Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M35a2 build thread!

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Still less in that crane than most. Especially when cranes sell new anywhere between 10-30K for a service truck style crane.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Got a lot of work done in the last few days!

I wet blasted the entire truck down to the CARC, and shot on 4 gallons of majic olive drab, got one last coat to go if the weather allows.
    Its looking pretty good other than some media from the wet blast must have been in my trees and blew on it from the storm on satuday.

And once the paint drys the deuce gets to ear its keep I have to move 2 big piles of locust tree that came down on saturday to haul out, my chipper can only go to 1.5"-2" branches.
    [I]"Its not a bondfire unless you can see if from space"[/I]\
    TJ now with the power of a 5.2L vs 2.5L get same gas mileage....crap.

What is wet blasting ?

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    What is wet blasting ?
    Some day you will meet a nice lady and you will find out...
    98 Dodge Ram 1500
    2003 Jeep WJ 4 lift, 32 BFG Mud Terrains
    89 Suzuki Sidekick (fuel cell, long tube header, sawzaw lift kit, 31s, lots of rust and ITS FOR SALE!)
    2017 Suzuki DRZ400S
    1973 Bultaco Matador SD250

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Some day you will meet a nice lady and you will find out...
    Lol. Gabe must be one sick dude, doing it to a truck.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    What is wet blasting ?
    Its a sand blasting with water pressure instead of air pressure. You don't have dust concerns as its a wet process. I have a attachment you can use with very big pressure washers 4000+ 4gpm+,
    I have the new harbor freight 4400psi unit and its just enough pressure washer any smaller and it doesn't work it uses a siphon tube and a 0* nozzle to cause a suction that pulls media into the water at the nozzle.

Its cheaper to get a big pressure washer(upside you now have a big pressure washer) than a very big air compressor (unless you get a tow behind cheap at auction).
    It doesn't do as good of a job as the usual pressure pot blaster but, it does good in blowing of paint and rust, if you go slower it will go to bar sanded metal.
    Only down side it will flash rust if you dont blow it off but that is what leaf blowers are for.

I took about 7 bags of media to blast the deuce. But I did one wet when I forgot where I put the bucket when I was blasting, water lol.

Last edited by DeathBlade556; 07-01-2019 at 11:26 PM.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Well I got some paint on there, and it looks alot better in OD than chipped red and white! I still have to get the backup camera in, the second alternator for 12v for the crane and accessories.
    I started taking apart the troop rails I dont know if want to sand down the wood and hit it with oil or varish, or paint the wood? The metal post and alot of the trucks hinges, etc I'm going with gloss black, front bumper too. (every store has a can of rustoleom gloss black) so its a easy repaint of scratches etc.

Now I've got the crane mounted on the stand in the corner, and I need to weld up a subframe to tie into the truck frame, along with some jack legs made from 7000lb trailer jack legs.
    But I also want to mount my welder (Lincoln Weldnpower 225) on the same side of the bed, just under the crane arm I need the open area on the other side for my little skid steer and spare tire/ equipment.
    I've also got a line on some cheap 395/80r20 tires in goodyear MVT and Mrap wheels I'll have to machine adapters since no one has them cheap at the moment.
    So I'll be singling the truck out and going to a the long bed bobber earlier than I expected.

Now the welder weights ~520 lbs, and the crane weighs in at ~590lbs so total weight would be ~1200ish~ lbs
    Do you guys thing that is to much for one side of the bed?

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Weight will be fine with proper outriggers on a truck that size and if it stays tandem. You won't notice.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I welded up a subframe today, and got the welder up on the bed. Now I'm thinking how long to make the outriggers 2 feet? 4 feet?
    I dont have any tube that will telescope, so the outrigger will be a fixed length also they we come off with hitch pins and stow in the bed along side the crane.

As for the welder I'm debating on if I want to make a rolling cart that mounts under it, with wheel barrow size wheels, handles, etc.
    That will drop into some mounts on the bed that way I can just pull the mount pins and lift the welder off with the crane if I cant get the truck close enough for the weld leads
    Which wont happen much with how long these leads are. I'm half way tempted to cut the leads in hafl and maybe had a dinse twist connect so I down have to haul all that lead around. Plus it would alone me to pull the welder off when I need more bed space, but the welder is rather small its only a 225amp.

I had alot more plans to start fabbing up the mounts for the second alternator, but did nothing much else amazon did deliver my vac/boost gauge.
    I'll try to get that in tomorrow, along with something else before the next bunch of thunder storms come in.

Stupid rain.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    I think user TMAmerica on SteelSoliders was who I got my second alternator brackets from. Saved me a lot of work. Check it out. Not sure what alternator you're using though. I had a Standard Chevy laying around that was the right one for his brackets.

The troop seat boards are traditionally painted the same as the rest of the truck, but do as you wish. You're already deviating from the norm!

Sounds like you should keep the outriggers tighter to the truck rather than wider out. If they are made from a square tubing that is light enough that you can remove and stow them on the truck, then they probably won't stop a roll over situation from happening and you should keep them at the body edge or under it for transferring weight directly to the ground. Don't put yourself in any off camber loading situations.

For my home garage, I have two 25' welding leads I primarily use, then I have two 100' lead extensions. All are set up with quick twist connections. That way I'm not battling long lead piles all the time and I can reach anything in the garage or just outside in. If I need to go further down the driveway I hook up the extensions. That's how I would set up a mobile welder as well.
    Fun > rules.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I found a plan for a second alternator bracket on steel soldiers and did the layout and cut it out of 1/4 some this morning I'll weld it all together tomorrow.
    I have a single wire 10si 63 amp I had for my skid steer.

As for the out rigger tube I'm using some 2.5x2.5x.25 square with a triangulated piece of 2x3x.188 to from a right angle triangle 48"x16"

Already order the twist connect for the leads, only cost $7 a set for male/female the leads are only 50' but they are from a much bigger welder so they have to be 0/3.
    I'll just split them in half.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I well I need to make some more brackets I cut the ones for the outriggers too small....
    But I ended up taking measurements for the long bed bobber 4x4 what ever its called I cant use the extra pair of front springs I go with the rear most axle in the stock location
    so I started thinking, If I move the rear axle forward 12-16" I can put in a cross member with a carrier bearing and reuse the stock drive shaft I take the flanges off the mid axle
    And use some splined shaft turn on some threads for the flange nuts and then I can use the front springs, and not interfere with the crane mounts, and I have room for more air tanks for the harpoon gun, and still look like the deuce I posted in the first post!

Thread Information