Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
1990 Suburban Build - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 1990 Suburban Build

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Yup, craigslist isn't worth a damn any more. Facebook marketplace is where the deals on dump trucks and rollbacks are!

Anyone else get tired of seeing their offroad toy sit for extended periods of time, think about selling it, possibly to buy something else you realistically also won't use very much, also consider the likelihood you won't get what you value your offroad toy to be worth if you sell it, reluctantly decide to keep it, then take it for a short drive and fall back in love with it?

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar
    I told you street Jeeps are a thing now. You should get one. I drive mine a few times a week.

It has more to do with not having the desire to take time to go offroading, rather than anything related to it being a suburban or a mild jeep build. I just would rather be shooting or working on my farm than wheeling right now.

The Gambler events are all the wheeling I have interest in at this point. I just signed up for the WV Gambler in October.

If I sold the suburban and my CJ5/M38A1 I would buy a GPW or MB WWII jeep.

If I sold just the suburban I would put the money towards a skid loader with tracks or a larger tractor to reduce the time it currently takes to brush hog 8 acres of fields.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    Anyone else get tired of seeing their offroad toy sit for extended periods of time, think about selling it, possibly to buy something else you realistically also won't use very much, also consider the likelihood you won't get what you value your offroad toy to be worth if you sell it, reluctantly decide to keep it, then take it for a short drive and fall back in love with it?
    I went through this exact process. I sold my Jeep, bought a project car, never finished that either, now it’s DMG’s project car lol. I still (for now) have my bike for offroad, next toy won’t be a project I have zero time to finish... I do miss my Jeep...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    I went through this exact process. I sold my Jeep, bought a project car, never finished that either, now it’s DMG’s project car lol. I still (for now) have my bike for offroad, next toy won’t be a project I have zero time to finish... I do miss my Jeep...
    I see a cheap XJ or sidekick in your future.

Drove the burb to work today and it's lagging on shifts. Slow to shift, engine bogging. I'll have to adjust the 700R4 cable from the TBI again. I think it needs to be shortened up to shift quicker.

Update: That fixed it I think. Moving the throttle arm on the TBI unit to wide open seems to pull the adjustment for the 700R4 cable out too far. Pushing the actual gas pedal to adjust the cable barely pulls it out. I started at the gas pedal adjusted position and then moved it out a little farther to get the smoothest shifting.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 08-17-2020 at 08:41 AM.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    Not going to lie I may have been shopping lol

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    I just quit selling my wheeler so I don't have to build it again once I remembered how much fun it was.
    Course here lately I've been doing more wheeling than forgetting, so I've bought yet another project instead of selling any of them.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Drove the burb to work today and it's lagging on shifts. Slow to shift, engine bogging. I'll have to adjust the 700R4 cable from the TBI again. I think it needs to be shortened up to shift quicker.

Update: That fixed it I think. Moving the throttle arm on the TBI unit to wide open seems to pull the adjustment for the 700R4 cable out too far. Pushing the actual gas pedal to adjust the cable barely pulls it out. I started at the gas pedal adjusted position and then moved it out a little farther to get the smoothest shifting.
    so by pushing the gas pedal to the floor you don’t hit wot on the throttle body? If so I would address that issue first! You can shift manually but not having wot is just unacceptable!

so by pushing the gas pedal to the floor you don’t hit wot on the throttle body? If so I would address that issue first! You can shift manually but not having wot is just unacceptable!
    I need to get a second person to work the pedal while I watch the TBI, but I can confirm the burb revs and performs like it can go to 100% throttle. I just achieved a difference in cable adjuster movement between the two methods. Not sure why yet.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 08-24-2020 at 08:15 AM.

Well after a weekend of driving the burb around I guess I'm back in love with it.

The burb and I earned the prestigious Gambler trophy lamp due to my offroad recovery endeavors (sirch & rascue as they say).

This fella took a wrong turn and ended up being a pretty easy pull with the assistance of a Ram 2500 Cummins as an anchor and DMG helping to direct the scene. We also pulled a JK off the edge of rolling back a hill but no pictures to show from that.

Had to take a strap myself when I got a little too tilty in this uphill rut.

The real challenge was going solo to locate and extract this F250 superdooty from the depths of hell out near Casparis. Got to the area around 8pm, spent 2 hours looking for the truck, winched it about 250 feet up a steep rutty hill, and finally made it home at 4am. I carry a lot of recovery gear to cover distance and accommodate a lot of variables. I ended up putting my receiver basket mounted winch in the Ford's rear hitch, connecting an RV battery to it that I carry, and then using some long jumper cables to connect that to the truck's battery so the truck could pull itself up the hill basically.

Who knew an air filter would make an awesome lamp shade?! The USB charging port is also a nice touch.

So now the preparations begin for the October WV Gambler 500. This will be the first WV event, and it should be a good one with all the primitive roads they have down there in the public forests.

To do:
    - I already fixed the CB cable which got caught on something and pulled out of the connector at the base of the antenna.
    - Ordering some adhesive aluminum heat shield material for under the floors. They floor got hot enough to melt plastic bags pulling hills with no carpet in the burb and the dual exhaust tucked up nicely out of harm's way.
    - I picked up some LED lights to mount for reverse lights. I did a lot of backing up in the woods while recovering that Ford, and the factory reverse lights need to be supplemented.
    - The rear driveshaft u-joint at the back axle is sloppy already, despite everything being new and having low miles on it. I think it was a Moog. I'm replacing it with a quality Spicer u-joint and if that fails I will investigate the cause. The driveshaft angles are good, springs are newish, and I'm not using lift blocks, so maybe I will need a traction bar.
    - The front driveshaft u-joint at the axle has side to side movement between the caps, so the caps are too far apart in the yoke. Looks like the tabs on the axle yoke are worn. I will TIG weld them up and grind them back to be a tight fit on the u-joint caps.
    - Mount a cargo area battery box to better secure the RV battery I carry to supplement the winch when needed.
    - Given the wild and wonderful nature of WV, I'll be packing a second mounted spare tire, additional recovery items, tools, food, water, medical, and communication equipment.

Where the hell did that guy get stuck at Casparis?
    Never blame the beer. It's only there to lend a hand.

To the best of my ability to guess on google maps, here: 39.987776, -79.521577

Want a passenger for WV, josh?

Only if you bring home made bread to share. We can probably fit Eric in as well.

I can do that. Not sure if Eric can make it.

I’ll have to find it but somewhere I have a winch extension cord with Anderson connectors on each end from when I ran a receiver winch.

I’ll have to find it but somewhere I have a winch extension cord with Anderson connectors on each end from when I ran a receiver winch.

I drove the burb out to Ligonier and I started having an issue where when I hit a bump or under hard acceleration the electronic speedometer goes crazy and the engine misfires. I'm going to start with cap and rotor, then plugs and wires, then coil and ignition module in that order. At first I thought it was an issue with the electronic speedometer wiring or the speed sensor but that will cause transmission torque converter issues, not engine ignition issues.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    My Ramcharger.

It spends more time on Dave's lift, than it does ON-road, much less, off-road.
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

I drove the burb out to Ligonier and I started having an issue where when I hit a bump or under hard acceleration the electronic speedometer goes crazy and the engine misfires. I'm going to start with cap and rotor, then plugs and wires, then coil and ignition module in that order. At first I thought it was an issue with the electronic speedometer wiring or the speed sensor but that will cause transmission torque converter issues, not engine ignition issues.
    I would look for a wire grounding and shorting or a loose ground.

I would look for a wire grounding and shorting or a loose ground.

Yup I'm checking all of those as well.

Thread Information