Thread: TJ starting problem (won't start on first try)

Exclamation TJ starting problem (won't start on first try)

99 TJ, 4.0, 65K miles.

Ok, so first start for the day, turn the key, hit the starter, Jeep turns over, doesn't seem like it want to start. Key off, immediately back on,hit started, fires right up. Any ideas? I tried holding the key in the ON position for 5-10 seconds before hitting the starter, same thing. I though maybe the fuel pump wasn't getting enough pressure.

I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, wires a month ago. I don't recall it happening before this but any ideas why these changes would cause this problem?
    Jon

2013 JKU White 4" Zone Offroad Lift 315/75R16 Fierce Attitude MT on 16x8 Raceline Raptors, many other doo-dads.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Instead of just holding the key in on, maby try kicking it back to off and back on again before starting to see if it needs a little extra prime like a weak fuel pressure regulator/fuel pump not priming enough at initial startup?

I tried that, on/off/on method, same thing. Did some googling, everything pointed to fuel pump or fuel regulator. I'll just replace it an hope for the best.
    Jon

2013 JKU White 4" Zone Offroad Lift 315/75R16 Fierce Attitude MT on 16x8 Raceline Raptors, many other doo-dads.

Noob!
    I had this in my 2003 Rubicon. It was the fuel pump.
    03 Black Rubicon

Thx for the help. Fuel pump going in tonight or tomorrow! I'll keep you posted.
    Jon

Less posting, more wheeling!
    I sorta have the opposite issue. I can start my 99 SE on the first try no problem but the 2nd or 3rd try is always like a struggle. The first start is like "chug chug start" but any starts after that 1st are kinda "lazy". It's as if it doesn't want to start but still does.

It never failed though. My tank skid is rusted 75% of the way across so that's coming out and I'm going to do the pump while I'm at it. It has 105k on it so it's due.
    Last edited by muddeprived; 07-23-2016 at 11:05 AM.
    "You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter"

Thread Information