Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Stretch my TJ into a extra extended LJ - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stretch my TJ into a extra extended LJ

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Photo time!

New to me D30, time for new brackets, ball and u joints!

Old brackets I have ground them off, great air chisel of victory!

Now with a NV4500!

Sad Jeep frame...

One way to take off your hard top!

Finally getting there with the intake snorkle

[I]"Its not a bondfire unless you can see if from space"[/I]\
    TJ now with the power of a 5.2L vs 2.5L get same gas mileage....crap.

Well I have to start this back up in the cold now, I was going to wait till spring but my 46re took a dump driving home from work thursday, no warning, right after a stop sign it had no zoom in any gear. Had to get it towed, had to wait almost 2 hours for the tow truck so go some pizza at foxes.
    Then the friday I stripped all my skid plate bolts debating if I want to drill up through the frame and run a longer bolt, or use a hold saw to cut at the frame nuts and slip a nut in from the side.
    Then I'm ripping out the tcase and trans while doing a experiment to see if you can overdose on pepto bismol all while keeping my self in range of the basement toilet.
    more pepto yum pink....

Been a while since I bench pressed a Tcase and trans. I had to cut down my np231 input shaft down for the 46re but I think I'll need the longer version for the nv4500 I'll go measure in a minute the mounting faces and oil seals. If it is anybody got a spare NP231 laying around with the 23 spline?

Since your frame is crusty, why not buy a rust free LJ frame and swap all your stuff into it but shorten and finish the back of your cab into a pickup cab?

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    Since your frame is crusty, why not buy a rust free LJ frame and swap all your stuff into it but shorten and finish the back of your cab into a pickup cab?
    Front of my frame is fine, and I already welded up a rear frame with left springs for the new 8.8

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    I have some 231 take outs all from 6cyl XJ
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade556 View Post
    Front of my frame is fine, and I already welded up a rear frame with left springs for the new 8.8
    Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade556 View Post
    Makes sense.

I lined some things up and would need a longer input shaft but it seem advance adapters make a shorter tail housing/trans mount that will fix the problem. and shave a 1 1/2" from the over all length so thats on order. Started getting the pedals in place till I started getting rained on.

Well got some work done over the last week or two.
    I got NV4500 is in with the advance adapters mount which didn't have the bolt holes for the dodge Tcase shifter link and wouldn't work with the jeep cable shifter I had so I'll have to kit bash the two together,
    but then I found the adapter and NV4500 length made the rear drive shaft 3" to short, so I got the skid plate back in and I found the shifter was touching the dash in neutral.
    So I ended up drilling new holes in my engine mounts and welding slotted extender tabs ontop of the mounts and shifting the engine back almost 3" which gave me room for a new radiator, so much room!
    Previously I had a 1/4" between the electric fan and the water pump, none of the mount holes on the skid plate lined up so I cut the old mount off.
    Then I changed all the fluids and found my oil funnel must have blown way or something oil funnel stealing squirrels??? well anyway invention is the mother of necessity! I had a small safety cone in the back of the truck!

Tomorrow to actually get photos off my phone and to finish ripping out the old wiring, and getting the exhaust back in place, maybe I'll be done this weekend...
    Only to cut the frame up in the summer for the lengthen.

Well, I got it running and driving for the most part, I still need to rig up a parking brake and from driving it around I need to lower down the transmission mount I'll weld that up in a minute.
    The drive shaft angle is way to high, it starts binding under load. I still need to find the right cable for the parking brake, I have a lever from a c30 van that will work.
    But I threw together a transmission cover out of some aluminum diamond plate and some angle, put in a bunch of 1/4-20 nutserts and 3/16 pop rivets.
    Now I need to rig up a 4wd lever so I'm in 2wd for now.

Nice, Gabe. Good to see it’s coming together.

Nice, Gabe. Good to see it’s coming together.

I just finished make a z shaped transmission mount so I could lower the nv4500 1.5" Though after I got it all installed I could have lowered it another 1" probably.
    I'll see how that effects the drive shaft angle, I need to drill some new mount holes in the skid plate and take it out for a drive. Maybe tomorrow morning.

Well driving around without babying it around the block because of the drive shaft angle, Damn I wish I did this years ago.
    This was always a dog with the 46re I must have been loosing so much HP in the trans.
    The NV4500 is night and day so much more HP to the rear wheels!
    First is about useless on the street it that I start in 2nd or even 3rd.
    I've been driving around like a mainiac so much skinny pedal that I blew my spider gears in the 8.8!
    Guess its time to to the rear frame splice and body extension so I can swap in the 8.8 with 4.10s

Well got more work done, I pulled my gear drawer out for the first time in 8 years. I'm going to used 40mm ammo cans in this build for gear storage, if anybody wants a semi functional draw let me know

But pulled the tire carrier, not going to need that, then removed the tailgate, need to sandblast that, once the pressure washer sandblast attachment shows up.
    Got around to pulling out the the 8.8, then balanced the jeep up on some jackstands and did the frame cut.

Time to get the new leaf spring mounts on the new frame and roll the frame in. Just need to get some shackles.
    Then its till be time to start cutting out the floor pan in the back.

If anybody need a rear TJ floor let me know. This one isn't bad.

I'm getting there!
    I got the floor and fender cut out, I need to high up HF and get a few packs of spot well drills measured and marked the frame and got the ends squared up now to grind it down and put on the gussets to get the frame extension in!
    I got my measurements for the 14 gauge tread plate I'm going to used a tub armor / fill plate for the old wheel wells. I mocked up the YJ fender/tub section to give you guys and idea how much longer this will be. \
    Also took my pressure washer and a sewer jetter and washed out my frame so much rust came flying out. Also got my massive needle scaler of victory this thing just blows threw body panels....

Finally getting some work done, I cut out the old frame section up to the front LCA mount, got the new frame sections internal and externally sleeved.
    I also found the optimum amount of clamps needed to weld a frame... All of them.
    Not its time to get the frame extension in place and axle mounted.

Also what am I printing? I give you a hint its not a paper weight.

Thread Information