).

it'll be what it'll be. i remember driving the TJ down to dayton from BGSU on 3.73's and 33's. and struggling to hold 70 and keep up with my girlfriend in her chevy cavalier. lol. It is what it is. not trying to crap on dude's thread. He already ordered the axles and they're in.
    The Jeep will run fine with 3.73’s and 33’s, he’s just not going to be winning any races. Like I said I ran 33’s with the stock 3.07’s without that much issue, I just didn’t use 5th gear. If you keep it off of the highway and use low range when you need it’s no big deal. That said I always believe in gearing for more than you need. It’s an expensive upgrade and a pain in the ass so I would only want to do it one time if it were me, but it’s your jeep and you should do what you want to do to it. I know that if I have the extra cash laying around for a D44 and gears, I would be putting 4.56’s in my WJ. Jeeps get terrible fuel mileage regardless so gear it up, it won’t hurt much and the 190hp 4.0 could use some help.

The Jeep will run fine with 3.73’s and 33’s, he’s just not going to be winning any races. Like I said I ran 33’s with the stock 3.07’s without that much issue, I just didn’t use 5th gear. If you keep it off of the highway and use low range when you need it’s no big deal. That said I always believe in gearing for more than you need. It’s an expensive upgrade and a pain in the ass so I would only want to do it one time if it were me, but it’s your jeep and you should do what you want to do to it. I know that if I have the extra cash laying around for a D44 and gears, I would be putting 4.56’s in my WJ. Jeeps get terrible fuel mileage regardless so gear it up, it won’t hurt much and the 190hp 4.0 could use some help.
    gears are one of those things that you think it drives fine until you drive one with better gearing lol

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    gears are one of those things that you think it drives fine until you drive one with better gearing lol
    Too true.

Thread Information