Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
And now a crane

Thread: And now a crane

Less posting, more wheeling!

And now a crane

Well a little craigslist search the other day brought me home a hydraulic boom crane for a truck bed. (For future M35a2 fun)
    A little rusty but a pressure wash and some paint and in the spring along with some new lines for one of the cylinders,
    and it will be up and running other than the ancient Tecumseh engine that was running the pump.
    Now its a vertical shaft and the engine looked to be about a 8hp there wasn't a data tag to I cant know for sure.( I've never seen a electric start motor less than 8hp atleast in vertical shaft)
    But I have a 12hp B&S with electric start, That I can put on it. It has a longer out put shaft than the tecumseh
    so it will right a littler higher in the mount enough room for a pulley for a alternator to run worklights on the boom and charge the battery.

Down side I would have to take apart the pump to put on a new belt and it would be a small belt.
    So I was thinking #35 roller chain to drive the alternator I have tons of sprockets and chain lasts forever, Now I haven't seen any applications where i've seen roller chain driving a alternator anybody think of any problems? Only thing I could think of is noise vs belt.

Pictures and drawing tomorrow must sleep.
    [I]"Its not a bondfire unless you can see if from space"[/I]\
    TJ now with the power of a 5.2L vs 2.5L get same gas mileage....crap.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Noise and no slip if the alternator fails is all I can think of.

Just use a link V-belt. You can change it without removing anything. I've seen them used on antique cars putting out a lot more than 8 hp.

Also, from my experience adding a bed crane to an M35A2, the deuce bed is thin and not overly reinforced. The beds were made for large bulky cargo that distributes weight, not a lot of weight in one location. I was getting bed deflection when I was using my small crane the few times I did, so I ended up making a leg to go under the bed in the location of the crane to transfer the weight to the ground.

Just some food for thought.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 12-21-2018 at 09:44 AM.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    Noise and no slip if the alternator fails is all I can think of.

Just use a link V-belt. You can change it without removing anything. I've seen them used on antique cars putting out a lot more than 8 hp.

Also, from my experience adding a bed crane to an M35A2, the deuce bed is thin and not overly reinforced. The beds were made for large bulky cargo that distributes weight, not a lot of weight in one location. I was getting bed deflection when I was using my small crane the few times I did, so I ended up making a leg to go under the bed in the location of the crane to transfer the weight to the ground.

Just some food for thought.
    I have tons of link belt, have link belt on my VW rabbit right now so it works, but it does slip. Now where the motor mount to the pump body there isn;t a seal so oil can works it way out and probably right onto the belt.
    So thats why I was thinking chain. As for the bed mount I would make subframe load it to the truck frame instead of just the bed and will probably add some drop legs.

Pictures Its a 1000lbs load bionic arm I plan to mount a set of LED light bars on each side of the arm that can pivot out as a light plant kind of deal.

Right off the old truck bed

Old Tecumseh engine

New Old B&S

Now being stored on trailer

Scissor lift on scissor lift action
    [I]"Its not a bondfire unless you can see if from space"[/I]\
    TJ now with the power of a 5.2L vs 2.5L get same gas mileage....crap.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Just build a saddle mount for the crane. Google knuckle boom crane on trailer and you will find what I'm talking about
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Nice crane. Can't wait to see the updates. Good luck!

Thread Information