Thread: WTB roof rack for WJ

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

WTB roof rack for WJ

Looking for a cheap roof rack for my new (to me) WJ. I’m running a 4” lift with 32’s and the spare won’t fit into the spare tire well inside. My plan is to just use that space for tool storage and put the spare on a roof rack along with mounting my light bar up there too. Anyway, if anyone has a rack they want to get rid of send me a msg. Thanks!

Trail Leader
    Do you have the factory load bars? You can mount your spare to them and the light bar can be mounted to the roof rails or between them. No need for a rack to do any of that.
    '02 WJ, 4" lift, 35s, 242HD, Ox locker - trussed Super30 front, ARB locker - trussed and skid plated D44a rear, OBA, winch, light bars and a kitchen sink.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I have the two factory cross bars if that’s what you call the load bars, I may give that a try. How should I mount the tire though? I was planning on using the factory spare tire hold down on the rack if I got one.
    I want the roof rack for other reasons as well. It would be nice to throw a gas can up there when I make a camp run to keep the smell out of the inside, I could mount a light bar up there and I think they just look cool. Unfortunately it’s almost the holidays and i don’t have the budget to spend $500 on a looks cool item for the Jeep. I figured I would ask around here and see if any of the 5 people who still use this forum has one laying around that they would be interested in selling.

Trail Leader
    While I was on 32 JK takeoffs, I would slide the cross bars close to each other and use a ratchet strap to strap the tire through the rim to the bars for off roading trips. You could store your gas can in the rim as well.
    '02 WJ, 4" lift, 35s, 242HD, Ox locker - trussed Super30 front, ARB locker - trussed and skid plated D44a rear, OBA, winch, light bars and a kitchen sink.

Thread Information