Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Tell me I dont need a M35a2c... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me I dont need a M35a2c...

It’s only 100 miles. I would see if you can get it runnng there and go for it. Are there any PGHOR members in that area?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I vote drive it too. If it breaks you can get it towed, it would be a good roadkill road trip!

Drive it, video it and put it on YouTube. The worse it goes, the more views it will get.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    Drive it, video it and put it on YouTube. The worse it goes, the more views it will get.
    Yup do that! People doing stupid road trips in terrible unroadworthy vehicles make some of the best videos IMO. Sound will probably be a nightmare in that thing though.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Honestly I'd drive it. You break down then you need a tow. F throwing 1100 at it for no reason
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

I don’t know a lot about the M35 but I can fix most things and have a lot of tools. Some of you know the truck pretty well. Let’s make a project of getting it home. Who is in?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I don’t know a lot about the M35 but I can fix most things and have a lot of tools. Some of you know the truck pretty well. Let’s make a project of getting it home. Who is in?
    I’m in if its a weekend that I’m available. Anyone have a trans am to run blocker for this thing?

Less posting, more wheeling!
    It might end up at your shop Dave, its the almost half way point

Thought I do have all the fuel related parts that it could be other than the IP/hydraulic head,
    I have setup kits to do the FDC bypass, if there is fuel in the oil. and all the orings.
    Have a external 12v diesel fuel pump, and a 24v converter, slow blow fuses if its the fuse.
    All the filters, other than air. two 5 gallon pails of shell rotela.
    Extra set of batteries. A pair of belts.
    [I]"Its not a bondfire unless you can see if from space"[/I]\
    TJ now with the power of a 5.2L vs 2.5L get same gas mileage....crap.

You know I moved to mount Pleasant, Gabe? It can hang out at the shop for a bit, if needed.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I know very little about diesels and less about military trucks but, I’m fairly handy with a zip tie and my shit talk game is top notch! I can offer services like pointing at things in photos like I know what I’m talking about, looking for that tool you dropped into the engine bay and can’t find (10mm socket for sure), getting pizza delivered to the side of the road while we wrench, keeping the cooler stocked for when we need it, making a parts run, helping actually fix something (once you tell me what the hell im looking at on this weird machine with no spark plugs). I can also google the scenario of what happened and offer far fetched, non realistic and ineffective solutions to any problems we might have. I know your probably thinking to yourself right now “I’m not going to be able to afford this kind of expertise on this trip” but, I will offer my services free of charge!

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    If this was a government auction, then it has to be towed off site. Not allowed to drive it. I'm pretty sure flat towing it outside the gate would be allowed and driving from there, but I'm not sure if they would let you just drag it out with a strap or chain. Don't forget to get insurance on it if you're some how driving it home.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Depends on the location and auction if you can drive it off site from an auction. All of ours you were allowed to drive off, but many you can't.

We did make sure we had insurance first. Simple call to my insurance broker with the vin and we had insurance. Wouldn't drive it without.

I've had more than 13k on my trailer before and it wasn't bad, legal to 12k though. The problem is size, only so much deck and the big truck is going to take up most of it. Top heavy too.

If you drive it and get caught, you pay tow bill and a ticket (unless you get lucky with the cop).
    You break down, you pay tow bill and good chance a ticket too.
    You drive it and no problems you saved a bunch of money.

I've always taken the risk and gotten lucky. Always had a backup plan for a tow if needed. Brother in-law had a tractor trailer with a good trailer that would work. These trucks are pretty durable and if you can get them running, moving and stopping, they tend to stay that way. At least for 100 miles.

Can try these guys, friends of mine. Doubt they would be any cheaper but they can do it. Moore's Auto Wrecking

245 Mccleary Rd, Hookstown, PA 15050

• (724) 495-7371

Trail Leader
    If it's in Windber, I'm pretty close, probably 10 or so miles away. Sam from Big Rubbers is even closer to me than that, i'm guessing less than 5 miles.
    99 TJ
    11 Ram 1500

You know I moved to mount Pleasant, Gabe? It can hang out at the shop for a bit, if needed.
    Dave, I know thats why I said its that half way point.

I already called state farm.

As for driving it off, I called the contact and he said it would be fine to drive it off if I got it started.

Still need to call some more haulers to have in the back pocket incase it goes kaboom on the way back.

Hardest part is going to be getting my buddy Joe awake Wednesday at 05:30 so we can be down there when they open.
    That and having little to no heat in the jeep. Keep on thinking about the heater core but never do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meeke View Post
    If it's in Windber, I'm pretty close, probably 10 or so miles away. Sam from Big Rubbers is even closer to me than that, i'm guessing less than 5 miles.
    I'll let everybody know if they hijinks require a hand.

Or I would be driving it back tomorrow if state farm hadn't called be back saying....

"that's a military truck!"
    'I know I told you and send you a picture'
    "military trucks need to be on commercial policy's!"
    'why didn't you tell me that when I called you can gave you all the information'
    "oh we [implied]just pulled some number our of our ass[/implied] and didn't actually look at any the information for a week till we entered it in a second ago"
    'so what now!?!'
    "oh we sent in on to commercial they will get back to you in 5-7 business days"
    'you do know I was going to drive this back home tomorrow when I called last week how do I drive it without insurance?'
    "Yes that's why I called you back it would be illegal to drive it, but [actually said] just hope you don't get pulled over, and explain the situation if you do[actually said]"\

Well that and the fact my buddy backed out to go see a girl about a camera, and I found a guy that will haul it for $350 so....
    Still going to put a gopro on my hat so I can get video of my crazy songs about the wall, mexico, and the taco bell dog.
    Last edited by DeathBlade556; 01-29-2019 at 10:40 PM.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Damn I would be pissed at State Farm for that one! I would bet that’s an issue with your agent not State Farm but who knows. Are there any loopholes like registering it antique or as an RV to avoid commercial insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Damn I would be pissed at State Farm for that one! I would bet that’s an issue with your agent not State Farm but who knows. Are there any loopholes like registering it antique or as an RV to avoid commercial insurance?
    I could register it as a antique but that mean I cant haul things with it and drive it 1 day per week.

I had antique insurance on mine from Hagerty, and State Farm does have antique vehicles policies. I actually switched my antique CJ5 policy from Hagerty to State Farm because the coverage is the same but cheaper with State Farm. State Farm does require pictures so they can see it's not a turd.

I just messaged some people I know with M35A2s and here's some info:

One guy with a deuce has Safeco insurance. About $300 a year he says. No restrictions.

Two guys both have State Farm antique policies ($5-$10 a month) and they said if you want to speak with a State Farm agent who knows how to deal with military trucks call Lisa Doria in Rostraver.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 01-30-2019 at 10:32 AM.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I have Haggerty. Deuce is insured full coverage good insurance levels no deductible for about $150 a year. I have 3 vehicles on the policy, it just went up from $333 to $360 a year. Didn't ask for pictures of the last one I added. M-37.

PghOffRoad Regular
    I don't get on here too much, so I just saw this. Congrats on the new toy!

If you do decide to drive it, don't do what I did.. Make sure you at least have enough fuel to make it to a station to fill up..

As for insurance, I had Allstate until I switched to antique registration and they recommended Hagerty. Neither one considered it commercial as far as I know.

I'm looking forward to more pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade556 View Post
    this is where you tell me I dont need it.
    Almost forgot: You don't need it. Haha
    90 YJ with some stuff..
    66 M35A2

Well I should have more pictures tomorrow, going to pick it up at 10am. Then a two hour trip back home. Then a wait for the SF-97

Well It was a 12 hour day today, but I have it at my storage yard. There was some digging going on on my road so we had to stash it there.

Many many thanks to Dillon and his wrecker!

But left my place at 08:00 got there at 10:15 and signed for it and went back to the lot, and it looked great! Had almost new 9.00-20's, some nice bench seat out of I'm guessing a ford truck, found some bows and a softtop in the bed under ice/snow, a bunch of TM's under the seat along with some test light. Awesome!
    I started digging it out, popped hood all stock, They had some external lights and I see they cut out a 12v battery isolator/spliter setup, so I'll have to bypass that.
    Threw some group 31's in the box, had a few extra battery wires but she cranks and pops with starting fluid, actually has the cold weather ether setup already.
    But we didn't get her running, we cracking the bleeders and fuel there, but none at the injectors lines so there is something screwy in the HH or stop cable all filters had fuel, tank pump runs and pumps, tank was completely full actually.
    So Dillon yanked her out after beating the parking brake free. Add one very heavy tow bar, and away we go! Got some fuel, put 18.8 in my 19gal tank on my jeep on the way back.
    Then got stuck in traffic on rt22 after there was a bad accident a few miles ahead so hurrah detours. Some cellphone charging, then a time later...

Where there! but the road is a sheet of ice. Que a steelsoldiers rendition of deuces on ice: the musical extravaganza!
    Then there was some tire chains, a sharp turn, a crane, a jeep and some strap, night fall, sliding, spinning, then a torture test of a smittybuiltt 8000lb winch to pull it the last 200 feet.

Finally spot at 18:45
    But here she is! I'm actually thinking of keeping it red for a while and just get rid of the decals. I'll grab some more pictures off my gopro in a minute.

Well I liked the red paint job but need to remove the decals so I tried to take off one of the door decals, with a heatgun and plastic scrapper, but ended up taking off the paint.
    so now I have to get out my vinyl cutter and make some crazy decal to cover the missing paint.
    Maybe a "sharknado defense command" or "MPG reduction force: for every gallon your prius doesn't use we use three"

As for recoveries, Now where near down pat, Dillion has it down pat, I have follow with flashers on down pat. (Dillon was the guy who towed it with his wrecker)

Well I started shoveling the snow out of the bed and found a spare 9.00-20 NDT! and a extra mudder on a 16.5 rim from a cucv probably that I'll have to get rid of. But I also found under the snow a canvas top and full set of bows!

As for the engine I checked the filters, they where good, tank pump shoots diesel like a fire hose.
    So I pulled the center plug on the HH and put in 1/4" socket extension in it and it lifts when I bump the starter, so the pin is free, and fuel pukes out when I cranked it with the tank pump on.
    So I though maybe fuel rod? Looking at the IP I see the FDC was bypassed army style and had a tag wired toone of the fitting from toolee army depot form 1993 so I guess that is when the FDC bypass was done.
    The fuel screw cover is still tie wired on so I hope they adjusted the fuel, I'm going to hook up a pyro meter and check my EGT's anyway so I'll know soon.

I also saw somebody cut a IP access into the side of the louvers on the fender, so they could bend them down and access the shutoff rod, their also sharp so I got more than a few nicks over the course of the day.
    I opened the side plate and there wasn't a gasket on the rod cover, so I guess they probably thought it was a sticking fuel rod first and tired that, then got fed up and just got a new LMTV(atleast thats what the depot mechanic said) I see it was inspected till april of 2018.

Well the lever moved easy but I pulled it anyway and the shutoff pin covered in crud, it moved but I cleaned it anyway , sprayed some lube in there and the FDC so see if was just hanging from friction.

That didn't work.

So some time later of bumping the starter and spinning the drive shaft Ujoint with a wrench the red hydraulic head removal line appears. Then I had a time getting the injectors lines off, let me tell you that they did not want to come out. I couldn't get the rear most one off so I had to take it off with the HH, I pulled the HH off and there was the problem! Where is the the spider clip and button from the bottom of the fuel rod?

Thankfully they had fell into spot in the IP that didn't damage anything gladly and didn't all all the way down into the crankcase. So I fished the button out with my leatherman it looks good no marks, but the spider clip is missing a clip leg. Need to find one of my dozen magnetic pickup tools where ever they may be. And find that last bit of the clip.

Now I need to order the clip, there is also some wear on the cup side of the button should I replace it?

But after I still had some daylight and it was getting warmer so I pulled all the remaining wires from the 12v system that they cut out and the remaining wire and conduit from the generator that they had mounted under the bed, With all the snow out I found the bed is already coated in bed liner, so thats something I dont need to do.
    Last edited by DeathBlade556; 02-04-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Congrats, I think? Reading your posts is quite challenging.

I copy pasted by post from steelsoldiers refencing post that dont exist here, lol. I edited my last post for clarity my sleep deprived mind forget the nuances of adjective and pronouns.

Also pictures.

Comparison 2000 Jeep vs 1969 Jeep

Salty jeep

Seems I already have a cold start ether system.

Too many snipped wire that go nowhere so I took them all out.

They cut a viewing slot into the inner fender to get at the IP

They did add a muffler for some hearing protection.

Missing the part that goes on the bottom of this.

Last army rebuild where they did the Fuel Density Compensator bypass for diesel only use.

Also had a clunking sound this morning. Stupid bar pin broke.

Needed to get to work so some quick drilling and grinding.

Bar Pin Eliminated...

Thread Information