Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Can’t decide on a tire for my overland rig

Thread: Can’t decide on a tire for my overland rig

www.RalphsOffRoad.com RalphDogg's Avatar

Can’t decide on a tire for my overland rig

After a ton of internet research I’m still struggling on a tire for my Tracker. Originally I wanted the most aggressive tire that was street legal, plans have changed a bit and now I’m leaning towards more of an AT tire. I now want an AT tire because of the wear. I will be flat towing the Tracker behind my RV so I want something that will wear well since it will be towed around 3,000 miles every summer at around 70mph and I’ll probably put another 2,500 driving it to work. I’ve never been a fan of the BF Goodrich AT, so I’m leaning towards a Falken Wildpeak at3w. It’s priced right for a 30x9.5 and the reviews are fantastic. The Falken tires are $115 each with free shipping.

So who has some experience on AT tires? I have never owned an AT tire so I’m hoping for some feedback. Basically persuade me not to buy the Falken because I think I’m going to buy them.

Last edited by RalphDogg; 04-09-2018 at 08:25 PM.

I have general grabber AT2s on my tundra and XJ. I like them better than any other AT out there.

Boy Scout tent owner SteelCity311's Avatar
    I had a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers many moons ago on a full size Dodge Ram. They wore like iron. I was able to sell them used for a pretty penny with tons of tread left. They were fairly big and a LT tire that had a crazy high tread wear rating. Not sure if it would be the same for a smaller tire.

Other than that; I actually like the BFG’s for a daily driver(on our 4Runner now). Just ordered Duratracs for brother in laws jeep, so time will tell on those.
    We usually run Coopers on our work trucks and everyone loves them.

Web Wheeler!
    I had s set of cooper discover S/ T 's on my other jeep great tires great traction in rain or mud long treadlife too.
    98 xj 4.0 L aw4 231 30/825/355 warn t.case skid jcr stage one sliders rough country dana 30 diff skid rough stuff 8.25 diff cover front / rear hitches 3 inches with 31x10.50 A/T's

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I had a set of retreads that were a rip-off of the bfg all terrain that wore like iron and hooked fairly well. Had to rebalance them a few times but were overall pretty good (especially for the price). Truthfully they were some of the better tires I have ever bought and I just got them because I was poor and needed something to get me through. I know your probably looking for nicer options and probably wouldn’t consider retreads but they were honestly great. I would buy again without worrying but that’s me.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I like the flat tow setup you have on the tracker though. I have considered that for mine to get to and from the trails but it would just get towed by the first cop I passed (no registration, cut fenders, etc.).

Less posting, more wheeling!
    You don't hear much about these but the Goodyear Authority tire is an aggressive all terrain tire that looks like a M/T. I first came across them years back when they were released and stuck a set on my TJ. They excelled in everything and would not wear down. I then stuck a set on my XJ with the same results. Along came the 4runner and I slapped a set of 265's on it and they are taking everything I throw at em with little to no wear. They sling mud like a mudder, stick to the road, and handle snow like a pro. I have no complaints and will continue running them on whatever I buy cuz they work.

Oh yeah, they be cheap and I can get a discount on em.

Not my review but lots of good closeups:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...review.233752/
    "You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter"

The Goodyear Authority tire is a cool looking tread but I just ordered the General AT 2s that Dave recommended. They had a $70 mail in rebate, and were a bit cheaper than the Authority’s. I’m glad I asked cause I your input was just as good as my 2 hours of internet research. My boss actually has the General AT 2 tires on his Geo Tracker, I never even thought of buying them myself.
    Last edited by RalphDogg; 04-10-2018 at 06:23 PM.

I can’t run a recap behind my RV, it was too expensive to risk. I actually had 2 tire blowouts on the RV already and I’m extremely cautious with it. And those 6 tires were expensive... and I bumped up from the stock RV tire to a 14 ply ... ouch!
    Here she is towing my Cushman to Pymatuning, 37 ft with a 5,000 lb towing capacity. The damn frame is so long that I had to install Trail Gear limit straps on the suspension because it was flexing and breaking my Bilstein shocks every trip out of my neighborhood.
    Last edited by RalphDogg; 04-10-2018 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    I like the flat tow setup you have on the tracker though. I have considered that for mine to get to and from the trails but it would just get towed by the first cop I passed (no registration, cut fenders, etc.).
    Im not %100 on the legalities of the flat towing but I am wiring in the towed vehicle and I also bought this pretty trick safety brake away kit. If your towed vehicle detaches from the truck it tightens on this safety cable locking your brake pedal to the floor. There is a shear pin so the cable detaches and allowed your towed vehicle to stop.

The shear pin

This is the magic part, it allowed the cable to only pull one direction to keep the brake pedal engaged when pulled.

Just looped threw the brake pedal.

That is a really nice looking RV. Is it diesel or gas?

Keith, those retreads, kings super tire, import export, or somewhere else?

I'm looking at grabbers and dick cepeks currently because of the price, but if the retreads are cheaper, the ranger is only for play and hauling, I would consider them.

Thanks! It a V10 3 valve gas front engine, an F53 chassis. A Diesel engine usually changes to a pusher chassis with an allison transmission which bumpes the price up $10k on used most models. I sacrificed having the gasser and got into a lot newer motor home with only 20k miles for my budget.

Traveling with a motor home is the way to do it. An on board generator and everything you need to live right behind the steering wheel. Just pull into a truck stop and sleep for the night, then back on the road without leaving the vehicle.
    Last edited by RalphDogg; 04-11-2018 at 07:05 AM.

I have the 3V v10/torqueshift in my shop truck. It is a great drivetrain. I put the 5 star 87 octane tune on it and it hauls ass.

I have been thinking about a MotorHome or travel trailer in the next year or so and can’t decide which. What year is yours? How does it do in the hills?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by Revrico View Post
    Keith, those retreads, kings super tire, import export, or somewhere else?

I'm looking at grabbers and dick cepeks currently because of the price, but if the retreads are cheaper, the ranger is only for play and hauling, I would consider them.
    i got mine at kings. I believe Esseys on 51 has them too.

This is my second motor home. It’s always a tough decision to decide between trailer and motorhome, and I can’t tell you which one is better. My wife and I like the motorhome, I guess it’s more of a lifestyle. Other than a generator and the automatic leveling the two are pretty much the same. RVs have the same internal components refrigerators, air-conditioning units, plastic parts, and plumbing quality.

A good example is my motorhome is a 2006 with 20 K miles and it was $30,000. Buying a 2006 travel trailer around the same length would be around $15,000 or less. So you definitely get more with a travel trailer.

Any motorhome or camper pre-2005-ish is going to have ivory fixtures gold hardware and probably a bluish carpeting. Jumping up a few more years will give you a bit more modern look and is probably at least wired for television and radio.

Obviously a class C motorhome will give you more sleeping options with the mom’s attic, and I do think the class C hold their value a bit more then a class A. And I’ve noticed most people shoot for the 8.1 Chevy Workhorse chassis in the class As, but when you’re shopping around for mileage layout condition it’s hard to pick and choose everything. I’ve also seen a few 32 foot class As around with a 5.9 Cummins which would be pretty sweet. Insurance and plates are cheap on both, it’s not like ensuring and having plates on a 1 ton pick up. I’ve double checked and triple checked and I didn’t need any endorsements on my regular drivers license because the camper is under 25,000 GVW. So anyone can drive it.
    Last edited by RalphDogg; 04-12-2018 at 07:58 AM.

But to answer your question it’ll do about 45- 50 up the turnpike Hills towing or not towing and cruise 80 on straightaways. It’s slow and weighs 19,000 lbs. My first motorhome which was a 23ft 1985 class C, Chevy 350 would do 35-40 up hill and 65 on flats. But it had a 3 speed tranny which was its downfall.

The motorhome is great on long trips I took my whole family to Columbus and it was like we were all on a tour bus, everyone could eat sleep or go to the restroom while driving.
    Last edited by RalphDogg; 04-12-2018 at 07:59 AM.

Thread Information