Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

M35a2 build thread! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: M35a2 build thread!

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    You have a lot of work ahead of you. Keep posting! I enjoy your ramblings.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    You have a lot of work ahead of you. Keep posting! I enjoy your ramblings.
    I do have alot of work to do, before I even do the work I have to do more work to build a gantry crane.
    I might cheap out and go to my property and cut down some 8" trees and make the gantry out of logs,
    or I can find some old bent pallet racking and make it out of that.
    [I]"Its not a bondfire unless you can see if from space"[/I]\
    TJ now with the power of a 5.2L vs 2.5L get same gas mileage....crap.

I'm debating what type of bolts to get for frame attachment. I can get a set of four 5/8 grade 5 square u-bolts or I can get sections of 3/4 grade 5 or 8 all thread and cut steel base plates for under the frame out of some 1/2 plate.

I got a larger 24v pump in, the pump I had on my shelves, only was good for 2.1gpm the one I just got in should be good for 5gpm so I should be able to run it at about 3/4 of its rated speed on the electric system.
    I also got in the 5/8" u-bolts and the hydro-max brake booster and master in. I have a remote reservoir coming in as.

Now its time to build a temporary gantry crane to hoist off the bed, I'm thinking of making the beam out of two or three 2"x12"s bolted together with 4x4"s legs.
    Looks like a 2x12 can support 2100lbs each on a 10-12ft span with a .3" deflection so the main beam should be good for the 2098lbs of the crane.

Last edited by DeathBlade556; 02-05-2020 at 11:30 PM.

Well yesterday was nice out so I got a lot done!

I was originally going to remove the service crane then move the bed back, and use a gantry crane to position the knuckle boom.

But when I was taking off my spare mount and tool box I remembered I had a bunch holes in the bed from the tank and pump, so I decided to cut the front instead of the rear.

That means I could use the service crane to move the knuckle boom, So I cut the front of the bed and pulled that of I then had to remove the out riggers from the knuckle boom since I need to fix the hard lines on them.\
    So three hours of drilling and burning off stripped and broken bolts I had the out riggers off, and the strange metric oring hydraulic lines, those are getting changed out to sae or npt fittings as soon as I can find a adapter.

So it was 10pm and pitch black so why not grabbed a headlight and hoisted the crane down to the frame.

Houston the crane has landed!

Now I need to square it up I'm alittle off my marks from it being dark out. I'll need to put some angle iron supports together for the bottom of the frame to spread out the pressure from the u-bolts.

Then its to make a big surplus center order for 1/2 and 3/8" hydraulic hoses.

As for the pump I'm debating to use a single stage gear pump or a two stage pump for a wood splitter, the single stage I can size to the max flow of 9gpm (looking at main and return hoses 20mm and 45mm, I dont know if the manual was correct maybe they meant 19gpm) or I can get the two stage which pumps out 12-30gpm at low pressure 650 to 1000psi but switches to high pressure 2900psi at 3gpm.

More pictures soon,

I got the crane bolted down but the rear ubolts would interfere with the air tanks, but I found the mounts match up with the old bed mounts so I'm going to gusset that mount up and put in a 3/4" gr8 bolts in there instead of the ubolts.

Now I'm welding the front of the bed back on. so I can get the old crane unbolted and I can start taking a sledge hammer to the bed to straighten out where the crane was.

I also rigged up a temp hydraulic pump and the found the valves all leak enough, and they there are a few crushed hardlines that I didn't see.
    So I'm going to a 5 station solenoid block, with a wireless remote I got for the old crane and a backup wire remote station. I'm also going to remove the strange britsh/metric flat face hydraulic fittings from the hard lines and I'll tig weld on some 3/8" nps swivels, so I can use cheap tractor store hoses if I have to fix anything.

Now I'm debating about my hydaulic pump again, I was going to put a 12hp gas motor under the bed and would run the crane for extended periods, and a 24v forklift hydraulic pump to run it for short lifts. Now I'm thinking of keeping the truck 6x6 instead of going 4x4 which would mean I will need to find another M35a3 wheel and bead lock along with more brake rotors and calipers, which are all going to be expensive. Or and can trade the M35a3 wheels for alumnium MRAP wheels and get adapters.

Down side is staying 6x6 I have no room for the gas powered pump and I would need to use a pto pump so I would need to get a spicer pto and mount that to the transmission.

What made you change your mind about going 4x4?

What made you change your mind about going 4x4?
    I my cousin stopped by to check the progress and he got me thinking about the title saying it has 3 axles, and the next inspection.
    Now I know the axle is more than rated for what ever I could put in the bed, but I started thinking about traction, etc
    I hate when I start second guessing my self. Kind of still debating the 4x4 or 6x6 I'm still going back and forth. After unmounting and mounting these M35A3 wheels,
    I know I'll be looking for a set of MRAP wheel in the future, instead of these M35A3 wheels.
    The bead locks you need to hold the tires to the rims are a absoult pain, plus the alumnium Mrap wheels are 60lbs lighter each only about 250lbs total but 250 is 250.

Well I've got some more work done, not nearly as much as I wanted cant get brake parts with a quarantine going on....
    But I've
    • Tore down the front hubs to start the disc brake swap
    • Got the knuckle boots replaced
    • Found a dual vbelt hydraulic pump instead of the engine powered pump
    • Got a 12v 10si alternator then a 24v 70amp 21si alternator with a 3 grove pulley to replace the stock military alternator
    • Unfolded the crane with the help of a high lift jack and a port a power
    • Painted it OD green
    • Brazed and welded some hydraulic fittings, still have 2 hard lines to braze once I can unfold the crane all the way.
    • Bought all the hydraulic hoses at rural king
    • Went shooting cool guns with the guys
    • Started switching over the M35a3 wheel to MRAP large bore schrader valves
    • Bored and milled the all the rotors
    • Turned the front hubs, still need to turn the rears once I pull the rear axle.
    • Ordered a remote reservoir hydromax master cylinder, that rock auto has cancel 3 time on me then immediately afterword alerted me was back in stock...
    • Biding on a cummins 12v from a F700 with a eaton 5speed on it, hope I win it. So if the multifuel engine pisses me off to much I'll swap it for the 5.9 I'll loose 500lbs and gain 84hp and 200ftlbs of torque!

Pictures in no real order.

The army knows how to take care of there spindles....

Debating how to install this hydraulic pump

All the mounting points in the picture are attached to the water pump other than the bottom alternator mount, so no idea how to mount it and two alternators in there.

I forgot how nice brazing is in some cases

Half way deployed

Painted and some of the lines installed. need to get another 120" for the shoulder cylinder

Getting this elbow cylinder in was hell!

Goober welding hard lines, hope they dont leak, only had helium left, since I ran out of argon and co2

New air filter I need to weld up a fender mounted air box for it.

Shooting with the guys legos are awesome

$3 per shell but so many choices....

Shouldering a suppresed M110 is hard

Skeet

Posing with a arm full of tax stamps

Getting schooled in tearing down a M249
    Last edited by DeathBlade556; 06-02-2020 at 06:24 PM.

Where were you improperly social distancing while shooting tax stamps?!
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Where were you improperly social distancing while shooting tax stamps?!
    Hell no, we had 60 guys dumping lead memorial day

Was that at your property in Portersville, Gabe?

Anyone need some waste oil? I have some in Mt Pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post

Yep, had a bunch of guys up for memorial day, How much oil it is?

I have one barrel and maybe ow where 3 more are.

I won that P-pump 5.9 with the eaton 5 speed, now its from a F700 so its going to be a direct drive so Ill have to find the FSO overdrive gears.
    And I need to debate whether or not to used the lift pump on the engine or to use the intank 24v lift pump. Also it has a driverside starter which might be problematic
    with the power steering and air pumps.

Been doing some line routing on the crane, I had ordered some hose routing clamps from surplus center and it said it was delivered, I look around no box!
    Thought the shitbag neighborhood kids stole it. Call ups, then I really look at the tracking, seems I used autocomplete to fill in the shipping and it went to the mail room at work...

Pictures of the 5.9, the big radiator that came with it that is too big for the m35a2 by a huge margin, the 24v starter I just got, and two new funs a kektec cp33 and a stainless glock, an pictures in no order what so ever.

Last edited by DeathBlade556; 06-22-2020 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade556 View Post
    Well I did some math today, and I'll have to cut the bed down 36" to 9 feet for it to look right but if I take but the bucket off the skid steer it will fit easy and I'll have room along the side to hold it and some gear so I'll have to live with a 9ft bed.

Now the crane is only ~23" deep so If I leave a 26" space for some room for wrenching (the room needed to swing the boom is only 480mm so about 19 inches. I can cut down the bed and move it forward about 10" to a foot", so I can do a little trim to the end of the frame to allow more room for my dump bed hardware.

Hopefully all the valves are good on the crane, if not, I do have a wireless crane remote I got for the small crane and I have five 24v solenoid valves and manifold blocks, that I got for another crane project that are siting on the shelf.

Once I pull the mid axle I'll have 48" on both sides, one side for my under bed tool box and the other for a 24v forklift hydraulic pump for short runs and for a 12hp gas engine/pump for longer run times. I know it would be a pain to run the plumbing for both pumps but I often use my crane to lift small 1000lb parts and materials around when I have the truck parked. I should be able to fit in a extra set of 24v batteries for more run time, I also found a 150amp leece neville bus alternator I got for another project when I was digging around the basement this morning, so nice charging upgrade.

Once the crane is on the frame it will be about 19" taller than the cab or about 9 feet and some inches from the ground so not to bad it will be higher once I get the 395 tires on but only a few more inches.

Now to find some 16-18" pieces of 3/4" all thread and make some flanges to hold the crane to the frame along with a couple frame stiffeners/cross members

And to design and build a large gantry crane to lift the bed/frame up for the axle pull, and to move the Hiab crane for install.
    Atleast I have the little crane to help me start building that.

Got around to unboxing the rotors time to clean up the insides and to turn down the hubs a few thousands.

Pictures are worth some words

Your paint drawings have improved massively.

Well I'm looking for a MT643 allison and a eaton 3A65 auxiliary transmission to go with the 5.9, So I'll keep the multifuel for now since I doubt the ability of the spicer transmission in the deuce to hold up the the 12 valve.

And I've got some work done on the crane but not nearly enough.
    I've welded twice a box, made and remade it so that can hold the 24v pump and all the solenoids, plumbing and wiring in the space of the cranes old manual valves was a pain.

And I got my 24v pump hooked up and its way to low of a GPM to run this even semi normally it takes over a minute to do 180 degrees unloaded. The arm functions seem alright other than the shoulder which is slow.
    The 24v pump should be putting out 3.5gpm so half of rated flow but is running not even a quarter of rated speed at zero load so the 24v pump might need to be rebuilt or replaced.

So I'm going to have to hook up a engine powered pump somewhere either PTO or the dual vbelt pump I have which is another problem, mounting it to the multifuel engine.

Also the chinese radio remote I have while it works, and I'm sure it would be better driving a electric actuator or motor, has something to desired when running hydraulics in the "scary time delayed unplanned movements category " So I'm wiring up a wired control box.

Please tell me I'm dumb for thinking this but....

I was browsing craigslist and came across a cheap Autocrane 8005 service truck crane in good condition, which is good for 8000lbs or 2400lbs @ 20ft straight. It has a out power out to 16ft with a manual extension to 20ft and it has a winch. Its 12ft long, 20" wide and 44" tall. And it weight 1600lbs and has manual drop legs

My Haib 650 is good for 2650lbs @ 16ft (1200kgs@5m) straight out which is powered extension, and a maximum of one manual extension to 22ft (7m) which can lift 1433lbs (650kgs) that extension which I don't have I originally thought with as a 650AW but its odd model of the 650A. I would have to make out of plate since this is a oddball size tube even for metric, I was cleaning to spray some paint inside the tube and all but one of the sliders were gone, and the last one is bend up and i'll have to torch it out.
    The Hiab is 76" tall, 90" wide and 30" deep it weights in at 2347lbs (1065kgs) and I found one of the drop legs has a bad built in valve so I'm going to have that rebuilt, and screw around with drop legs since they fold at a bad angle once I got the hoses on them. So I might have to weld up all the 1.5" positioning holes in the extension tubes and redrill them to get the legs a good storage position.

Now I already cut my bed down to 9feet to make room for the knuckle boom, behind the cab.
    So the service crane would stick over the bed by a foot on one end and a foot on the other, unless I get another bed.

The service crane would allow me to move the bed forward towards the cab, and leave space to make a mount for my 395 spare. It would allow me to cut off some rear frame.

And it would also not interfere with my automatic swap plan like the mounts for the Hiab do since i would have to take off the Hiab to move the transfer case back to make room for the MT643. And it would save me 747lbs in weight.

So Thoughts?

My head hurts after reading that.

My head hurts after reading that.
    My head hurts from writing it.

I just picked up a Allison MT643 from a 5.9, with a PTO and a large hydraulic pump, I just need to get a new shifter and modulator cable.

I wished I could have found a MT653 which has a 8:1 first.

Update?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade556 View Post
    My head hurts from writing it.

Your wallet will hurt from DOING it.
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

Thread Information