Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Stretch my TJ into a extra extended LJ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stretch my TJ into a extra extended LJ

Less posting, more wheeling!

Stretch my TJ into a extra extended LJ

Well, I don't wheel my TJ much its fire trails and hauling tools etc, I use it like a truck. Wish I had a jeep truck...
    And while hauling some logs over the weekend, found a crack in the frame. Nothing a bit of welding and some plate couldn't fix but it a bandaid.
    Need some new rear frame, so while browsing pirate I saw have truck jeep thread!
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...l#post10907946
    By jove! This is the answer! I'll make stretch my TJ into a extra extended LJ like truck!

I'm thinking of a 24-36" stretch, a half cab with a headache/YJ like combo sport bar in the rear, a new rear frame segment from the skid plate back, using YJ rear leafs instead of link and coils this is a truck jeep the flex I can get with leafs will be fine for the trails I have.

Now to find the parts know I probably have somewhere maybe...

I have a bunch of 2x4 and 2.5x4 .25 wall tube, new rear frame is good to go material wise.
    Now I have some YJ rear springs and shackles for the rear end, some where....(really I dont know how I can fit so much stuff in my carport, must be a tardis or something)
    I have a 4.10 8.8 laying around somewhere in the carport of sorrow, to swap out my 3.73 8.8 since I want to get back up to 33's

Now its to find
    A TJ tub or YJ tub, I like the more square like rear inner fenders on a YJ tub.
    And to find a soft half top till I can get the fiberglass skills to cut down my hard top.
    [I]"Its not a bondfire unless you can see if from space"[/I]\
    TJ now with the power of a 5.2L vs 2.5L get same gas mileage....crap.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    taking unsafe rigs to a whole other level

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Mmm me likey this plan LOL
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Quote Originally Posted by 2002wranglerX View Post
    Too much for me to use just a section of the tub, need to find a cheapo delux tub.

www.RalphsOffRoad.com RalphDogg's Avatar
    Very cool. Definitely a fold down tailgate, F that swinging gate.

Quote Originally Posted by RalphDogg View Post
    Already have the fold down gate, found a replacement CJ tailgate on amazon prime last year.
    I will need to make a new tire carrier, but I could mount it in the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by RalphDogg View Post
    Already have the fold down gate, found a replacement CJ tailgate on amazon prime last year.
    I will need to make a new tire carrier, but I'm thinking I could make a side mount for the tire and some jerry cans.

Speaking of Jeep truck there's a '88 MJ for sale on CL. It's been up for a while so who knows what it looks like. TJ stretch gets about 45k more style points and I'm sure the fab fun and point value will be off the charts.
    [U][quote]An operation this size you don't know who's after you. It could be the ATF, FBI... ****in' Patrik Swayze... who knows?[/quote][/U]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! PatF10's Avatar
    I actually like the swinging gate on my YJ. makes it easier to get stuff in and out. I have a fold down on the CJ. Its nice but i like the quick latch and bed access with the YJ swinging one.
    88YJ with some stuff
    74 cj5. 360 powered!
    F150 ecoboost.

Doing some math today, I'm going to stretch the TJ 48" total using my tub and cutting it off at the rear seam and then grafting the new tube there for 40".
    Then taking from my tub the rear sections on either side of the tailgate, I'll graft those on between the rear seam on the new tub to add 8" to the rear of the second tub.

To explain it better. I attached a drawing

I extended a Samurai tub by using a door section, I cut behind the door moved the rear of the body back 12 inches and grafted in a door skin since it had the same body lines.
    Last edited by RalphDogg; 04-11-2018 at 08:42 PM.

After looking at a TJ, that may not work for you at all.

PghOffRoad Regular
    With a 48" stretch, you should make it a 6 wheeler

Quote Originally Posted by AngusGT View Post
    With a 48" stretch, you should make it a 6 wheeler
    I'm good with just the four, plus it would be a pain to find a set of rear axles.

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    That paint drawing makes my day.

Well spent the day out in the wind and rain getting the rear of a 89 yj tub, getting that into my bunny truck and out was a pain, started trimming off the rust right as it started snowing.
    Time to start welding up the frame extension then to figure out where the other xj spring I have is I can find one spring pack but hell if I know where the other one is.

Going over my math and just laying some stuff out I'm going to skip the 8" insert on the YJ tub, to much effort for 8" so it just going to be a 40" stretch.

I'm going to get the whole setup down then as soon as it warm for a few days continuously you know some time in June the way its been going. Take off the hard top, and rolll bar, well I'll clean the tools out first, I swear my TJ it a rolling tool box. I'll throw some jack stands under the TJ choppy choppy roll the old rear off roll the new rear up weld, do some bad body work, butcher a soft top to make a half top for the moment. You know the long weekend project....
    Last edited by DeathBlade556; 04-16-2018 at 07:34 PM.

Well I was looking for my soft top and cant find it, I think somebody took it out of my carport. So if anybody has a cheap TJ to with bows etc let me know!
    The plan for the soft top is to cut the side windows right at the edge of the vinyl, then to put in a new zipper or possibly use the old one to cut the length of the top down, Then I was going to pull the stitches on the front bar of the bows and pull the top up tight and reattach to the front bar, It would use the stock hardware but be a half top! Probably

As for the rear window attachment I'm making a removable bulkhead from 1" square tube which will ride just past the edge of the rear seat foot wells.
    I'm going to weld in a lip made from 1"x1/4 angle.

Got to doing some precision cutting today on the tube, Need to do some patch work on the YJ tub, mainly near where the old seat mounts were poop.

Now I cant see the ribs in the TJ floor since I have this tool drawer, do you think their same spacing as a YJ. I'm going to get a TJ or YJ rear floor replacement panel to graft the two tubs so the ribs are continuous front to back.

I started cutting 1" tube to make my bulkhead. As for the roll bar I'm going to have it penetrate the hard top. I'm going to make two screw out sections that will be fixed to the hard top. I have some 2.5" steel round that I can turn down and make some tube joints like this. Then I'll have to make a second set to put in when the hard top is off.

YJ tub in a bunny truck.

Precision angle grinding....
    Soon to be precision mig welding....

Trail Leader
    I have an LJ soft top. Original 2005. Some wear and tear, like 13 years worth. No rear window. $60?

Well I'm getting the rest of the parts, I picked up a 4.10 8.8 with a limited slip at upullandpay's pullathon, a 8.8 with springs and brakes is heavy(atleast 300 if the axle is 195 minus rotors) when you have to carry it 20 feet by yourself.
    Time to grind off some bracket and make some shackles, since I'm going to use the explorer leafs. I cant find the YJ springs I had there somewhere???

Also got the parts in for my front long arms Time to fishmouth some DOM!

The TJ rear floor sections I ordered came in and they were bent to hell, had bad bends and ribbing, then I noticed there were for a CJ WTF?!?!?! so back they go.
    I think I'll make the floor out of a single sheet of 14g tread plate now instead.

Well I was out this morning taking the trail on my property and took it hard. Found I ripped my axle side lower control arm mount off. I went to use my OWB for the first time in a year and found I took the lead out the other day! Well ratchet strap hijinks ensued. Got home. Now to weld it up. Well now its a debate cut off the stock brackets and weld on new brackets and swap in 4.10 on my stock LP30 or Do I find a find a rubi d44 already 4.10s or grab a HP30 and swap in 4.10s

Well I'm slowly getting there, got the frame extension welded up, and the spring mounts welded on this morning,
    now I have to cut the floor out of the YJ tube section and weld in a piece of 14g tread plate since it was rustier that I thought.
    Also got a Milwaukee M18 metal cutting saw works great other than it leave a paper thin layer on 2" tube....

Wow that saw is killer! The frame looks like you have a serous plan to make it only once, no messing around with old factory frame shit.

Well going forward. I was driving home from work a week ago and both my rear upper control arm mounts ripped off of the "frame" I mean rust with paint binder.
    So I had to used a selection of ratchet straps two forward to the skid plate and two back to the bumper to recenter the axle pulled the rear shaft and when FWD home.

So I've got a D30 with 4.10's and for new HD brackets to weld on just got done grinding off the old ones yesterday.
    And then I dug up a dodge NV4500, So I can go five speed. Now I need to get a new clutch. (if anybody needs a 46re let me know)
    I'm going to start with actually finishing the long arms and front end then get the NV4500 in place. I'm thinking of doing a flat skid plate still debating it.

Thread Information