Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I broke the WJ...

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by XJchris98 View Post
    No new driveshaft needed. You have two options to adapt a 1310/1330 u-joint to the 8.8. Either a $38 adapter flange or swap to a traditional yoke for $~100.
    How about driveshaft length? Is the 8.8 neck the same than the D44a?
    '02 WJ, 4" lift, 35s, 242HD, Ox locker - trussed Super30 front, ARB locker - trussed and skid plated D44a rear, OBA, winch, light bars and a kitchen sink.

PghOffRoad Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by J.M. View Post
    How about driveshaft length? Is the 8.8 neck the same than the D44a?
    I believe there is about 1/8" difference between the two. This is based on the standard D44, I'm not 100% sure if the Dana 44A has different dimensions. I would imagine they're the same. Either way it's close enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    I don’t think the 44A is much if any improvement over the WJ D35.
    At least from what I saw on the trails, they put up with a lot compared to the 35: sure it's an AL piece of poo that's c-clipped, but the biggest issue that grand group always had was tweaking the housings and bearings whining do to it, but you could always get home. That said I agree with everyone else 8.8 is the easiest swap. I dropped a TJ 44 in but they're a lot harder to find and not THAT much better. Cost wise I wish I did an 8.8, maybe then I could afford another Jeep

Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    At least from what I saw on the trails, they put up with a lot compared to the 35: sure it's an AL piece of poo that's c-clipped, but the biggest issue that grand group always had was tweaking the housings and bearings whining do to it, but you could always get home. That said I agree with everyone else 8.8 is the easiest swap. I dropped a TJ 44 in but they're a lot harder to find and not THAT much better. Cost wise I wish I did an 8.8, maybe then I could afford another Jeep
    You are probably right, Matt. They don’t seem to die a violent death like a 35 but they don’t seem like a long term solution.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    My biggest issue with an 8.8 swap is converting everything to work with the WJ. Coil spring mounts, control arm mounts, ABS bs, etc. it makes it a PITA to do in my driveway... I can’t imagine what the cost would be to pay someone to do the swap, could probably buy a good custom bolt in unit from somewhere cheaper than paying labor on that, but I dunno? My original thoughts were to get a decent d44a setup and keep the old d35 for when I gernade the d44a... Its an old Jeep with some miles under its belt, so I can’t see spending tons of $ on a big dollar axle swap that I really don’t need.

Most of that stuff was included in the kit I linked to.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Well it looks like my Jeep troubles are not finished after all. My wife wanted to do some wheeling so we took a ride out to Casparis this afternoon and when I put the Jeep in 4wd it would kick out and grind under a load again... I used 4low after that and it worked fine the rest of the trip, so it looks like a transfer case issue after all. I think I’ll just find a junk yard tcase and put in it, seems like the fun never ends! Casparis was a solid sheet of ice and it was just us so we only took a small tour. We went up to the caves then drove up to the cabin at the lake and turned around, I didn’t want to get in too deep since we were alone and everything being ice up there. We definitely need to take a trip out there again sometime soon!

Thread Information