Thread: PA vehicle code

PA vehicle code

I am going to try and get my truck inspected this week, and everyone keeps telling me that the tire tread cannot exceed the fender flares. I downloaded the vehicle equipment and inspection regulations, and cannot find anywhere that it says that. Anyone else able to get their vehicle to pass inspection with tires sticking out farther than their flares?

How far past the fender ? It its only an 1 - 1 1/2" you should be good just about anywhere. If its more then you just have to take your chances and if it fails look for some stock tires to use for getting it inspected
    Owner

www.trailbrightled.com

Quote Originally Posted by mbras008 View Post
    I am going to try and get my truck inspected this week, and everyone keeps telling me that the tire tread cannot exceed the fender flares. I downloaded the vehicle equipment and inspection regulations, and cannot find anywhere that it says that. Anyone else able to get their vehicle to pass inspection with tires sticking out farther than their flares?
    According to the law, your tires can’t stick out past the flares. People do get away with it sometimes but you should plan on failing inspection if your tires stick out. Cops will also use it as a reason to pull you over.

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    According to the law, your tires can’t stick out past the flares. People do get away with it sometimes but you should plan on failing inspection if your tires stick out. Cops will also use it as a reason to pull you over.
    But i cant find the law. Its not in the vehicle inspection regs.

Current PA vehicle code, updated in 2017:
    a) Condition of tires and wheels. Tires and wheels shall be in safe operating condition as described in § 175.80 (relating to inspection procedure).
    (b) Tire standards. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall have tires manufactured in conformance with standards in Chapter 159 (relating to new pneumatic tires). See 75 Pa.C.S. § 4525 (relating to tire equipment and traction surfaces). Tires with equivalent metric size designations may be used.
    (c) Radial ply tires. A radial ply tire may not be used on the same axle with a bias or belted tire.
    (d) Different types of tires. Tires of different types, such as one snow tire and one regular tire or bias, belted or radial tire, may not be used on the same axle except in an emergency.
    (e) Nonpneumatic tires. A passenger car or light truck operated on highway may not be equipped with nonpneumatic tires except an antique vehicle with nonpneumatic tires if originally equipped by the manufacturer.
    (f) Ice grips or studs. A tire may not be equipped with ice grips or tire studs or wear-resisting material which have projections exceeding 2/32 inch beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire.
    (g) Tires and rims. The axles of a vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with the number and type of tires and rims with a load rating equal to or higher than those offered by the manufacturer.
    (h) Spacers. Spacers or similar devices thicker than 1/4 inch may not be installed to increase wheel track.
    175.77. Body.

(a) Condition of body. All items on the body shall be in safe operating condition as described in § 175.80 (relating to inspection procedure).
    (b) Fenders. The wheels of a vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with fenders of a type used as original equipment. A tire may not come in contact with the body, fenders or chassis of the vehicle.
    (c) Hood and hood latches. The entire motor compartment of a vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be covered by a hood. The hood shall be equipped with a double latch system to hold it in the closed position if the hood was originally so equipped.
    (d) Protruding objects. There may be no torn metal, glass or other loose or dislocated parts protruding from the body of the vehicle.
    (e) Fender flares. A vehicle may be equipped with fender flares not to exceed 3 inches.
    (f) Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side. Tailgates, except on vehicles where the tailgate gives access to the passenger compartment, may be replaced with wood planking, nets or other material that will prevent loss of load. Tailgates may be removed when optional equipment, for example a truck camper, is added.

never mind, i found it.

(1) Inspect the tires and wheels and reject if one or more of the following apply:
    (i) A tire has two adjacent treads with less than 2/32-inch tread remaining at any point—less than 4/32-inch tread on the front tires of the vehicles having a gross weight in excess of 10,000 pounds.
    (ii) A tire is worn so that the tread wear indicators contact the road in any two adjacent grooves.
    (iii) A part of ply or cord is exposed.
    (iv) A tire has been repaired with a blow-out patch or boot.
    (v) There is a bump, bulge or separation.
    (vi) A tire is marked “not for highway use,” “for racing purposes only” or “unsafe for highway use,” or has a similar designation.
    (vii) There are other conditions or markings reasonably believed to render the tire unsafe for highway use.
    (viii) A tire has been regrooved or recut below the original tread design depth except special taxicab tires which are identified as having extra undertread rubber.
    (ix) A tire’s tread extends beyond the outer edge of the wheel housing inclusive of fender flares.

Trail Leader
    Garden edging
    85 4Runner "Garage Wheeler"

Thread Information