Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Engine Builders (AMC 258)

Thread: Engine Builders (AMC 258)

Engine Builders (AMC 258)

My son and I are starting a restoration project: 1976 AMC Pacer. Looking for an engine builder in the Pittsburgh area who has worked with the 258 engine. Recommendations? Many thanks! Paul

Less posting, more wheeling!

Cool

392 crate Hemi!

I'm old enough to remember when those duds were on showroom floors. That should be a fascinating project, though. Got any pictures to whet our appetites yet?

And ya' GOTTA check this guy out for parts - American Pickers even stopped in there once!

And here's a little something to make you SERIOUSLY consider the 392 crate Hemi.

Craigslist Excellence: This 500ci, Cadillac 500–powered Pacer Is Your Next Sleeper

AMC produced a V8-powered Pacers from 1978, but they were Malaise-era misery machines that did more to underwhelm a driver than anything else. For our Craigslist seller, Phil, a self-professed AMC addict, there was one solution to building something that would make everyone “WTF” out loud, especially as the Cad-powered Pacer outran them on the street.

“I been into American Motors since 1964, I’ve had over 200 AMCs,” Phil told us. “When I got older, I wanted the most hated car on the Internet—you know something from those ‘Ten Ugliest Cars’ lists—and I wanted the biggest factory-production, cubic-inch engine, and I wanted someone to say, ‘you did what!?’”

Dare to be different, indeed. The front cradle of the Pacer was pulled from the body, and a 500ci Cadillac V8 from a 1973 Eldorado was set down for mockup. Phil clearanced and re-boxed the front cradle for the big Cadillac, and moved the steering column about a quarter-inch to the left to clear the exhaust. A two-core radiator is cooled by four 10-inch electric fans, packaging as many cooling fans possible in the given surface area. A BOP TH400 was lightly rebuilt, and the Cadillac uses a retuned Q-Jet as well. The rear axle is out of an AMC V8 Pacer, stuffed with a spool differential, 2.87 gears, and kept under control with a set of J-bolt traction bars. The rest of suspension and brakes are stock, but for a “drag racing on the street” car, it works. The 2-inch box tubing ties the chassis together.

“It’s more of a shock-and-awe car. Now, there’s a lot of cars that can beat it, but they’ll have to come out of the hole with a 3,500–5,000 rpm, I’m gonna race you start—I can start off at idle in drive, and you’ll have to work your Mustang to death to try and keep up with me,” Phil laughs. “The torque stays constant from 0 to 120 mph, and I have had it at 120 before, pushing a Corvette—the new one.” The original 232ci straight-six would have never been so fun. Phil admits there’s cosmetic rust, but the look has kept this thing a dedicated sleeper: “I tease them, if it rust is weighs less!”

The interior is all-original, other than a light dose of accessory gauges to keep an eye on the big Cadillac engine, along with the B&M shifter.

This is a hilariously fun-sounding sleeper, built just for a few street brawls. Head on over to the Craigslist ad for more details and contact info.
    STILL for sale - the CL ad is still up!
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

I know how to rebuild those engines.
    Step 1: Remove engine
    Step 2: Throw engine right in the garbage
    Step 3: Get a Chevy LS engine
    Step 4: Put LS engine right in the pacer.

Done.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    **** those LS. Way to suck the life out of creativity and originality.

LAW Engines, KMP Performance, P &R performance in westmoreland county are all excellent engine builders
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

P&R is in greensburg can't remember if it's performance or machine...
    94 YJ MTO

DLK Performance in Russellton.

Not sure how familiar they are with the 258 out of your pacer, but even unfamiliar, I'd trust Jeff and his guys to build my motor. I'm sure they're not the cheapest, but their work is top notch, regardless of the project.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner97 View Post
    P&R is in greensburg can't remember if it's performance or machine...
    Many thanks for your recommendations. We'll check them out.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Get an engine stand, get some tools, buy some books, create some memories your son will have for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by XJchris98 View Post
    DLK Performance in Russellton.

Not sure how familiar they are with the 258 out of your pacer, but even unfamiliar, I'd trust Jeff and his guys to build my motor. I'm sure they're not the cheapest, but their work is top notch, regardless of the project.
    Also thanks. That's a strong recommendation. Much appreciated.

P&R has done piles of machine work and builds for my buddy's that tractor pull and they just did machine work etc on my youngest brothers 408 cube dodge small block build. Super easy yo deal with and knowledgeable
    94 YJ MTO

P&R has done piles of machine work and builds for my buddy's that tractor pull and they just did machine work etc on my youngest brothers 408 cube dodge small block build. Super easy yo deal with and knowledgeable
    Thanks much, ridgerunner97, for your suggestions. All helpful.

**** those ls. Way to suck the life out of creativity and originality.

Law engines, kmp performance, p &r performance in westmoreland county are all excellent engine builders
    Yes because putting a jeep engine in a jeep is just so creative.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

How many 258's are being refreshed and kept around? Not alot anymore, keeping it original is alot cooler than shoving a damn LS in anything that moves. They have there place just doesn't appeal to a whole lot of people. Have 10 times the money in a LS swap half the time than rebuilding and hot rodding what was there. And a 258 in a pacer with a little love will be alot of fun and original.
    94 YJ MTO

To the original poster, check out Clifford performance, Offenhauser, and many others for high performance 258 support.
    94 YJ MTO

Thread Information