Thread: Considering a new toy/daily driver think it’s a good deal?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

Considering a new toy/daily driver think it’s a good deal?

So I absolutely hate my Chevy and can see the light at the end of the tunnel with being able to sell that pos and not lose my ass on it. I decided that since I should be able to sell it soon enough I should start looking for a new (to me) vehicle and I want a jeep again. I found this on Craigslist and it looks pretty decent to me but I honestly don’t know what these things sell for anymore. I do know it has around 200k (that’s a ton of miles) and supposedly has a new engine in it, but a rust free XJ is tough to find. Take a look and let me know what you think.
    https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ct...344889421.html

The general idea is to have a cheap daily driver that I can have some fun with on the weekends and not be a pos.

If it has been maintained well 200k isn’t a big deal. The XJ is the Toyota of jeeps. 35s are about the max I would ever run on an XJ.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    I had an 89 XJ as a daily driver from about 2005 - 2012. I had to replace or repair literally everything. Everything! The good thing is, there is a lot of information about there on how to troubleshoot and keep the Renix fuel injection 4.0L going, but man, I will never go back to something constantly needing wrenched on or tinkered with. When I was away at college I kept an entire garage in the back of the XJ because I was constantly fixing something. It sucks, because the XJ is a cool idea: a small roomy SUV with solid axle offroad capability. The wiring and the unibody ruined it.

Also, the V8 WJ I owned for awhile was the absolute worst. Unreliable and way too hard to work on.

I also had a 2007 Chevy Avalanche and had computer/engine issues with it. So I swore off 2007 and newer GM products.

I'm fortunate to have a Ram 1500 provided by my company, otherwise I would still be daily driving the 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab I owned before I took my current job, or even a pre-Vortec TBI GM truck. If you can find one that isn't rusted to hell, they seem to be much more reliable and definitely easier to work on.

That's basically how I came to own the vehicles I have now. It's been a long and expensive road lol.

Your mileage may vary!

PghOffRoad Regular
    I loved my XJ. This one looks like it's had a decent amount of work done already. People bag on the XJ because of the unibody, but I wheeled the heck out of mine with no issues. What year is this XJ? I read the ad, but didn't see it mentioned. If it's rust free, I'd say go for it. My only concern would be the 35's on that Dana 30 front. Although, if it's built right, it should hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    I had an 89 XJ as a daily driver from about 2005 - 2012. I had to replace or repair literally everything. Everything! The good thing is, there is a lot of information about there on how to troubleshoot and keep the Renix fuel injection 4.0L going, but man, I will never go back to something constantly needing wrenched on or tinkered with. When I was away at college I kept an entire garage in the back of the XJ because I was constantly fixing something. It sucks, because the XJ is a cool idea: a small roomy SUV with solid axle offroad capability. The wiring and the unibody ruined it.

Also, the V8 WJ I owned for awhile was the absolute worst. Unreliable and way too hard to work on.

I also had a 2007 Chevy Avalanche and had computer/engine issues with it. So I swore off 2007 and newer GM products.

I'm fortunate to have a Ram 1500 provided by my company, otherwise I would still be daily driving the 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab I owned before I took my current job, or even a pre-Vortec TBI GM truck. If you can find one that isn't rusted to hell, they seem to be much more reliable and definitely easier to work on.

That's basically how I came to own the vehicles I have now. It's been a long and expensive road lol.

Your mileage may vary!
    You should get a Toyota. My 03 tundra has 230k on it and gets used hard. I rarely have to do anything to it.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post

Your mileage may vary!
    i have a 2015 Silverado that is about like what you described your old XJ. I thought buy a brand new truck and you won’t have any worries, wrong! So here I am not quite 3 years in and can’t wait to get rid of this pos! It’s on transmission #3, circuit board for wipers melted, transfer case would randomly go into neutral (fun when towing a trailer in traffic on a hill), several recalls and the other day I used the remote starter and watched a nice cloud of blue smoke come out the tailpipe when it started. The good part about all this is that I don’t have to do any of the work or pay for it, the bad is that I paid a lot of money for something that’s totally unreliable, and the warranty is almost up. I figure I could just go back to beaters and save the $ from the truck payment, buying something new isn’t always the answer. Anyway now that that rant is over do you think the price is fair for the Jeep? Anything I should look for? I’m going to look at a 2001 grand Cherokee with a 4.0 tonight (stock and grand pappy owned). Any common problems with these to look for?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    You should get a Toyota. My 03 tundra has 230k on it and gets used hard. I rarely have to do anything to it.
    I have owned a Toyota before and never liked it, wasn’t a bad vehicle but I just never cared for them. Think I’ll stick to either Dodge or Ford, they have never let me down.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    i have a 2015 Silverado that is about like what you described your old XJ. I thought buy a brand new truck and you won’t have any worries, wrong! So here I am not quite 3 years in and can’t wait to get rid of this pos! It’s on transmission #3, circuit board for wipers melted, transfer case would randomly go into neutral (fun when towing a trailer in traffic on a hill), several recalls and the other day I used the remote starter and watched a nice cloud of blue smoke come out the tailpipe when it started. The good part about all this is that I don’t have to do any of the work or pay for it, the bad is that I paid a lot of money for something that’s totally unreliable, and the warranty is almost up. I figure I could just go back to beaters and save the $ from the truck payment, buying something new isn’t always the answer. Anyway now that that rant is over do you think the price is fair for the Jeep? Anything I should look for? I’m going to look at a 2001 grand Cherokee with a 4.0 tonight (stock and grand pappy owned). Any common problems with these to look for?
    I think you get winners and losers with any vehicle brand and model. Sounds like you got a strong loser with your Silverado. My Avalanche was also a big loser, where as my dad has had an Avalanche forever without any real issues. I try not to throw the baby out with the bath water but I've been around Jeeps long enough to know you're signing up for a certain level of self abuse by trying to keep a modified aging Chrysler made jeep on the road lol.

I have no idea what the current Cherokee market looks like but that seems steep. It's all in what you're willing to pay I guess. The one downside of that jeep's lift is that it still has short arms. Makes for a rougher ride and less flex.

Rust is the big thing to avoid. Rear cargo area floor, especially at the upper shock mounts and the rear wheel wells. The rear leaf spring front mounts need to be solid, as well as the upper control arm front unibody mounts. Check around the steering box too and the front floors.

Make sure the bumpers have mounts that go back the unibody rails, they need to bolt to as much body as they can.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    I've had my XJ since 2008. I bought it stock and have built it throughout the years. Have only done maintenance to it. It's never had to get towed. Always got me home. That being said, there is a turd in every pile, and gems too. Most I've ever had to do was jump wires when the NSS failed. Water pump died once drove it home. Steering box shit wheeling in wv once, drove her home. I've truly had no severe issues with my XJ but I've been lucky. And it's no longer a DD so I don't care. I'd never pay over 5k for a rust free properly built XJ. People want to much money for em now. I strongly second the Toyota opinion, 4 runner will be my next DD SUV or a Landcruiser.

Buy my 98 5.9 Limited in my signature. Message me for details
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    FYI I know the guy selling that Jeep. He's had Jeeps for years. He's honest and it's most likely a solid unit. I remember him talking about going to pick up an XJ that must be the one he snagged. Haven't talked to Barry in some years now.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Thread Information