Thread: Winch

Winch

I would like to buy a winch for my 2015 Jeep Wrangler JK. Anybody heard of Warn Winch? I have read good reviews about it. They are currently on sale and I am really tempted to place an order. Please help.

Warn has been in the recover business for decades. I use an OLD 8274. I also have a 80's vintage M8000. Both have been good winches. If your not doing recovery a lot, I've heard decent reviews of the Bad Lands winch from Harbor Freight.
    Steve
    Web wheeling. One forum thread at a time on a 24" monitor.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Asking if anyone has heard of Warn Winch is like asking if anyone has heard of Chevrolet, Jiff peanut butter, and the Pittsburgh Steelers haha.

I just bought a Smittybuilt from Amazon. Haven't used it yet.

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar
    Nothing but a Warn will go on any of my Jeeps or SxSs. When you're using your winch you're either working or stuck. I don't want my cheap winch failing in either situation.

A Warn M8000 is cheap and will do the trick.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Buy Warn. And buy local. They are price protected.
    Something catchy goes here.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    I've bought the badlands from HF for one of my friends trucks, he wants it for looks but it will work well if it has too, but for how long? But when we put it on and tested it it pulled very well.
    I have a smittybuilt on my TJ been on there for years, I've pulled myself out of alot of bad spots, winched my self up and down a ice covered hill, and I've used it with my jeep crane. Its again for how long? Probably longer than the HF badlands but neither is a warn.
    The M8000 is a great winch, you wont be disappointed.
    [I]"Its not a bondfire unless you can see if from space"[/I]\
    TJ now with the power of a 5.2L vs 2.5L get same gas mileage....crap.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    I'm a huge Smittybilt XRC fan. I have an older XRC10 on my XJ that I swapped to synthetic cable, been using it for years and used it hard. I put a XRC H20 or XRC Gen 2 with wireless on my trailer and have used and abused it alot. Both affordable and higher quality units.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

I have seen a lot of failed winches and in our region it is almost always due to corrosion from being exposed to road salt. If your winch is 5 years old and hasn't been covered and/or cleaned meticulously, it probably is dead. Because of that I now buy Smittybilt winches for 1/2 to 1/3 the price.

They have worked well for me and have a better warranty than Warn. In fact, Warns warranty has kind of sucked for about 10 or 15 years now.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! PatF10's Avatar
    My warn died of corrosion, it had to re solder and fix it back up. It may end up needing a motor in the next few years.
    88YJ with some stuff
    74 cj5. 360 powered!
    F150 ecoboost.

I just bought a Smittybilt 9500 LB winch with steel cable and roller fairlead for $300. Have only used it to drag my wife's Jeep up driveway for break in and to keep it lubricated. In those situations, it's been great and seems like a great winch for the value. Looks great on the Jeep and was very easy to hook up as well.

With the comments about salt, perhaps it's a good idea to get a cover to use in the winter?

Quote Originally Posted by belstsrv View Post
    I just bought a Smittybilt 9500 LB winch with steel cable and roller fairlead for $300. Have only used it to drag my wife's Jeep up driveway for break in and to keep it lubricated. In those situations, it's been great and seems like a great winch for the value. Looks great on the Jeep and was very easy to hook up as well.

With the comments about salt, perhaps it's a good idea to get a cover to use in the winter?

Yes a cover isn't a bad idea. Also, hosing it off and spraying it down with wd40. If it is steel cable.

Thread Information