Thread: M35a2 build thread!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

M35a2 build thread!

Well time to start my M35a2c build thread!

Were I'm going with this is make work/play rig, move my skidsteer, move some steel to weld up hedge hogs to keep people/ATV's/UTV's and possibly from the tracks I saw the other day D9 cataplliers and or Tanks off my property. I've got it registered as a class 7 so max 21,000 gvwr, I'm going to be hauling usually less than a ton or bulky things. I'm planing on singling out the rear axle once I get some M35a2 front springs.
    Currently I have near new 9.00-20's on it but once I get some new rims I'll run either 11.00-20 G177 tires or 395/85r20's which ever I find cheapest first for a bit higher speed.
    This is an example of what I want to run in the end.

I have a smaller 1500lbs at max extension knuckle boom crane but I'm going to increase the system pressure to 2000psi from 1400psi and run a set of extra group 31 batteries and a 24v electric power pack to not need the engine running for a pto pump. Currently the boom used a 5 to 8 hp gas engine with a set of spool valves I'm converting it to remote control with solenoid valves. I've got the solenoid valves, power pack, and manifold in the mail today. Right next to it I'll be mounting my engine welder a lincoln weldnpower 225. now I need to find a used crane remote for a crane with dual hoists. If anybody has a hold crane remove anything like below let me know.

Here is the boom I'll be mounting.

For mounting I'm planning on mounting the boom 16" from the top of the bed and 24" from the side rail, it will give me a good spot to mount a sub frame under the bed to tie into the frame and install a hydraulic drop leg.
    Now with the crane at that position and at max extension I have 125" of swing so doing the math I'll have about 100" of swing on the driver side and 50" in the passenger side but will be 3" short of the rear of the bed.
    Now the boom does come with a slide in manual extension will give me another 30". To the right of the crane I'll be mounting my welder which had a 24" by 50" foot print. I'll be building a mount to park the crane over the welder and to attach the spare tire to it. I'll be mounting a jobsite toolbox in the stock spare position.

Engine wise I have a pyrometer coming. And I got spin on oil filter set, and a set of mounts for spin on water fuel separator which I'll mount near the tank with a baldwin BL1258 which is a 10micron instead of the stock 30micron I'll also be replacing the old hoses and copper lines, probably with 3/8" hydraulic hoses. I'll also replace the cartridge fuel filters with a single CAT 1R-0750 which will filter the fuel to 2 micron instead of the stock 10/6 micron. I also grabbbed a couple sets of cheap LED headlights off ebay for the truck and TJ, and LED bulbs for all the markers and signals, you can barely see some of the stock bulbs at first I thought I might of had some blackout lights going.
    Last edited by DeathBlade556; 03-08-2019 at 12:09 PM.
    [I]"Its not a bondfire unless you can see if from space"[/I]\
    TJ now with the power of a 5.2L vs 2.5L get same gas mileage....crap.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    I have the drawing to make that spin on engine oil filter adapter if you want to return the set you bought. If you still have access to a lathe and a mill you can make them pretty easily.
    63 CJ5 "M38A1"
    66 M416 Trailer
    90 Chevy Suburban 1500
    96 BMW R1100GS
    16 Suzuki KingQuad 750

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    I have the drawing to make that spin on engine oil filter adapter if you want to return the set you bought. If you still have access to a lathe and a mill you can make them pretty easily.
    Thanks, I got them for $150 with the filters so not to bad, Need to measure the lines, then run over to rural king and get some hydraulic hoses for the fuel.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I have a few of the aluminum filter bases I made here, started on the hold down conversion bolt part but never finished a run of them. Made 1 for my truck and got sidetracked. Had material to make bout half dozen. Probably should finish those up one day.

Cool project. Looking forward to seeing more updates and pictures. Good luck!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Well I grabbed that parts to make a power bleeder and have a gallon of dot5 in the mail. So I'll power bleed the brake this weekend if this cold lets me stop coughing for 5 minutes.

Also drilled and tapped a 8ball for a shift knob. I putting the soft top on it the other day and found one of the tubes for the bows was crushed so I'll have to cut that open and hammer/bend it back to shape.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    I did the remote brake fluid reservoir mod. That was easy and cheap. Just be careful hooking a pressure bleeder to it (if you install one). I gave it a few too many pumps and blew the lid off the reservoir! Big mess.
    63 CJ5 "M38A1"
    66 M416 Trailer
    90 Chevy Suburban 1500
    96 BMW R1100GS
    16 Suzuki KingQuad 750

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I have a little 16oz tank I'll be using as the remote reservoir, I need to find another for the second circuit when I do the hydromax brake cyclinder swap. Single circuit brakes give me the heebie-jeebies in a 13,000lbs truck

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Well I went and did some work on it today, I put on a big shit boot and a 8 ball shifter.

I got some new pull cord tank drain valves in from amazon while I was down there so I'll install next time ,

did a oil change then installed the spin on oil filters, 5 and 3/4 gallons of rotella 15-45 for one oil change.........

Then I swapped all the bulbs for signal LED lights so much brighter other than the black out lights I didnt put a bulb in those slots, I then swapped in some LED headlights.

First picture is stock bulbs, second it LED

I got two different styles of LED bulb I ended up using the short style even though bulb length wasn't a problem, the short ones had more LED pointing forward.

I didn't end up keeping a bulb in the blackout light slot I needed the bulbs for the rear lights

Cheapest $42 LED headlights on ebay what said they could run 10-30v, I checked them on my bench power supply and they run fine on 24v,

Found out that they do make or made anyway a orange-ishclear dot 5 fluid, I thought they were all purple. I thought they had put dot3 in but I put it in water and shook, and it separated right out, who knew.

Then I pulled it around the lot, and promptly backed into a tree, No damage, but It shows I need a reverse camera/GPS/radio doohickey. Then ripped the funky cargo boxes out of the bed.

Diesel vs Diesel I don't know who would win.... I dont even know what the completion would be.....

While underneath it found the copper fuel line between the first filter and booster pump was crimped I was wondering how it was even getting fuel. So new fuel line and filters is next on the agenda.
    Followed by LED light strip for the gauges, and a limit switch for a reverse switch.

And for your viewing pleasure, 3d printed battery holders for my gun cabinet.

Thread Information