Thread: Canoe transport

Canoe transport

Was just wondering what ideas anyone has seen/used for the best and least expensive way to transport a conoe with tj soft top.The canoe I am looking at is less than 50 lbs.,I was wondering if I could just toss it on top without causing any damage to the roof frame above the sound bar.
    Thanks.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I know that Yakima products are expensive but they work so dam good. I would check out some type of canoe roof rack from them. I have their bike racks, box, and snowboard rack and they all work awesome and hold up great.
    [COLOR=darkorchid][/COLOR]

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Do you have a reciever hitch on the back? You can fab a quick detach bar for the front and rear that would hold it about the top easy enough. Something like a couple t bars.
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    When I had my TJ I just thru it on top of the roll bars and put a ratchet strap around the middle around the bars that go to the windshield. Worked like a charm. The only downside is that you had to have the top down. I wouldnt throw it up on the top.
    01 XJ RE 4.5 33s...

Quote Originally Posted by sleezyrider View Post
    Was just wondering what ideas anyone has seen/used for the best and least expensive way to transport a conoe with tj soft top.The canoe I am looking at is less than 50 lbs.,I was wondering if I could just toss it on top without causing any damage to the roof frame above the sound bar.
    Thanks.
    This will work, but you are risking damage to your top.

The guy posting about Yakima Products has never owned a soft top wrangler or did not read the initial post. Yakima Products are great, but they dont make a soft top Jeep system. You have to buy some one elses rack and then use the Yakima stuff to attach your gear.

I'd suggest figuring out how much you are actually going to try and use the TJ to do this?

Then you really have 2 choices. Buy a Safari (long) bikini and use it when hauling the canoe on your rollbar/ws frame with cam straps as suggested above, or purchase a Kargo Master or other type of over the top rack system (best bet by far)

Alternatives to this like th $60 light bar, and foam block setup that I see people use some times are just not worth it because they are not stable, and not worth the investment.

I have seen a good deal or two on a used Kargo Master type on Ebay before.

Last edited by LaurelHighTim; 04-12-2009 at 08:07 AM.

If it's only 50 lbs. I would try doing it yourself, unless you don't have the equipment or want to invest in it. The alternative would be to contact a vehicle shipper and see how much it will cost. I had a moped shipped with A1 Auto Transport last July and was surprised to find it was pretty cheap since they already had a truck headed that way and had the extra space. Might be worth a flyer to see if it's worth the money/time tradeoff.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Holy old thread!
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Haha ... sorry! I didn't catch the date

A friend of mine bought a used jet ski trailer and he converted it for hauling kayaks.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Just a little shy of a 10 year old thread...

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Just a little shy of a 10 year old thread...
    Kayaks ain't gettin' there by themselves!
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

I wonder what brand of canoe carrier did he go for?

www.RalphsOffRoad.com RalphDogg's Avatar
    Canoes never go out of style.

I would probably go for a sturdy roof rack.

Thread Information