Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Fishing boat build
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing boat build

www.RalphsOffRoad.com RalphDogg's Avatar

Fishing boat build

In my world of the never ending land of projects, I have decided to tear into my fishing boat. I picked this boat up extremely cheap over the summer. The boat needed a ton of motor tuning, electrical work, the bottom end was apart and the previous owner backed it into something breaking the tail off. I finally got the motor running, idling, and shifting properly, and all the the broken parts welded back together. I had no plans of doing anything else but since I love projects I tore the boat apart over this weekend.

My build plans are: new floor and carpet. Shave the 25 hp motor badges off and stick on 20 hp badges so I can cruise most fishing lakes legal, Bimini top, new live well seat cover, clean up dashboard...

the day I brought her home.

Took the boat out a couple of times on Loyalhanna Lake for shakedown runs. Got her all tuned in! The layout is killer and the boat is super stable with the tri hull design.
    Last edited by RalphDogg; 02-04-2018 at 08:36 PM.

The floor was soft. The floor was soft enough that you HAD to wear shoes or your heel would poke threw the old plywood, I think the carpet was all that was holding it together. I ripped out the old shit and noticed that the last guy just sheethed over the original flooring. Although original floor was fragile the stringers seem to be somewhat solid, so I’m going over it just like the last guy with treated 3/4” plywood and outdoor carpet. It should be just fine for fishing.

Yep that’s a frizbee floor cover.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Should be a pretty good little fishing boat when your done. You ever finish the tracker build you were working on?

The Tracker is really close. I am sewing up a custom rag top with rear window and then she goes in for state inspection. Once the weather breaks I will be driving it. If it we’re summer I would be more motivated to get it finished.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I miss my little 12 footer fishing boat with a 9.9 (well kt "technically" was a 15, but i had a 9.9 engine cover and vin tag on it, still have a spare of each somewhere for a Johnson/Evenrude). Scary in the Pittsburgh Pool on the Allegeny (ever felt like you just pulled into a monster truck rally in an Omni?). As long as you got solid stringers and transem, your in.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I never went on the rivers dawn tawn, I would imagine it being really scary on a 12’ boat. My yacht is a no longer sea worthy 12’ sears gamefisher with a trolling motor of the same vintage. Most of my trips have been places you don’t typically see anything with a motor (yough river, kiski river, etc.). I always wanted to make a jet ski powered Jon Boat but never actually did it, I even had a seadoo hx ready to be hacked up and everything...

A aluminum jet boat would be awesome on the yough or any shallow water.

I got the 25 HP emblems all shaved and a fresh coat of paint on the engine. Now I’m just looking for a chrome 20 hp badge that has similar matching patina so it doesn’t look out of place next to the Chrysler badge. I found a few “ChevyVan20” fender badges on eBay, the 20 looks like it may work. I may have to but the billet and just pay sucker price for one to check the motor off my project list.

I have been looking for a new prop and I finally scored a new old stock prop on eBay. The current propellor was pretty beat up, I’m hoping this will add a few more horses
    Last edited by RalphDogg; 02-11-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Next on my to do list is to Glue and screw down treated 3/4” treated plywood and install new indoor outdoor carpeting.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    could always get some decals made to match

Less posting, more wheeling!
    GMC made a 25 version for their Van.
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Gotta stay under to make the limit lakes Stevo

Ralphie my youngest brother can make any kind of decal you want. Google 271 Graphics
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

I got the new 3/4” treated plywood installed. It’s not pretty but it will work for the 3times a year I take the boat out. It feels so much ch better to walk on. The original floor was like playing the floor is LAVA, jumping around from seat to seat.

Bought a carpet remnant for a low dollar price, I wasn’t thrilled with the green color but it doesn’t look half bad next to the tan/white boat. It’s not marine grade but it is exterior grade carpet. It’s close enough in my book.

Next step is I’m recovering the center seat cushion and making a Bimini top. The top frame is going to be made of 3/4 steel conduit and some Amazon Bimini top replacement parts. I bought enough fabric to make the seat and Bimini top, I just have to learn how to sew it. Figured there’s no time than now to learn to sew. The top should cost me half the price of buying one, which I’m all about. My dads steel conduit bender is so slick(blue 3’ bar in the picture)i definitely reccoment it for small projects.

Last edited by RalphDogg; 03-09-2018 at 09:10 AM.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I have to say you make some really cool projects! Boat is looking good, now the question is where to mount a jet drive... lol

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    https://youtu.be/I1_cPFSgCr0

Just a little inspiration

Thanks Keith. I’m obsessed with projects, these are just a few of many. I have an addiction and it’s bad.

Never tried building a boat so this is cool. Keep us updated.

I hit it pretty hard over The Weeknd. The tracker shit the bed so I guess I needed something to get my mind off of it.

I got the center consol mounted up with a new aluminum dashboard cover.

I supercharged my wife’s sewing machine with a little help from the World Wide Web and now it can sew thicker UV resistant thread, and I started sewing up the center console live well seat cover.

I also got all the framework made for the Bimini top and started sewing up the cover. I should have ordered an extra yard of material but this is the Proto type so I’ll get it correct in the next run. I really wish I had a bimini top to copy off of I was just using pictures from the Internet. There is about 6 foot of standing room underneath the top.

The top is pretty close. I barely had enough material so hopefully the loops for the frame poles will slide through for assembly. Like I said Proto type so it’s close enough,I’ll fix any mistakes in the remodel.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Nice job Ralph
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    This is a very nicely laid out fishing boat for sure. Good work! I wish I had the time/money/place/drive to build one like this. Let me know if you need help testing it out

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    What do you mean by tracker shit the bed? What happened to it?

I would imagine it being really scary on a 12’ boat. My yacht is a no longer sea worthy 12’ sears more with a trolling motor of the same vintage. Most of my trips have been places you don’t typically see anything with a motor (yough river, kiski river, etc.). I always wanted to make a jet ski powered Jon Boat but never actually did it

I finally got the boat out today on its maiden voyage on Yough Lake. A little fishing and a little cruise around. The new propellor didn't make a damn bit of difference, I guess the boat is just slow and I have to live with that. But the Bimini top was the tits with that high octane sun! Im pretty happy I decided to fix up the broken and bring the boat back with a new life. Now to just make the time to fish and enjoy.

Thread Information