Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "classic" plates

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! PatF10's Avatar

"classic" plates

So i have a few vehicles. Some may say too many. Anyhow I have two jeeps. One is a 74 Cj5. The other is a 88YJ. I keep good insurance on them and it adds up. My insurance agent suggested looking into classic plates and the insurance would drop significantly. Now the CJ5 is just kinda a cruise around jeep. The YJ is kinda the same but it gets wheeled.

Any reason to think id run into trouble having classic plates on them? Im not concerned with mileage restrictions.
    88YJ with some stuff
    74 cj5. 360 powered!
    F150 ecoboost.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    PA Fact SHeet: http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dv...ets/fs-ant.pdf

I don't know if there are any differences for the classic plate but I have an antique plate on my 63 CJ5 and 90 Suburban. Any vehicle I own that's over 25 years old is going to get an antique plate.

One time registration fee good for life and no initial or annual inspection. Scrape off your inspection stickers and enjoy a clear windshield.

Photos are no longer required with the application. You used to have to submit photos to the state showing a fairly original (at least on the outside) vehicle in restored or decent condition. They would reject you for a cracked windshield or a modern bull bar bumper. Not now!

You CAN drive it at night if it has adequate lighting.

You CAN drive it every day of the week as long as you're ready to say where the car show is that night or club event is that night. The rule says you can drive an antique to work once a week, to discourage daily driving an antique, but you have unlimited use if driving to a car show, club event, parade, whatever. I think an officer of the law would have to have a lot of free time and concern to track how many times a week he sees your antique on the road.

You CAN'T "haul cargo" according to the law, but my jeep's M416 trailer is a matching antique that will never be quested and my burb has pulled a small utility trailer around Westmoreland county without issue numerous times and I had a state trooper follow me more than once last year.

I think my antique insurance coverage with a full replacement value I chose is cheaper than a normal auto policy with minimum coverage.

I used to have Hagerty antique insurance and they required photos to verify condition is good like the state used to do and they wanted to confirm the vehicle is stored in a garage.

I currently have State Farm due to cheaper identical coverage, but they also require pictures. They rejected my burb because it is lifted and has rocker rust, so I have it on a normal vehicle policy now but I was told there is another local State Farm agent who will switch it to antique for me. I haven't bothered with it yet though. That agent put antique policies on a friend's deuce and a half and it is pretty rough.

The state also dropped the lame antique plate with a picture of a Model T on it and now it just says PA Antique on the left side of the plate. Much cleaner looking. Car guys were getting stickers made of their cars to cover the Model T and on my deuce and a half I spray painted a green star over it.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 04-19-2019 at 08:11 AM.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! PatF10's Avatar
    Maybe ill look into that for it. The big issue is that i have these vehicles that dont get used much but coverage is expensive. Antique may be the way to go, at least for the CJ5, The YJ is lifted a decent amount might be harder to get insured as an antique.

Thanks for the response
    88YJ with some stuff
    74 cj5. 360 powered!
    F150 ecoboost.

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    Antique plates here as well on my lifted 89 YJ and my 75 Monza, just regular liability insurance right now though I do plan to look into antique insurance eventually if I get around to it.

Btw - nothing I've read says you can't tow, the rule says you can't "haul" which to me means materials (ie even an ATV would be fine.

Yes, I think "haul" is more of a commercial term, to keep someone from slapping an antique plate on dump truck and delivering gravel as a business.

I don't expect to ever have an issue dragging my utility trailer to the scrap yard but I figured it was worth mentioning.
    Last edited by joshs1ofakindxj; 04-19-2019 at 08:15 AM.

They updated the form in June 2019.

https://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/d...ets/fs-ant.pdf

Interestingly, they changed the statement about hauling to say "...plates may not be displayed on a vehicle used to transport people or property."

Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    They updated the form in June 2019.

https://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/d...ets/fs-ant.pdf

Interestingly, they changed the statement about hauling to say "...plates may not be displayed on a vehicle used to transport people or property."
    I assume that means commercially or for profit...?

Less posting, more wheeling!
    I got pulled over by a nice cop leaving a car cruise a week or so ago, I had my new to me 395 tires in the back, told me I cant put anything in the bed of a classic or antique.
    I then reminded him that I have a normal class 6 registration, he gave me a 'woops guess I assumed that this was plated as a antique, and didn't actually look at your plate face'
    Then he went away. So I'm thinking its more of a which cop to you run across kind of thing.
    [I]"Its not a bondfire unless you can see if from space"[/I]\
    TJ now with the power of a 5.2L vs 2.5L get same gas mileage....crap.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathBlade556 View Post
    I got pulled over by a nice cop leaving a car cruise a week or so ago, I had my new to me 395 tires in the back, told me I cant put anything in the bed of a classic or antique.
    I then reminded him that I have a normal class 6 registration, he gave me a 'woops guess I assumed that this was plated as a antique, and didn't actually look at your plate face'
    Then he went away. So I'm thinking its more of a which cop to you run across kind of thing.

Typical cop. Doesn’t know the law and generally useless.

I will be putting the antique plate to the test over the next month or so as I use my Suburban to move from my new house to my old house. Wish me luck!

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Why are moving from your new house ?
    1998 GMC K2500 454 5 Speed
    Tow pig

1986 Reliant K
    Daily driver/Panty Dropper

1978 International Scout
    7 inches of lift 35x12.50x15 Maxxis Big Horns
    Aussie Locker front and rear

1974 International Scout
    3 inch rough country lift

1973 International Scout
    3 inch body lift 31x10.50x 15 Apache All terrains
    Western 7.5' snow plow

[B]
    Help keep four wheeling around get involved [SIZE=4][URL]http://www.nora-usa.com/[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Super Scout View Post
    Why are moving from your new house ?
    To test his antique plates, apparently.

Good catch. I almost moved into the wrong house!

Katey got chased down by a cop in Oakmont a few years back while driving the antique plated lifted '89 YJ (3.5" BDS springs & 1" BL, 35's, Genright front fenders, TJ 6" rear flares, no mudflaps) back before I scraped the expired sticker off the windshield. Once she pulled over & he was behind her he turned his lights off and pulled up along side & said (Nevermind, didn't see your antique plate at first).
    Can't say I ever had an antique plated truck and put anything in the bed - but I will soon since I just got a 85 K10 shortbed that will be getting an antique plate.
    Last edited by gonecheenin; 08-25-2019 at 08:44 AM.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    There is no real difference between classic and antique but years. Go with the antique plates. All of my old trucks have antique plates on them. My Nova has antique too.

I know of many tractor trailers running around with antique plates that regularly run around with loads. They are usually going to a show with antique equipment on the trailer. Claim it's not hauling, it's a complete display. I think that's bending the rules but haven't heard on anyone getting a big ticket out of it.

I always have stuff in the beds of my trucks. But it's not like I'm hauling tons of stone to a jobsite or anything.

Boy Scout tent owner SteelCity311's Avatar
    Ok; I’ve been waiting to get antique plates on my 1994. My question is; can I send in the application right now?? Being that 2019-1994= 25??? Or must I wait until 2020? Yeah, I could just wait for 2020 as it’s almost here, but my registration is just about due and didn’t want to pay for the rest of this year if I didn’t have to.

Application reads: “A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured more than 25 years prior to the current year which has been .....”

Anyone know?
    Thanks.

Could you use the build date on the door?

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCity311 View Post
    Ok; I’ve been waiting to get antique plates on my 1994. My question is; can I send in the application right now?? Being that 2019-1994= 25??? Or must I wait until 2020? Yeah, I could just wait for 2020 as it’s almost here, but my registration is just about due and didn’t want to pay for the rest of this year if I didn’t have to.

Application reads: “A motor vehicle, but not a reproduction thereof, manufactured more than 25 years prior to the current year which has been .....”

Anyone know?
    Thanks.
    I believe they go off of model year so a 1994 Jeep is considered 1994. I’ll warn you that the process takes about a month and it’s more than just registration, you get an antique title for the vehicle too.

But you can still drive it immediately with the temporary tag and registration you get from the notary.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I didn’t think you got a temp tag for an antique plate? I honestly don’t remember for sure, but I thought you had to wait for the state to send it?

I stand corrected!

I had to call Joe Fida for something and I asked. They said the antique tag does come from the state and there is no temporary tag given. They said current turn around time is 7-10 days, but they are one of the fast ones with a messenger service, no snail mail.

Boy Scout tent owner SteelCity311's Avatar
    Turn around time I am not concerned with as I have other vehicles to drive; just need to know if I can apply now or wait till 2020.
    And ironically build date on vin tag is 9/94

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCity311 View Post
    Turn around time I am not concerned with as I have other vehicles to drive; just need to know if I can apply now or wait till 2020.
    And ironically build date on vin tag is 9/94
    i would try it now. Worst they can say is no.

I was wondering what the punishment is for using an antique tag in an un-cool manner and I found it:

TITLE 67

CHAPTER 67. ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC VEHICLES

§ 67.8. Sanctions.

(a) Suspension and revocation. The Department may, after providing the opportunity for a hearing, suspend the classic or antique motor vehicle registration of a person who violates this chapter for a period of 1 month for a first violation and for a period of 3 months for a second or subsequent violation. The Department may revoke a classic or antique motor vehicle registration after providing the opportunity for a hearing when the Department finds, upon sufficient evidence, that the vehicle no longer qualifies for registration as a classic or antique motor vehicle.
    (b) Return of classic or antique registration cards and plates upon suspension or revocation. Suspensions and revocations shall take effect on the date ordered by the Department. Upon suspension or revocation of antique or classic registration, the registrant shall return his registration plate to the Department immediately, as required by section 1376 of the act (relating to surrender of registration plates and cards upon suspension). No refund will be given and no credit will be earned toward a registration plate subsequently issued for the vehicle.

Thread Information