Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Let the fishing begin!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let the fishing begin!

Let the fishing begin!

Anybody go out on Saturday? I was tied up, but hopefully will be able to get out later this week.

Any advice or tips for local fishing? I'm gonna experiment with some alternative baits (corn, breads, different salted minis) for trout this year.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! jackb1's Avatar
    I always fight the crowd and do opening day. It was great. The rain drove everyone off and I only saw 3 other people. Got my limit and went in.

Bait: Butterworm. It is THE bait for trout.
    It's not illegal, it's frowned upon.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I didn't get to make it out, but went up hereford manor in zilly when did opening day like two weeks ago. caught 5 in an hour we were there, then went and cooked em on a fire at my buddys camp. yummm
    Remo
    08 Rubicon

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    x2 on the butterworms and corn. I've always done great on those two baits as well as maggots and meal/wax worms. For lures I always go spinners and they are Joe's flies or tiny Worden's Rooster Tails. Rooster Tails in White or Brown, Joe's Flies are the coachman and a brown one I cannot remember the name of.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Less posting, more wheeling!
    im heading out friday night for some cat fishin, then ending saturday morning with some troutin up by kittaning. i usually use phobe spinners for them unless they're not biting then i switch to butterworms.

I'll have to track down some butter worms.

sethman, what are you using for catfishing? I was using chicken livers in Beaver County with good results

chicken liver here to, works perfect for south side catfish. if i feel up to it i'll make dough ball with beef liver.

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    Went out Saturday up to Neshannock near Volant. Got freaking drenched (camped out 2 nights). Hooked up like crazy Saturday morning - mostly on mealies, a few on red worms, and a few on spinners. Once the rain started the bite picked up quick.

By noon the creek was totally blown out. Probably not fishable for another day or two.

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

went out Saturday morning to Glade Run Lake. Got a couple nibbles on butterworms, but didn't hook anything. as we were packing up, we caught a big mink frog which was fun. Oh well.

I'll be kayaking and fishing Little Chartiers Creek and Canonsburg Lake this Saturday after turkey hunting.

I haven't fished Glade Run yet but was thinking of going over there once we get a few decent days of weather. Fish out of a kayak - how's the water level over there?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    went to pine creek yesterday off sample road. caught 2 trout and my buddy got 4. none were that big though, the biggest was like around 8"
    Remo
    08 Rubicon

Nice. I haven't tried Pine yet this year. Went last year off of Wildwood and the creek was so full of mud from the North Park Lake project it was unfishable - water was chocolate milk and the banks were silt/quicksand. Went downstream a few miles and it was still terrible water conditions, so I kind of gave up on Pine Creek. Glad to hear its not that bad down on Sample.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! jackb1's Avatar
    I've been carrying my gear around since the 17th and have not had a spare 30 minutes to drop in. Glad someone is out having fun.
    It's not illegal, it's frowned upon.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    slippery rock creek yesterday, my buddy 7 trout, me 2 (i hate him). kept six of em and ate them today for lunch!

my buddy caught this guy with a nice bite taken out of him....
    Remo
    08 Rubicon

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I really need to get my licence... tired of seeing people standin in the creeks as I drive by and not bein there myself.

That's some sad news about that guy who is missing up at Slippery Rock Creek. That creek can really get moving.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    first fish of the year down emsworth dam

I hate catfish
    Remo
    08 Rubicon

Cool

I'm going THIS Saturday. FIRST camping trip for the oldest - FIRST fishing trip too. Here's hoping ol' DAD survives!!!

We spent this past Saturday in the yard, setting up a new tackle box, explaining lures, and teaching him how to cast. Nothing like explaining fishing to an Autistic 11 year old. After showing him HOW to cast (and, how NOT to cast), I finally said, "Here - stand over here and practice, while I spool up my new reel!" He actually got pretty decent after a while!

Here's hoping the really STOOPID fish are biting Saturday afternoon - I'd love for him to get hooked... in a GOOD way. Oh - and I got him to watching fishing shows on the WFN Channel!
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

I love catfish, probally gonna head out to one of the dams with weekend. I go night fishin for cats all the time. What did ya use as bait?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    chicken liver/night crawlers. I was down the back channel monday night but didn't have any luck down there. It was packed too
    Remo
    08 Rubicon

PghOffRoad Regular
    Joined the Zelie/Harmony Sportsmans club Sunday. Went to the lake with my brother and trolled the canoe around for about 2 hours. Caught a monster 26 1/2" rainbow with my ultralight on a spinner. Beautiful way to bring march in ! Can't get my pic to load : ([IMG]2012-03-18 12.00.16[/IMG]
    Last edited by IBJEEPN; 03-22-2012 at 08:21 PM.
    [URL]http://justjeepin.org/[/URL]
    [url]http://www.hrja.org/[/url]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by IBJEEPN View Post
    Joined the Zelie/Harmony Sportsmans club Sunday. Went to the lake with my brother and trolled the canoe around for about 2 hours. Caught a monster 26 1/2" rainbow with my ultralight on a spinner. Beautiful way to bring march in ! Can't get my pic to load : ([IMG]2012-03-18 12.00.16[/IMG]
    Did you catch it at that Harford mannor lake up in zilly?
    Remo
    08 Rubicon

PghOffRoad Regular
    I caught it at the sportsmans club. It's the lake where several firefighters drowned a few years ago. You have to be a member. I think they drained Herford Lake recently.
    [URL]http://justjeepin.org/[/URL]
    [url]http://www.hrja.org/[/url]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    been catching a bunch of cat fish down emsworth damn, no luck on trout . Went up to the falls Sunday to dick around and fish. this was the only thing we caught
    Remo
    08 Rubicon

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    my buddy caught this cat fish yesterday while we were out.
    Remo
    08 Rubicon

Thread Information