Thread: 2018 Wrangler JL

Noob!

2018 Wrangler JL

What do you guys think? I was half expecting a lifted Fiat 500 when Jeep announced the redesign, but the JL is impressive.

Back to the boxier front end. Diesel in 2019. Kept the solid front axle and manual transmission option. Rubicon trim will run 35s on the stock suspension. Tons of interior tie downs and molle panels in the front seat backs. Looks like there's already a vent hole in the passenger fender for a snorkel. Seems like they're catering a little more to the overland community now.

I'm not a huge fan of the daytime running lights in the flares, but that's just nitpicking.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arailt View Post
    What do you guys think? I was half expecting a lifted Fiat 500 when Jeep announced the redesign, but the JL is impressive.

Back to the boxier front end. Diesel in 2019. Kept the solid front axle and manual transmission option. Rubicon trim will run 35s on the stock suspension. Tons of interior tie downs and molle panels in the front seat backs. Looks like there's already a vent hole in the passenger fender for a snorkel. Seems like they're catering a little more to the overland community now.

I'm not a huge fan of the daytime running lights in the flares, but that's just nitpicking.

Overall I like it, I don’t like the turn signals in the fender flairs though. I am curious to see what they are like in person and would love to drive the diesel version. Haven’t seen the price tag yet though...

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Price tag is high. Word on the street is Mahindra is going to make a push on the US market with a small Jeep esque SUV. They made Jeeps for us during WW2, and built them under license after that. Lots of CJ3b looking units. Their newest one is the Thar, and I hope that's what comes state side. Google them, they are awesome
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

The Mahindras look cool but they are going to have trouble meeting our emissions and safety standards.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I agree the thing definitely looks cool but I seen what appears to be IFS under it. It may be cheap though, like a modern day tracker.

PghOffRoad Regular
    Not 100% sure, but I think the IFS version is their 2WD model. Their "Jeeps" come in both 2WD and 4WD flavors.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Well if it comes with a solid front axle and the axles are actually worth a shit then I might be interested.
    I have looked at the mahindra tractors and they seem to be built well, kind of the old school big heavy cast iron design you don’t see from the other manufacturers now days. I don’t own one though so I can’t say what the company’s reliability is like.

Noob!
    The Mahindra looks cool. I'll be shocked if it can meet US safety standards though. Might be able to compete in the side-by-side market.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    https://youtu.be/ERKEbdvoiDs
    like I expected it’s somewhere between tracker and Jeep. It’s definitely IFS and just kind of weird, but if I translated it right it looks to be about $12500 new in US Dollars. From the looks I would say no way to US safety standards and by the time they put all the safety crap on it it will probably cost as much as a Jeep lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner97 View Post
    Price tag is high. Word on the street is Mahindra is going to make a push on the US market with a small Jeep esque SUV. They made Jeeps for us during WW2, and built them under license after that. Lots of CJ3b looking units. Their newest one is the Thar, and I hope that's what comes state side. Google them, they are awesome
    I haven't seen price brackets yet but considering jk's quickly get into mid 40s that wouldn't surprise me.

The jl might be Kim's Durango replacement in 2 years.
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

www.RalphsOffRoad.com RalphDogg's Avatar
    Is it the same thing as the JK with cosmetic changes?

Quote Originally Posted by RalphDogg View Post
    Is it the same thing as the JK with cosmetic changes?
    close but no. different axles. rear in the rubi supposedly is close to dana 60 strength (for ring and pinion). new motor options with a 420 ft/lb tq diesel option for the 4 door. all new interior. exterior changes. etc. supposedly very few parts will interchange.

www.RalphsOffRoad.com RalphDogg's Avatar
    Great write up on the JL in his months issue of Four Wheeler. I definitely want to see it in person, it sounds pretty nice with lighter in weight doors, different top design and other cool stuff.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJHOMm3tCN0

I like the jeep but would not buy it. Too much technology shoved into it. I like plain jane SE models with as few wires as possible.
    Last edited by muddeprived; 02-06-2018 at 09:05 PM.
    "You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter"

I like the exterior except for the lights on the front fender flares.

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Expensive as hell, but I'm buying one. I haven't been working my ass off for nothing. Bring on the toys.

Official Meet and Greet Coordinator Alley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    Expensive as hell, but I'm buying one. I haven't been working my ass off for nothing. Bring on the toys.
    So when you going to buggy it huh Matt?
    "Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    In pictures and seeing a couple sit im Micks... I mean Shorkeys lot, I like the JL aside from the fender lights. Can't comment on anything else though as I haven't been hands on with one, and I'll probaly be driving my JKU until I'm in a wheelchair and senile (and by time my wifes KL is ready for replacement the JN will be near the end of it's line)

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post
    So when you going to buggy it huh Matt?
    Not this one! Although if JJ ends up liking the hobby, we'll absolutely be building more Jeeps. I mean, that's how it started with my dad when I was 16 and my brother got into it. We're in the same house. It deserves to have 4 Jeeps parked out back and one always on jack stands, right?

I figure the JT is just a good place to start, but it'd never get wheeled really hard, more of a family wheeler. But if the kids get older and enjoy it, I'll absolutely build something nuts again. I really miss building things.

My wife is probably trading her durango in on a 2 door JL next year. once i get a bigger work vehicle.

Noob!
    I don't care for the lights in the fender flares either. Ironically, it's pretty much the only way I can tell them apart from the 1.5 million JKUs I see on a daily basis. Kind of disappointing how close they look to the JK in person.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Grill is different, rear end slightly different (if driving behind) taillights are a lot different, fender lines are nice, especially on the Sahara and Rubis. The 8 speed pulls well on the highway. Still noisy as hell, which is frustrating for a $50K vehicle. If Land Rover can sort that, so can Jeep.

Stock steering looks beefy, and the factly axles look like they are decent. I got to pull one apart a few months ago and measure things, and if I had the scratch, I would buy one.
    ___
    Offroad design and Jeep parts
    www.AzzysDesignWorks.com
    facebook.com/AzzysDesignWorks
    @AzzyDesignWorks

Thread Information