Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Need gear setup help in the towpig

Thread: Need gear setup help in the towpig

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar

Need gear setup help in the towpig

Need some feedback on a gear pattern (I am horrible at reading these) in my 89' D70HD

Usually I don't stress too much because I've had good luck running used gears with what ever pattern is close enough as long as the backlash and pinion bearing preload was right, but these are new 3.54 gears that will be hauling anywhere from 7500lb up to 22,000lb in my compound turbo Cummins Chevy that generates over 700lbft of torque so I'm being a bit paranoid with this setup.

Pinion with previous shims set @ approx 25inlb rolling torque and carrier with no preload set @ .010" backlash;

Drive side

Coast side

Last edited by gonecheenin; 03-07-2016 at 12:48 AM.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Your pics are a tad blurry but it looks like you're fairly well centered in the tooth both in and out, toe and heel... I would maybe like to see it a little deeper towards the heel... IMHO, if it were mine, I would likely run it how she looks and check the tooth wear after a couple hundred miles because I'm paranoid lol!
    F T W

Hammered paint... The mullet of the jeep world

Quote Originally Posted by justin'sbig7 View Post
    IMHO, if it were mine, I would likely run it how she looks and check the tooth wear after a couple hundred miles because I'm paranoid lol!
    I was thinking about that but didn't know if once they started wearing it would be too late to change them. I think I'm going to tighten up the backlash a couple thousandths and check the pattern again for any changes.

It looks nice to me considering picture quality. The edges of pattern look soft/feathered and centered in the face/flank. You can always change depth one way or the other to see the difference.
    Saved by Grace

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation. – James Madison

PghOffRoad Regular
    I've always thought .010 was max backlash. I think tightening it up a couple would be a good thing, don't go below .007. Go by any instructions with the gear set you have, but I always thought the heavier axles have preload on the carrier. I'd add to that on the gear side to close the backlash. I too am suspicious and look after 500 miles. Especially new gears. Gary
    Jay, I just looked up Billavista, He says .015 more than space. I have gone .010. That alone will close backlash to much if you put it all on the gear side. I should have looked before typing
    Last edited by 5 SPD XJs; 03-10-2016 at 08:06 PM.
    Don't Believe Everything You See On The Internet.......Abraham Lincoln

Proud Heritage Region Jeep Alliance Member

95 XJ 5 spd, 3" coil 1 1/2 spacer- S 10 rear leafs,
    Warn front winch bumper,
    Magnum 9K winch,
    D 44 track lock, Rock sliders

80 CJ 7 (a lot)

81 CJ 7 resurected Twice

06 Rubicon unlimited
    3" lift & 33s
    8274 winch

yeah the required preload is .015" and I currently have .005" measurable back and forth so I think I will add .003" to the ring gear side tomorrow while I have the setup bearings in and see what my backlash & pattern is before I install the pressed KOYO carrier bearings.
    Don't know if I can shrink the assembly enough in the freezer to get it into the housing without a housing spreader to do the full carrier bearing preload but if I can get over .010" preload I'm hoping that will be close enough.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Run it
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Thread Information