Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

First timer build; Project XJ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First timer build; Project XJ

Noob!

First timer build; Project XJ

Never owned a 4x before or done much vehicle wrenching but a couple of years ago, to help a friend, removed this non running 96 Cherokee Sport from her yard and since I had a buddy with a garage and tools thought I'd play around with for giggles rather than just having it scrapped. Until this point I'd never done much other than change oil in a car, and then not since I was a kid. What I knew about this XJ was a) it didn't start and had been sitting for a couple of years and b) what I now know is the 'floorboard issue'. Buddy said he could teach me sheet metal working and welding and such so brought it home as a project. Got it transferred to me for free and got lucky and a new battery was enough to get it started to get it home.

Noob!
    So as a noob first inspection dictated these parts as the first shopping list. Leafs were flat and got HD replacements so coils to match. Effectively a 1" lift but at this point green enough to not be aware of 'building a rig' or that I'd want more lift. I think the shocks and steering stabilizer might have bee original, absolutely no resistance left in them at all. Water pump was rattling and visibly leaking, stock trailer hitch was rusted through, and of course, i did not know rusted out XJ floor pans was a 'thing', I could see it was a thing on this one, previous owner had put a cookie sheet under the carpet on the drivers side to cover up the hole so they could drive

Noob!
    Passenger side wasn't as bad as the drivers but neither was pretty. Found out wasn't the best project for learning to weld so buddy did that part to get it done. Also put in mid section frame stiffeners and Novak transfer case linkage while we were at it. Have never been able to get the get the Novak cable set just right and will probably be swapping out for a more direct Boostwerks soon to see if that resolves it popping out of 4Lo. I'm sure a lot of you know this but man, cutting out the bad pans and cleaning it all up for new ones is a bear. Not technically challenging but a lot of work, drilling out all the spot welds and grinding everything clean. Covered every inch if the inside of the frame rail with por15 while it was exposed and sealed all the new seams and undercoated everything

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Looking good! Your heading in the right direction for sure with what your doing and the XJ "order of operations" LOL
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Noob!
    As long as the floor was being completely redone took the opportunity to move the seat mounts back 6 inches and put in some leather WJ seats found at the pick a part. When no one is in the back seat can put it waaay back for plenty of legroom. Got a kit to install heaters in the seats as well, the wifes favorite mod so far.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    I love builds like this.

Subscribed.....
    "You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter"

Noob!
    Of course replacing the bad water pump meant that actual water pressure made the radiator blow up so another bit of the mechanics gets replaced

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Typical jeep. Solve one problem = find/create two more. I almost miss it. Almost.

Noob!
    yeah well, my first one but of course on a '96 vehicle with 150k miles where most everything was still original it isnt too surprising. At this point researching Jeeps was just starting to get an idea of what 'building' a rig meant and was starting to think now that I've got it running what can I do to upgrade?

Noob!
    So after getting the new radiator in was thinking 'there, that's pretty much everything, now i can enjoy driving it for a while' I started noticing a gas smell when you filled the tank. Take a look. Hmm, seems to be leaking around this gizmo where the lines go in the tank. Research. Ah, new O ring, I can do that. Hey these support straps are shot, I'll do those while Im at it. Oh, OK, seems the straps holding the plastic cover against the tank were the only things stopping the pinholes from leaking. Sigh. New tank.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Some good upgrades are front tow points and skid plates. I would make those priority.

Definately agree. I have a TomKen brand skid for my fuel tank in mine and it's been great. I need to build a homemade job for a belly pan just haven't done it yet.
    94 YJ MTO

Noob!
    yes, belly pan and sliders are on the 'learn to weld/build things' spring project. gas tank skid might be see if can get a show deal at bantam item

Noob!
    Saw some rusted up things on the front end that were broke off, had no idea what they were so off to research. Sway bar? What the heck is that? Ok, well I'll replace with these disconnect thingamabobbers like the internet says.

I ran the JKS ones for years. Now I'm not running a front sway bar, was interfering with the way my steering is setup we made.
    94 YJ MTO

Quote Originally Posted by mdvana View Post
    Saw some rusted up things on the front end that were broke off, had no idea what they were so off to research. Sway bar? What the heck is that? Ok, well I'll replace with these disconnect thingamabobbers like the internet says.
    I would've run the one on the right for ease of disconnecting.

Noob!
    this summer took the front sway bar off to see how it feels. Cant say can tell the difference, but then im currently only at 3" of lift and 31s

Noob!
    My very first Cragslist jeep parts were these 16" rims with tires that I put new 30.6 x 10.4 General Grabber AT 2s on. Ive never had an AT tire before so nothing to compare to but i would say when I need new tires I will get Generals again.

Noob!
    Putting larger tires on taught me about tire rub so these were my next purchase/install. If i want to go wider/bigger next set of tires i will probably need different wheels with better backspacing. I understand tires for 15" wheels are easier to find and cheaper so would be a good opportunity to get new rims that fit the bill

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Lookin' good!

Quote Originally Posted by mdvana View Post
    this summer took the front sway bar off to see how it feels. Cant say can tell the difference, but then im currently only at 3" of lift and 31s
    Wait till you swerve to dodge a protesting liberal and roll n crash into starbucks....

I respectfully disagree. With a quality coil spring and good leaves the sway bars are good for the junk pile
    94 YJ MTO

Noob!
    didn't scrap my sway bar in case i feel it needs to go back on but so far it has felt ok without in in all kinds of conditions. The rear one however did come out and get scrapped when I did the leaves

Quote Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
    Wait till you swerve to dodge a protesting liberal and roll n crash into starbucks....
    We are supposed to swerve around them? They didn't mention that in drivers ed.

I don't brake for protesters, liberals, or animals, they get run down in the road, no discrimination here.
    94 YJ MTO

Thread Information