Thread: Need new radiators!!!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

Need new radiators!!!

OK, so mine and my wife's Jeeps both need new rads. Mine is an '04 TJ Unlimited and hers is an '06 Liberty.
    I hit a deer a few years back and ended up having the shop replace the OEM rad 3 times due to the damn things leaking less the 3 months after each install. The last one lasted about a year before it too started leaking. The wifes just started leaking less than a month ago.
    What this boils down to is, I'm sick of the OEM style plastic tank crap!
    Anyone know where I can get all aluminum (or all metal of some type) rads for both of these?
    ···╔════════╗
    ·█╢░░░░░░░░╟█
    ·._├────────┤_.
    ╘╕Θ║║║║║║║Θ╒╛
    ═══╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═══
    Hyper..... or, just call me Tim
    '13 Jeep JK Wrangler (his)
    '16 Jeep KL Cherokee Trailhawk (her's)

Jeep Ambassador to the FJORC

„ɹǝʇʇods ʎɯ ǝɯɐןq ˙˙˙˙sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı„

Less posting, more wheeling!
    The best rad guy I know is Russell's Radiator Service in Uniontown PA. Repairs to full custom jobs he's awesome. He can even handle your Deuce like a walk in the park. If you want to buy a good one, stick to the metal tanks, Modine and a couple others, usually made in Canada, are the better.

Russell's Radiator Service

[COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Where you sourcing your OE rads? Are they actually leaking and dripping on the ground or just seeping out of the top?

If I'm not mistaken you need to run a special coolant in all-metal radiators. HOAT or something like that. I can't remember. I've read about lots of jeepers swapping in metal rads and having to warranty them over and over.

The OEM rads from Mopar are actually pretty decent. They go for 100k+ miles. Mine has 107k and is doing just fine. It does seep a little at the top but never enough to actually drip down to the ground and the fluid level never drops. It's just a self-lubricating exterior lol. It stops seeping when up to operating temps.
    "You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter"

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by highlandercj-7 View Post
    The best rad guy I know is Russell's Radiator Service in Uniontown PA. Repairs to full custom jobs he's awesome. He can even handle your Deuce like a walk in the park. If you want to buy a good one, stick to the metal tanks, Modine and a couple others, usually made in Canada, are the better.

Russell's Radiator Service

That might be worth the 1½hr drive if the prices are decent. Few places I found that can get an all metal rad are $300-$400!!
    Quote Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
    Where you sourcing your OE rads? Are they actually leaking and dripping on the ground or just seeping out of the top?

If I'm not mistaken you need to run a special coolant in all-metal radiators. HOAT or something like that. I can't remember. I've read about lots of jeepers swapping in metal rads and having to warranty them over and over.

The OEM rads from Mopar are actually pretty decent. They go for 100k+ miles. Mine has 107k and is doing just fine. It does seep a little at the top but never enough to actually drip down to the ground and the fluid level never drops. It's just a self-lubricating exterior lol. It stops seeping when up to operating temps.
    My original rad went over 100k miles. The replacements should have been OEM (insurance paid for OEM parts from the deer damage) My wifes is still factory original at about 90k miles and is leaking pretty bad.
    And they are not just seeping a little. There are puddles on the ground.

I haven't really looked for where they are leaking from, but guessing the crimp for the plastic tank is the culprit.
    ···╔════════╗
    ·█╢░░░░░░░░╟█
    ·._├────────┤_.
    ╘╕Θ║║║║║║║Θ╒╛
    ═══╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═══
    Hyper..... or, just call me Tim
    '13 Jeep JK Wrangler (his)
    '16 Jeep KL Cherokee Trailhawk (her's)

Jeep Ambassador to the FJORC

„ɹǝʇʇods ʎɯ ǝɯɐןq ˙˙˙˙sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı„

Thread Information