Thread: school me on trail weight rating

PghOffRoad Regular

Question school me on trail weight rating

I have a 2 axle 7,000 pound flat deck trailer for toy hauling. the wife jeep has a big booty, an I knew it was heavyer then mine, I can feel it braking, on hills and every were else. I stopped at the cat scales on the way back from r/c and got a surprise. it's little aover weight on the trailer. i'm not over weight on the truck, just trailer.

front / rear truck axle 7420 pounds i'm allowed 8800 truck weights 6400 with fuel

trailer axles 7080

the wifes jeep had a 1/2 tank of fuel, full size spare, and some tools , I est the tounge weight at 600-700 pounds

question a ) how is a trailer rated for load, just the axles or is tounge weight included ? some one said just do more tounge weight? that didn't seem right.

question b) would a weight distribution hitch actual help me ?

I know i'm not over weight by much, but as the winch bumper goes on and other crap, the weight will go up. an as I add tube to mine the same will happen, I have yet to hit mine with a scale.

thanks brian

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Since your trailer is under 10,000lbs, it would be weighed independently of the truck. So at 7,080 lbs, you would be considered 80lbs overweight on the trailer (also depending on who you get asking the question, you would have to disconnect your trailer and scales would be placed under the trailer wheels and tongue and the total would be your trailer weight. Then weigh your truck,) Also each axle is weighed independently so you need to look at your door tag or trailer tag for individual weights for each axle.

A trailer registered over 10,000lbs is considered a combination and follows different rules, requires different truck registration, inspection, and a number of other things. As long as your under 26,000 combination weight, you don't need a CDL. You will be weighed connected, and judgment would be based on individual axle rating.

In this case, a weight distribution hitch would hurt you. It transfers weight from the truck to the trailer. They are a bandaid for when you don't have the weight distributed on your trailer properly, or you don't have enough truck for the trailer. They are ok to correct for small adjustments but not when your pushing overweight.

Trailers are generally rated by axle capacity. A dual axle 7,000lb trailer usually has 2 - 3,500lb axles. That's not always the complete story though, sometimes the axles don't match the weight rating due to other things like how the trailer is built. Or de-rating a trailer for registration purposes. (I have a trailer with dual 7,000lb axles that is titled at 10,000lbs to keep under the licensing issues. It's good for 14,000lbs but legally only 10K.)
    Last edited by oros35; 02-16-2016 at 04:11 PM.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Take 20# of air outta each of the Jeep tires!

Sorry... I had to say it
    ···╔════════╗
    ·█╢░░░░░░░░╟█
    ·._├────────┤_.
    ╘╕Θ║║║║║║║Θ╒╛
    ═══╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═══
    Hyper..... or, just call me Tim
    '13 Jeep JK Wrangler (his)
    '16 Jeep KL Cherokee Trailhawk (her's)

Jeep Ambassador to the FJORC

„ɹǝʇʇods ʎɯ ǝɯɐןq ˙˙˙˙sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı„

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Just slide her a little more forward Brian. Oros is correct. Youre technically overweight but if you bump tongue weight odds of tomfoolery are much better in your favor. Start looking for a 10k gvw trailer now while your ahead. Or an ultra light 7k gvw trailer like Superscout uses
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

PghOffRoad Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by oros35 View Post
    Since your trailer is under 10,000lbs, it would be weighed independently of the truck. So at 7,080 lbs, you would be considered 80lbs overweight on the trailer (also depending on who you get asking the question, you would have to disconnect your trailer and scales would be placed under the trailer wheels and tongue and the total would be your trailer weight. Then weigh your truck,) Also each axle is weighed independently so you need to look at your door tag or trailer tag for individual weights for each axle.

A trailer registered over 10,000lbs is considered a combination and follows different rules, requires different truck registration, inspection, and a number of other things. As long as your under 26,000 combination weight, you don't need a CDL. You will be weighed connected, and judgment would be based on individual axle rating.

In this case, a weight distribution hitch would hurt you. It transfers weight from the truck to the trailer. They are a bandaid for when you don't have the weight distributed on your trailer properly, or you don't have enough truck for the trailer. They are ok to correct for small adjustments but not when your pushing overweight.

Trailers are generally rated by axle capacity. A dual axle 7,000lb trailer usually has 2 - 3,500lb axles. That's not always the complete story though, sometimes the axles don't match the weight rating due to other things like how the trailer is built. Or de-rating a trailer for registration purposes. (I have a trailer with dual 7,000lb axles that is titled at 10,000lbs to keep under the licensing issues. It's good for 14,000lbs but legally only 10K.)
    each axle is 3500, I did check that when I started to use it. as the weight distribution hitch, the adds read that it puts the trailer weight on to the truck. and you can bump up your tounge weight. an seem to be common in over type scenarios. if I do bump up to a 9,900 trailer that keeps me out of all the things you stated above, and i'm guessing that's why they are 9,900 pound trailer.

thanks for the info

PghOffRoad Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin View Post
    Take 20# of air outta each of the Jeep tires!

Sorry... I had to say it

you a funny guy

PghOffRoad Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner97 View Post
    Just slide her a little more forward Brian. Oros is correct. Youre technically overweight but if you bump tongue weight odds of tomfoolery are much better in your favor. Start looking for a 10k gvw trailer now while your ahead. Or an ultra light 7k gvw trailer like Superscout uses
    thanks, i'll play with that next time it's on. if my toy is under weight, than i'll keep the trailer. that mainly what I haul on it.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by tow hook View Post
    as the weight distribution hitch, the adds read that it puts the trailer weight on to the truck. and you can bump up your tounge weight. an seem to be common in over type scenarios.
    You can bump up your tongue weight with a weight distribution hitch. The goal of a weight distribution hitch is to take tongue weight and transfer it to the front axle of the tow vehicle and trailer, thus "distribution". It uses 2 springs attached to the hitch to accomplish this. The amount of spring pre-load is set by the length of chain at the trailer attachment point. You use the bar to bend the springs in place and lock them in with a pin. Jacks up the rear axle of the truck forcing the front axle of the truck down and some on the trailer too. How much depends on the distance from the hitch.

So I guess it might be possible to move the jeep further toward the hitch, then use a distribution hitch if the truck springs can't handle the extra weight. Net result would be a load increase on the front axle of the truck. Assuming that you don't go over the gvw of the front axle this could be a solution.

The best solution though would be a heavier trailer. You are right at the rated limit no matter how you have it set up. Remember the limit is not only structural but the brakes too. Wouldn't hurt to have a bit of a buffer.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    And after reading over this again, I would just move it toward the tongue, I think your truck can handle it. It would probably tow nicer too. Nothing wrong with a 1000lb or more tongue weight. Just make sure your hitch is good for it.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    My dad runs a weight distribution hitch. The sweet spot is to adjust the chains so you're a 1/2" below the normal ride height. Any more and you're unloading the rear axle too much. It really makes a difference and feels good behind the truck.

PghOffRoad Regular
    thanks for info, the hitch is cheaper then a new trailer, and yes the buffer would be nice, as the bigger breaks etc.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Truck can handle the extra tongue weight for sure. Your still hauling with that 3/4 ton dodge right Brian?
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Brian, shoot me a PM. We have tons of WD hitches that I can get to you. How far are you from Latrobe or Carolltown? I can take care of you really well at either.
    Something catchy goes here.

PghOffRoad Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner97 View Post
    Truck can handle the extra tongue weight for sure. Your still hauling with that 3/4 ton dodge right Brian?
    yep, hope to go 4.10 gears ( by fall ) and get the weight rating up too

PghOffRoad Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dan58 View Post
    Brian, shoot me a PM. We have tons of WD hitches that I can get to you. How far are you from Latrobe or Carolltown? I can take care of you really well at either.
    i'm still up the street from your old place, or I can stop by ok 4wd, I see manger mike, every so often.

Thread Information