Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

1990 Suburban Build - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1990 Suburban Build

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Finished the dual tire carrier yesterday. All dat azz is making the rear suspension sag a bit more than I can live with so I'm going out to the neighbors junk yard this morning to find some 3/4 ton spring packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    What did you race the gambler in before? Doesn’t it have to be a $500 beater or something along those lines?
    Superscout, Ridgerunner, myself and 2 other deplorables used this Chevy 2wd van and had a good time:

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    Superscout, Ridgerunner, myself and 2 other deplorables used this Chevy 2wd van and had a good time:

Looks like a good time! I don’t know why it’s so fun to abuse beaters but it is. This event is definitely on my bucket list!

Well get to it before the government finds out and bans it because it's too fun.

The 2018 Detroit Gambler 500 is April 28th-29th.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1938761949704921/

Here's a video from last year's Detroit event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWuQvH0eLJs

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Well get to it before the government finds out and bans it because it's too fun.

The 2018 Detroit Gambler 500 is April 28th-29th.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1938761949704921/

Here's a video from last year's Detroit event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWuQvH0eLJs
    wow that looks like fun! Think it’s time to start shopping for another beater car... and a place to live until my wife gets over the fact that I bought another beater car!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Looks good!

Thanks! Yesterday I torched some leaf springs from the back of a Chevy 2500 pickup and got those most of the way installed. Going to finish it tonight and hopefully the stance is improved. The old half ton leafs were almost inverted once I finished the spare tire carrier and tossed some gear in the back.

The 2500 springs I put in the back got the ride height just where I want it. I also tossed on an OEM transfer case skid plate I snagged on ebay. So it's pretty much done. The things left to do are install the roof hatch and wire up a trailer connection. Not much.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    The 2500 springs I put in the back got the ride height just where I want it. I also tossed on an OEM transfer case skid plate I snagged on ebay. So it's pretty much done. The things left to do are install the roof hatch and wire up a trailer connection. Not much.

I like that you got the pictures of the suburban in its natural habitat. Lol. Why the roof vent? The burban looks really good, I couldn’t imagine cutting a big hole in the roof for that.

I always wanted a vehicle with an escape hatch in the roof.

Played in the woods a little and jacked up the steering box so it won't turn and ate the spider gears in the rear axle's detroit locker so FWD only. Otherwise, it was a lovely time.

PghOffRoad Regular
    Is that a detroit truetrac or a detroit locker? I thought those things were fairly stout...

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    It's not a detroit Pat said he was told it had a Yukon in the back
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

After staring at it, I think it's a Detroit Posi.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Mmmmmmmm... leaf sprung goodness...
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

Last night I found the two smaller spider gears were nearly completely toothless. The two larger gears were surprisingly good looking. I pulled out the springs and plates and welded it up. I will run that until it breaks again, then look at a 3/4 ton axle upgrade.

A week or so ago I replaced the steering box with a spare I had. That didn't fix the steering issue. While doing that I did the intermediate steering shaft upgrade. I swapped in a shaft from a 96 XJ (84-96 works) and it eliminates the sloppy original rag joint end.

Last night I started changing the pump, which I bought at the beginning of October at Napa. When I removed the serpentine belt, the pulley and most of the shaft came right out of the pump. It had snapped off deep inside and that's why I had no power steering! Hopefully I can return that lol. I put in a spare pump I had so the burban is back in action.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    What axle is in the rear? 12 bolt? There was a 14 bolt rear on Craigslist with disc brakes for $600. Price is a little steep but having disc brakes all around is nice. My buddy ran a welded 12 bolt with 44’s for a surprising amount of time until it died, made it through running on asphalt, mud holes and rocks. It finally broke when he was pulling the truck on the trailer...

10 bolt front and rear, which is supposed to be good for 35" tires. I have a 14 bolt rear I can regear and use, I just need to find a deal on a front dana 60, do cross over steering, buy new wheels, etc.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 12-11-2017 at 01:35 PM.

PghOffRoad Regular
    Sweet ride. This will probably be the most over-qualified vehicle for a Gambler 500 ever. lol

Nah, the Pinzgauers and Unimogs take the cake!

My 8.5 10 bolts did ok with 35's. That limited slip looks like an auburn limited slip. When my 87 Silverado's junk yard limited slip's case cracked. I put the factory posi and 373's out of my 79 Z-28 in it. It worked so much better. That version has a S shaped spring clip in the middle. It always worked and was not limited when it was needed.

You will definitely want to beef the frame up around the steering box. My frame cracked there, if I didn't catch it when I did the box would have fell off.
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

Grabbed a rear 9.5" open differential 14 bolt semi floater with 6 lug hubs from a 96 K2500. This will be a nice beefy upgrade that lets me run my current wheels and tires. Won't be a boat anchor like the 14 bolt full floater.

Ordered a Powertrax Lock-Right lunchbox locker and 4.56 gears. Ordered a 3/8" thick dif cover and weld on perches from Ballistic Fab. Hopefully get it built and under my suburban before I ship out for work again.

nice!
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

Almost done, just needs one more shim...

Thread Information