Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Zombie Hunter Baja Bug!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zombie Hunter Baja Bug!

Less posting, more wheeling!

Zombie Hunter Baja Bug!

I am now the proud owner of a 1966 VW baja bug,

It needs some rust work on the driver side floor pan, door and hinge, and the hinge on the passenger but it OK for the most part.
    I found a the repair sections total will only cost about $150. It going to cost more in paint stripper and then a few gallons of chassis saver and OD green monstaliner.

If anybody has some stock bug 15" rims getting rid of please tell me I can afford exactly $0 right now.
    I have a set of semi worn 235-70r15s that I want to get on there to replace the dryrotted mismatched pretty much round formerly rubber things on the there I'm calling tires.

What I want the final product to be. With or without the Fifty (I do have a harpoon gun prop I was making for a low budget.....)
    Last edited by DeathBlade556; 06-26-2016 at 11:08 PM.
    [I]"Its not a bondfire unless you can see if from space"[/I]\
    TJ now with the power of a 5.2L vs 2.5L get same gas mileage....crap.

What's the bolt pattern on that thing?
    "You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter"

Quote Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
    What's the bolt pattern on that thing?
    It should be a 5x205mm with a 15" rim 4.5 or 5.5" wide

as for tires I'm actually thinking of these yokohama Y720's or Y742S's

The look old timey traction/AT and are a tall narrow radial

Well once my set meh cooper 235/70'r15's get worn out.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    If you don't mind me asking, what range did you pay? I'm casually in the market for a ratty ragtop bug project (not that I need more crap laying around my yard).

Quote Originally Posted by 88wd21 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what range did you pay? I'm casually in the market for a ratty ragtop bug project (not that I need more crap laying around my yard).
    I payed $2k for it with an extra 1.5 engines with a new seal and bearing set for front/rear.
    Most of the bug I've seen around here are restored and at premium or half taken apart rust buckets at $1-2K

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Thank you, it gives me a range (I'm sure ragtop add to the cost though). Sorry to derail a little, just a topic that will always hold my interest

Started doing some work on it today, got the carpets out, a bit more rust than I was seeing.

Started looking for wheels a little harder, still cant find a set local.

Some actual pics

Just got a little work done, cut out the rusty sections on the door, and then found the entire heater channel had rusted out previously and was bondo'ed before the interior was bedlined a while back, and the rear heater channel port on both side of the rear seat, alot more rust than I was hoping, not much work to fix since I'll have it apart, but a bunch more repair sections to buy

I did find one good thing I already have 5 on 4.5 wheel adapters! **** Ya!
    So I dug out one of my backup 31" for the TJ

Fits like a glove,
    On a side note if anybody has a set of stock steel 15" rims and tires from a TJ they want to get rid of for free please let me know!

I have these that I been trying to sell for $50 (stock TJ wheel/tire not included). Probably not what you need but....

TJ bolt pattern and I think 15x7. Tires are recap 235's with some tread left. They shook around too much for my daily driver so I took em off for off road only. They are now dust collectors.

Actually those would be great! 235 was what I was planning on running.
    Are you doing anything tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
    I have these that I been trying to sell for $50 (stock TJ wheel/tire not included). Probably not what you need but....

TJ bolt pattern and I think 15x7. Tires are recap 235's with some tread left. They shook around too much for my daily driver so I took em off for off road only. They are now dust collectors.

Yo Gabe, Pm'd ya about the tires. My phone sucks!

I finally got the tires I got from Chris mounted, they fit like a glove!

I've got a few of the repair sections in but I have to finish the rewiring on my TJ first, I need to get it out of the car port, the cord for my welder isn't long enough.
    Going to pick up a set of seats from wagners on monday from a GTI, so it doesn't have a milk crate for a seat.
    I have a EMPI stinger exhaust sitting in my ebay cart till next payday, then I can start it without major hearing damage! (only minor)

Now that looks badass. I like the black on white.

I finally got an exhaust on it the other day, a EMPI stinger exhaust with a tractor supply rain cap.
    Now to find some seats. Any suggestions to what 2 door car to rip them out of?
    I was thinking a 2000's GTI (maybe find some leather ones vs cloth )

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Nice! I'll be watching this. Always liked the old bugs
    Remo
    08 Rubicon

Very cool. I have been looking for a Manx type buggy off and on for a while.

Went out to Wagners today and was going to grab the seats out of a GTI or a new beetle but they were all toast I love it when people leave the doors open and windows down...
    But I did score the seats from a Tiburon that were in good condition and $40 so I was happy. And now pictures.

The new seats do need some mounts made and need to be about 1 1/2 or 3" up so I'll use some sections of tube and go from there.
    But they look over 9000% better than the stock 1966 ones, Though there deep enough than I cant get the rear seat in
    So I'll just make a tool shelf/box that I can through a land rover jump seat on.

Built a Baja Bug years ago in the early 90's. Bugstuff in West Brownsville was a good source for the parts, not sure if they are still open or not. Like the progress so far!
    72 Jeep Commando, 401, Auto, Swampers, Locked...

Looks like they have a website now, I might just head down and get some sheet metal parts!

I see you found my Post Apocalyptic bug, Roxanne. How far along are you in recreating her?

Quote Originally Posted by The Zombie Patrol View Post
    I see you found my Post Apocalyptic bug, Roxanne. How far along are you in recreating her?
    Well, Right now I'm patching/rebuilding the rear cargo area I'm going to put in a toolbox area vs a rear seat, Just finished the heater channels a few days ago.
    I've been trying to thing of how you did the flip up gunner lid on the rear. How did you support the sheet metal? And how did you seal it/lock it down to keep rain out?

On the engine side right out it has a 1300cc in it right now and I got a 1600 in parts that came with it and instead of rebuilding them and building all the brackets for a second alternator(welder) and the onboard air compressor(to power the cannons), I'm debating since I'm rebuilding the cargo area sheet metal it I want to do a diesel swap I have right now a 1.6NA diesel sitting around and 1.6DT diesel in my rabbit pickup that I'm pulling for a 1.9TD I already have the brackets for the OBW and OBA for the diesel. But I would have to run lines upfront for a radiator, not hard but irritating.

Decisions decisions......

Now even more bug! I've been driving around the baja just around the block and having swing axles is a pain! so I dug up a rather rusty but IRS 1969 to steel some parts body parts from and the IRS suspension/trany. $250 and a box truck later with the liberal application of crowbar and some cut off wheels....

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Gabe make a lost of the stuff you have left over my buddy and all his friends are still running vw rail buggys in the woods! Bugstuff in Brownsville is still in business last motor kit my buddy bought came from there
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

PghOffRoad Regular
    very cool, me likey
    57 3b, 98 xj, 02 wj, an a go kart with boost

Well, got some brake parts in the other day, disc conversion kit for the the front beam, and a 5x4.5 drum for the rear. With the IRS rear end I'll have to get new bolt pattern adapters so it was easier to get hub that fit the wheels by default.
    I tore down the beam from the IRS bug and was cleaning it up this morning and I'm debating what shocks to run since the old ones were rusted out. To make the mount a old link pin VW shock style or remake a copy of the ball joint shock tower, decisions, decisions....

Thread Information