Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
1990 Suburban Build - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 1990 Suburban Build

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Changed distributor cap and rotor. Wiggled a bunch of wires but didn't remove or clean anything. A short test drive was successful. More driving needed for confirmation.

Reverse lights are done and they are blinding.

Rear U joint done.

Confirmed front axle u-joint is good and the yoke has worn out locating tabs so I will build those up with some TIG welds and hand dress them back to size to save the yoke, which otherwise looks to be in great shape. Must of had loose u-joint straps at some point.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 09-29-2020 at 08:46 AM.

Took the burb for a longer drive and the issue still existed, but way less severe and it only happened when I down shifted hard to accelerate. Got a code 42 which is spark timing fault. I ordered a new ignition module and I'm going to replace the ignition wires, possibly re-route them away from the ignition module wires if they're too close.

Replaced the ignition module and it ran a little worse.

Replaced the plugs and ignition wires and it ran a lot worse. I thought the wires would do it because 7 out of 8 had cracked boots at the plugs from heat.

Almost replaced the distributor pick up coil and the ignition coil, but instead I started inspecting the wire harness behind the motor and I heard arcing. Ah ha! Then more arcing. Uh oh! Quickly removed a battery terminal. Found that the power wire from the starter to the power distribution was rubbed through and arcing on a heat shield, which I hope is the final fix for the burb's issues.

Should of spent more time checking the stupid stuff before replacing parts, although the ignition wires really needed to be replaced.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 10-12-2020 at 08:52 AM.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    Replaced the ignition module and it ran a little worse.

Replaced the plugs and ignition wires and it ran a lot worse.
    I think we can all learn a valuable lesson about preventative maintenance from this... don’t do it! Lol.
    Hopefully she’s all fixed and running good now.

Well sign me up for every WV Gambler 500. Amazing scenery, trails, and fellow Gamblers.

I hit the road Friday afternoon and almost immediately code a code for O2 sensor reading lean. I stopped near Uniontown and picked up a fuel filter, and as soon as I hit the road with the intentions of changing it later that night in camp the light went away, so whatever. The burb ran great all weekend, except steep grades. I could barely hold 40 mph up a steep hill on the highway, and I was slow climbing those steep WV back road mountains. No overheating, but I will be changing the fuel filter and checking compression.

I also lost 2 quarts of oil. I just can't win with rear main seals.

I cracked the back left window on a tree near Flagpole Knob on a rocky drop off. Those always get me. The tint is holding the window together just fine so no action needed there.

Time for new front tires and one of the exhaust manifold to down pipe gaskets blew out, so not much carnage to repair.

After driving the burb a lot of miles this weekend I think I want to run smaller tires and drop the lift as much as possible. The burb rides pretty rough, it's built way over kill for the wheeling I like, and I think I would be better off with skinny 33"/34" tires and a 2" or 3" lift. I have a few more 37" tires to wear out, but I think that is in the future plans for the burb.

I didn't even know there was a WV Gambler. If I can ever get the Xterra fixed up enough I want to go next time.
    Never blame the beer. It's only there to lend a hand.

This was the first one. The organizer capped the event so it wasn't widely advertised, as it filled up very quickly.

I downsized from the 37s and steel wheels to these old school aluminum 15x8 slot wheels and 35x12.50x15 Milestar tires. The back wheels were a major pain in the ass. I have a 95 K2500 14SF rear axle which uses M14x1.5 lug nuts. This stud is too large in diameter to work with shouldered mag wheel lug nuts. I had to swap the studs for 1/2-20 studs (Dorman 610-379). Then I found the rear disk brake conversion calipers interfered with the wheels. A bunch of grinding and the back wheels finally went on.

My current struggle is finding a matching spare wheel or two. I think I'm going to have to cave and just buy some aluminum wheels that don't match but don't look stupid.

I got rear springs to lower it down but I won't have time for awhile to tackle that project. I don't think it looks bad as it sits now.

Also changed the fuel filter and fixed the exhaust that was messed up from WV. I noticed the O2 sensor had fused the wires together where they enter the sensor body so I have a new one to put it. Hopefully that fixes the "loss of power" I felt while trying to climb hills on the road in WV.

I'm considering selling the Suburban since I'm lusting for a Dodge M37 or something similar, and I have a Subaru Legacy for the Gambler events.

I'm thinking about listing it for $6k, and I'm always open to negotiations in person.

May have a single width Dana 60 and 14FF with mismatched gears to include in the right deal.

Contact me if interested.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Lotta bobbed deuce & a halves running around these parts. That might be a KILLER offroad setup.
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

I used to own a bobbed deuce and a half. Built it myself from a fullsize M35A2. Didn’t really like it so I sold it. Lost bed capacity and didn’t get any drive-abiity. I’m going to be looking for something that is original and parade worthy.

Had one guy come and look at the burb but his wife didn't approve. One guy messaged me with an offer of a Dodge M37 in trade but after thinking about it more I don't think the M37 will work for my needs. I need something that will tow more, like a G506 or a CCKW.

Had a really nice cruise in the burb the other day, despite it now throwing a code for the knock sensor. I checked for the 5V signal at the knock sensor with the key on and got nothing so I might need to run another wire for the knock sensor. It's not impacting performance though. Also going to try running higher octane fuel the next time I gas up before I do anything.

I also checked the timing again and it was WAY off. Not sure how that happened. Distributor was tight, and after setting it to 0 degrees it's running better than ever. And with the lighter tires and wheels I have on it now, it almost feels like a normal vehicle.

Might keep the burb and go back to the plan of lowering it to be lifted about 4".

I picked up a rear side window to replace the one I cracked in WV and changed it last night. I will miss my "Kid Rock for Senate" sticker I had on that window but I'm all about abandoning any stickers that are even comically political in these weird times.

Tonight I'm going to tackle replacement of the cracked windshield. I've had a replacement windshield and a new gasket for about a year or so. I changed the cracked windshield in my 83 K30 dump truck last night for practice. My fingers are raw from working the weatherstripping into place but it isn't as bad as I expected. Just had to find the right technique for rolling the gasket over the top of the windshield and then rolling the locking piece into place.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 05-27-2021 at 12:08 PM.

Just sold the burb for asking price to a woman from WV who plans to daily it. I told her everything that has gone wrong, is wrong, and could go wrong. She wasn’t bothered by any of that. I hope it treats her well.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    Just sold the burb for asking price to a woman from WV who plans to daily it. I told her everything that has gone wrong, is wrong, and could go wrong. She wasn’t bothered by any of that. I hope it treats her well.

Used cars are outta SIGHT these days, because of the chip shortage. It might STILL work out cheaper as a DD, than something late model will!
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI

Eastern, PA is hosting the PA Gambler this year. August 20th weekend at Free Spirit Campground Landisburg, PA.

Detroit Gambler has already happened this year.

No word on the next WV Gambler.

There's a shitbox VW, with A/T's all around, and a ghastly rattle-canned paint job at the Monro Muffler on 88, near 51 in the South Hills. It's GOTTA be a "Gambler" - it's been sitting there for a few weeks now.

Thread Information