Thread: 1996 bmw r1100gs

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar

1996 bmw r1100gs

Currently getting the bike ready to sell. Haven't really figured out my asking price yet but I figured I would list it and see if anyone wants to talk about it.

Working on posting pictures here.

Interested in trade for a Honda XR650L, Ninja 650R, or very similar bike to either of those.

I'm selling because I've gotten away from long adventure rides and I'm more interested in getting back on a dual sport or sport touring bike.

It's been a great bike for me. They made this one right, as it has required little more than standard maintenance to get it to 101k miles. The first owner purchased it in Florida. My friend who was the second owner flew down there to purchase the bike and ride it home. I bought it from my friend (who is a BMW/Mercedes car mechanic) in 2012 with about 60k miles on the odometer and I put the rest of the miles on with trips to Vermont, North Carolina, and lots of daily commuting.

It's a great bike that is super comfortable, smooth, can get you up to cruising speed quickly, and it can handle any turns you go for. The GS leaves other cruising bikes at the pavement for dirt roads and easy trails. Passengers are equally comfortable and the bike can carry a lot in the luggage or on the rear rack. The rear seat is removable to reveal a much larger rear cargo rack space.

1996 BMW R1100GS
    101k miles - regular Castrol/Rotella oil changes documented and Royal Purple gear oil in the transmission and final drive.
    Red and Black Factory Colors
    ABS Brakes
    Factory Tubeless Spoke Aluminum Wheels
    Corbin Front Seat and Passenger Seat with Back Rest
    Aluminum Lockable Side Luggage and Mounts (I can remove the stickers if you wish, or cover them with your own)
    Olin Adjustable Racing Suspension Front & Rear Rebuilt in 2017 by Ohlin Factory
    Handle Bar Risers
    Heated Grips
    12V Accessory/Charger Socket
    Handle Bar Phone Holder
    Touratech Transmission Support Brackets (keeps luggage loads off of transmission casing and transfers weight to frame)
    Front Shinko 705 Tire with low miles
    Rear Full Bore USA M40 Tire with REALLY low miles
    Small dent in right side of gas tank from leaning the bike against a truck bed during a unloading mishap, no impact on fuel tank performance

I have documented maintenance history from my ownership showing:
    - regular motor oil changes using Castrol or Rotella
    - regular transmission and final drive gear oil changes using Royal Purple
    - valve adjustment
    - starter rebuild
    - Ohlin suspension rebuild
    - new plugs, clutch cable, fuel filter, oil level sight glass, battery, front/rear brake pads, stainless front brake hose, fuel injector O-rings

To make the bike in tip top shape, the following is currently being done:
    - new final drive crown gear bearing and seal
    - 2 new trailing arm bushings
    - 2 new final drive pivot point needle bearings
    - 2 new head gaskets (and anything else I find that needs replacement)
    - valve adjustment

Also included are a battery tender, 2 new Bosch oil filters, 2 new BMW spark plugs, 1 spare oil level sight glass, 1 spare oil fill plug insert and O-rings, spare new clutch cable, spare used alternator belt, oil filter wrench, and the adapter to balance the rear wheel when replacing the tire so you can show up to the tire shop that doesn't have one and still get your tire balanced.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 03-13-2019 at 09:57 AM.
    63 CJ5 "M38A1"
    66 M416 Trailer
    90 Chevy Suburban 1500
    96 BMW R1100GS
    16 Suzuki KingQuad 750

Thread Information