Thread: Synthetic winch line

www.RalphsOffRoad.com RalphDogg's Avatar

Synthetic winch line

Even though I’ve never even used my steel winch cable I want to upgrade to a synthetic winch line. I know there are many pros to the synthetic winch line but my main benefit would be in weight reduction, which is a priority with a 96HP engine. Who has bought one? Who knows where I can get the best bang for my buck? And what size diameter should I run with a 6,000 lb winch?

I think 5/16 is standard on a 6,000 pound winch. You could use 3/8 but it would be overkill and you won’t get as much line on the winch. You would have to get a hawse fairlead made for winch rope, too. I would put a nylon webbing cover over the 20 or 30 feet closest to the hook.
    Last edited by DMG; 08-05-2018 at 07:04 PM.

PghOffRoad Regular
    Tractor supply sells synthetic winch line. Probably your best bet, price wise. I'm pretty sure you'll need a different drum for the line, too. I remember when warn used to sell conversation kits, they included a new drum. It had to do with heat dissapation and the difference in stress on the drum. Either way, it's worth doing some research.

I emailed JM Rigging supply with lots of questions. They seem to get tagged in a lot of pictures on Facebook with winch ropes. I would imagine they’re pricing is pretty high since everything is made in America but it never hurts to ask.
    Last edited by RalphDogg; 08-06-2018 at 03:00 PM.

You were correct DMG with the 5/16”

JM Rigging Did reply very quickly, although he wouldn’t tell me how UV protectant the synthetic line was. He wanted the winch brand and specifications the line was going on, to accurately match the line to the winch size. I still have yet to price it out on Amazon or other sites but I appreciate his quick response and accurate education on what I need. So I will probably end up just buying from JM rigging.

From JM Rigging.
    It takes 85 ft. of 5/16" i can supply that to you with a hook and stainless steel thimble for $161.63

Or you can jump up to 75ft. of 3/8" same as above for $228.67
    Either way it will have a 10ft. sliding sleeve on the eye end and a 5ft. red protective/warning sleeve on the drum end with the lug connection

I got my 5/16" Mile Marker at 4wheelonline. This synthetic rope is more than sufficient for my 2-door JK.

Thanks. I have a laundry list of stuff to do with this Tracker over the winter. I don’t think I can let it see road salt. I’ll have to bite the bullet and upgrade to the synthetic.

Thread Information