Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

long arms on a budget

Thread: long arms on a budget

PghOffRoad Regular

long arms on a budget

Looking to put some long arms on the front of my jeep,, just got the old axle out and I am mocking up the Dana 60,, looking for a decent set of long arms on a slim budget.
    I did consider just building it my self but the stuff adds up quick. Figured I'd see if anyone else has any input on long arms on a budget,,. I know I can get a set of long arms for jeep xj for around 700 and if build it my self I'm looking at 400 in just hiem joints .. Any info or experience would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    ~Aaron

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Calling Joe and Jeep. He's the XJ king.
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I built mine a lot cheaper, I used 1.25" Ruff Stuff heims on the frame side, 2" .250 square tube for link material and leaf spring bushing on the axle side on the lower. For the upper I used TJ upper poly bushings. 2x6 for the crossmember on my XJ. I did radius arms.

Last edited by joe_and_jeep; 02-23-2016 at 09:43 PM.
    [COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=7][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=7][SIZE=3]I'm not a "Jeeper" I have no clue what the Jeep thing is. [/SIZE][/SIZE]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

[COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=7][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=7][SIZE=3]I'm not a "Jeeper" I have no clue what the Jeep thing is. [/SIZE][/SIZE]

2x2 square tubing is probably the best cost to strength option you'll find.

And As I'm sure your aware, the money will be in tube inserts and flex joints. Ruffstuff & Balistic typically have sales every couple months that you can get good prices on all that stuff, if your not in a rush.

Does your rig see much road time? How are you planning on attaching the arms to the subframe? Some things to consider when deciding how and what type of long arm setup your going to build.

PghOffRoad Regular
    Thanks for all the info, it really does help. It is mainly for off road use but it will be road legal and it will see a fair share of street use. I figured I would brace the unibody with "c" channel and attach the arms to the c channel. I'm in no rush and looking for the bang for the buck.. For the 1.25 heim and inserts ect their about 50 each. Haven't got a price on tubing. But its seems I can build my own a lot stronger and for about the same price as a pre made kit. Awesome jeep joe,, that is exactly what I am going for. How's it held up to wheeling? And the leaf spring bushing seem good enough or would you recommend doing heim joints on both ends of the control arm?
    ~Aaron

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I used channel to brace my uni rails then used 2x6 box to build a bullet proof crossmember then attached the mounts to that. It's run some of the harder trails around, been quite abused lol. I like it enough I'm duplicating the same suspension on my Samurai. But this time I have a CNC plasma table to make all my brackets. It's going to be identical except I'm using 3/4 heims on my upper link. I got my tubing at a scrap yard. It was brand new cutoff. Ask steel yards for odd length cut offs. You get it cheaper.

PghOffRoad Regular
    Awesome, and great leads too about the Dom tubing. It looks I am going to build it ,, i am going to copy what u did since it's proven.,, I wish I had a CNC machine to play with,, but maybe for the next build.
    Thanks for the help ,, I have a much more clear vision for the build now
    ~Aaron

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Bring steel and I'll make you some brackets pretty cheap. My design is a copy of Clayton, Rubicon Express and a few others that have made long arm systems. So I know it works.

I bought RC's long arms and swapped in currie jj's. Six years going and no issues except for the brown color.

If I had to do it again I'd stick with the factory setup with a lower lift and beefier parts.
    "You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter"

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
    I bought RC's long arms and swapped in currie jj's. Six years going and no issues except for the brown color.

If I had to do it again I'd stick with the factory setup with a lower lift and beefier parts.
    I didn't like short arms on my Cherokee when I was on 40s and one tons. I was only 4" lift.

PghOffRoad Regular
    Yeah I have a short arm kit and it has served well to the Dana 30 ,, ended up selling them on cl for almost 500 so gives me a little budget,, rc has a warranty on their long arm upgrade kit so I think I will convert it to fit my d60 ,, for 700 bucks the warranty seems pretty sweet
    ~Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by astesprit View Post
    Yeah I have a short arm kit and it has served well to the Dana 30 ,, ended up selling them on cl for almost 500 so gives me a little budget,, rc has a warranty on their long arm upgrade kit so I think I will convert it to fit my d60 ,, for 700 bucks the warranty seems pretty sweet
    I'd swap out their joints for Currie JJ's and it'll last forever. You won't need the warranty and will save yourself time and aggravation of having to replace their Chinese junk joints again and again. The arms and crossmember are pretty decent but their joints are gay.

PghOffRoad Regular
    Yeah I kinda figured its a good start if something wares out or breaks I'll just fix it better,, just can't believe how expensive it gets,, adds up quick
    ~Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by astesprit View Post
    Yeah I kinda figured its a good start if something wares out or breaks I'll just fix it better,, just can't believe how expensive it gets,, adds up quick
    Jeeps......

Bill Molestered Jebus (again.) BAD_GNR's Avatar
    Man, I never realized how expensive these things got, no wonder you're asking how to do them on a budget:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/custom-Kenne...UAAOSwcdBWSTVr

It's about to get all kinds of stupid up in here!

PghOffRoad Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BAD_GNR View Post
    Man, I never realized how expensive these things got, no wonder you're asking how to do them on a budget:

Haha long arms are almost as expe dive as long arms,, yeah just got stupid in here lol
    ~Aaron

$300 for a long arm toy.......holy pancakes.

Noob!
    anyone have a set up like this for a zj

Trail Leader
    I have a set of rock krawler joints from my JK that I'd sell. They still seemed to be in good shape when I took them off and you can get rebuild kits from rock krawler if you want. Weld in some bungs, Cut a stock bushing end off something for the other end and boom.... Bob's your uncle. Text me for pictures. 724.991.5330, but give me a day or so to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by BAD_GNR View Post

Thread Information