Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther

www.RalphsOffRoad.com RalphDogg's Avatar

Smile Walther

A friend of mine bought a Walther 22 Pistol a few years back and I thought it was pretty sweet. I liked the look and it was super easy to shoot. I was thinking of buying one just because...keep under my seat or keep in my camper for varmints. Does anyone have any comparable 22 pistols in that price range or some info to point me in a 22pistol direction?

Less posting, more wheeling!

Exclamation

ANY Ruger .22, EXCEPT the Mk.III... which is the model I have...
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    The 22 semi auto pistol market is dominated by Ruger handguns. I own several Mk. III models and shoot them extensively, including a 22/45 with the 1911 panel grips. The Mark IV is new and improved, with an easy take down mechanism for cleaning. I don't really see the point, because I have never taken apart and cleaned a Ruger rimfire handgun, after thousands and thousands of rounds. The Mk. II models are also worthy of owning. Ruger 22s just keep running, and unlike most 22 handguns, they typically will shoot any ammunition you put in them. Other 22 handguns, like the Beretta Neo, Sig Mosquito, Walther P22, Browning Buck Mark, etc and then all the 22 revolvers fall in line behind Ruger's Mark series handguns.

Trail Leader
    What Josh said. I have several, including one I inherited from my grandfather. It’s a 4” fixed sight model with almost no blue left. Still as reliable as sunrise. My favorite is a bull barrel 22/45 Mark III.
    78 Jeep CJ5 304 3 spd BDS w 33s

08 Subaru FXT Forester turbo wagon

06 Dodge 2500 Q-cab 4x4 Cummins

Above all else, be armed. --Machiavelli

I have a Ruger MK1 and MK2, both bull barrels. They are the best shooting 22 pistols I have ever shot and I have shot most of them out there.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    The 22 semi auto pistol market is dominated by Ruger handguns. I own several Mk. III models and shoot them extensively, including a 22/45 with the 1911 panel grips.
    That's MY plan (mine is a bull bbl 22/45) - clean it with a bore snake and q-tips, UNTIL it hopelessly jams. Then I'll sell/trade it to someone, and let THEM break it down & clean it!
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    It’s not a semi auto but I like my Ruger Single Six. It’s a single action revolver with a 6” barrel that shoots really good. It’s surprising how accurate these things are for a small caliber pistol. The nice thing is that all I have to do is change the cylinder and it’s a 22 Mag. It’s a great squirrel hunting pistol that’s a lot of fun to shoot too.

I had a S&W 22S and it shot really well. Pretty weird break down but it wasn't difficult. Good groups and it felt good in my hand.
    [U][quote]An operation this size you don't know who's after you. It could be the ATF, FBI... ****in' Patrik Swayze... who knows?[/quote][/U]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! PatF10's Avatar
    i like my smith model 41. its an awesome shooter. more competition though
    88YJ with some stuff
    74 cj5. 360 powered!
    F150 ecoboost.

Damn you guys have a lot of input. I got a pretty big gift card to Cabelas for xmas from my wife, so I guess Im going to have to take a road trip for a new gun!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I don’t know if things have changed but buying a pistol out of state used to be a pain in the ass! If I remember correctly I thin you had to have it shipped to a gun shop in pa to do all of the background checks, paperwork, etc. I am however truly jealous that you got cabellas gift cards for Christmas, I got work boots and shirts...

Correct, shop at the Cabela's in Hamburg, PA or forget it. By the time you pay the over priced cost of the firearm at Cabela's and have it shipped to an FFL in PA and pay the transfer fee ($20 minimum) it won't be worth it. I'm not sure if Cabela's will even ship a purchased firearm like that.

Quote Originally Posted by RalphDogg View Post
    Damn you guys have a lot of input.
    Wheeling is pretty dead, but competitive shooting is popular and very active in the area. I spend time and money 10:1 on gun stuff compared to wheeling stuff.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I wouldn’t say that wheeling is dead but it does seem to have taken a back seat to the side by side craze. You can either buy a jeep, spend countless hours and dollars modifying it and then repairing it, or just go to the dealer and buy a brand new machine with a warranty that is more capable. My personal preference is still wheeling but riding side by sides is a damn good time.

Good point, I would agree SxS wheeling is where people are at now. Not only due to the ease of picking one up with a payment plan but also because there are more legal places to wheel. Jeep/truck wheeling is pretty dead.

What about purchasing a shotgun out of state?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    As far as I know your good to go on that.

That helps, I occasionally travel to philli but I’m always driving past the Cabelas in Wheeling when visiting my sister in Ohio. I’m going to watch for holiday sales and see what I can get on sale. I really want a new pistol but a nice shotgun would be kick ass.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphDogg View Post
    That helps, I occasionally travel to philli but I’m always driving past the Cabelas in Wheeling when visiting my sister in Ohio. I’m going to watch for holiday sales and see what I can get on sale. I really want a new pistol but a nice shotgun would be kick ass.

Hell yea it does, it sucks that it’s such a pain in the ass to buy a pistol out of state though. You could always use your gift card for large quantities of ammunition and buy a pistol in pa. If you are up for the trip Grice Gun Shop in Clearfield has just about anything you can dream up and have some decent sales too.

Or if you don’t want to deal with the hassle of that gift card I do accept donations... lol

You can buy a long gun in any state as long as it is legal to own in PA, but Cabela's may have a store policy that they will only sell to in state residents to avoid selling a firearm to the resident of a state where it is prohibited. I know for a fact Dunham's stores won't sell to residents of other states. I had a friend from NY try to buy a pump shotgun at a Dunhams while visiting PA.

Grice's has one of the best selections in PA, but they are notoriously high on prices and the joke is that you hold it at Grice's and drive a few blocks to buy it at Bob's Army Navy in Clearfield. You can also find a large selection at Ace in Washington, The Gun Vault in New Alexandria, or Johnson's in Norvelt.

The cheapest way to buy a NEW firearm is usually to buy it online and have it sent to http://www.gunrunnersofpa.com/ in North Versailles where he will receive it and transfer it to you for $20 which includes the background check. His website is a little odd, but he is a good guy and dealing with him is quick and easy.

I usually start here when shopping for a firearm: https://gun.deals/

So let's say you want the Walther P22QD handgun. I search that and find it here for $225 with free shipping... https://www.gunbuyer.com/catalog/pro...-10-1-5120500/

You buy online and tell them to ship it to Gunrunner's of PA and it's yours for $245. You also avoid paying PA sales tax.

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar
    Long guns (rifles and shotguns) can be purchased by a PA resident at the Wheeling store. Pistols are a no-go.

I've got a Sig Sauer Mosquito I'll make you a nice deal on. It's a little bigger than the P22.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    You can buy a long gun in any state as long as it is legal to own in PA, but Cabela's may have a store policy that they will only sell to in state residents to avoid selling a firearm to the resident of a state where it is prohibited. I know for a fact Dunham's stores won't sell to residents of other states. I had a friend from NY try to buy a pump shotgun at a Dunhams while visiting PA.
    Yep. I had a 6 mos. old license from IN when I moved here; I was lazy, and didn't bother changing it, because I was too busy with my new job, home, then new kids (twins), etc. Decided to get an AK from Dunham's in '05, and discovered... I needed a NEW license!

I have not yet decided on a 22 pistol, and the Cabelas card is already spent on outdoor stuff. Thanks for all the information, I have learned a few things on guns after this post.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    As for the original post, the current Walther P22 is more reliable than that of several years ago. Been through a few changes that many complained about back then.
    Including a decock/safety lever.
    ···╔════════╗
    ·█╢░░░░░░░░╟█
    ·._├────────┤_.
    ╘╕Θ║║║║║║║Θ╒╛
    ═══╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═══
    Hyper..... or, just call me Tim
    '13 Jeep JK Wrangler (his)
    '16 Jeep KL Cherokee Trailhawk (her's)

Jeep Ambassador to the FJORC

„ɹǝʇʇods ʎɯ ǝɯɐןq ˙˙˙˙sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı„

Thread Information