Thread: TJ - Constant Dillema 33 vs 35

TJ - Constant Dillema 33 vs 35

Good Afternoon / Evening (Or whatever appropriate time zone you're in, unless its near me, then BE SAFE!)

I'm a friend of Beat's... been harassing him for a while, and finally I decided to join up on here and talk some Jeep / 4x4 stuffs. Anyways, to the dilemma!

So right now I've got a 4.2L I6 (bored out 4.0L I6) with stock geared tranny/transfer case. 3" (i can't remember 100%, might be 3.5") suspension lift (short arm).

I had to replace the rear axle, and am going to replace the front axle so I'm running Dana 44's both front / rear. I've been running 33's since I got the jeep and started modifying it, but not very happy with them.

Since I'm upgrading axles, it's the perfect time to go ahead and change gear ratio. If I go 5.13, theoretically it should have the same power with 33's as the stock tires. I'm trying to decide between staying 33's and going >5.13, or really dropping the ratio (possibly near the 6.00 ratio) and going to 35's.

1) How much modifying will I have to do to be able to lug some 35's under the jeep (01 TJ)?
    2) What experience do you have with TJ's and 35's? (Yours, your friends, your neighbor's co-worker's cousin's former roommate's 3rd fiance, etc)
    3) Suggestions that would be comparative to more power with the stock tires
    4) Tips and other things to look out for.

Thanks for any input ahead of time.

-EOD
    I'm not a mechanic, but I've watched a video of someone doing this at least 100x. I'm sure I got it, no problem! - Me every time I do something to my Jeep.

Hey all, figured I should do an update.

I've done a lot more research, and found that you can put 35's on a TJ with a 3-3.5" lift. Anyone got information for verification on this? For additional information, yes I'm going to tube fenders (Bring on the saw!)

Thanks

-EOD
    I'm not a mechanic, but I've watched a video of someone doing this at least 100x. I'm sure I got it, no problem! - Me every time I do something to my Jeep.

PghOffRoad Regular
    35s would be tight on my TJ with stock fenders. No way they wouldn't come in contract with the wheel wells. Plus, I'm thinking you'll need some spacers to not rub the frame when turning. In other words, it'll fit... Just not sure how functional it'll be.

I appreciate the feedback. For the interim (before i take up the rough task of frame replacement and upgrade to a 5.5" long arm lift kit) I know i'm going to be doing a ton of body modification. I've gott 33's on there right now, and have plenty of space. I think there's going to be a good bit of measuring before i make any jump, but 35's are definitely in my future. But, talking with a couple other's I often wheel with, I may look at making it an option to go 37s after a bit.

You got any suggestions for gear ratios for the front/rear differentials when it comes to those larger tire sizes? Well, or anything you learned the hard way? (I know i've learned a TON the hard way doing my jeep)

I would do 5.13s if you want to go to 37s. If you are willing to cut and use aftermarket wheels with the correct backspacing 35s will work with 3.5 inches of lift.

If you are going to long arm it, I would do the absolute minimum lift to get the correct angles on the arms and high line or trim the rest.

Hey DMG, I was thinking of 5.38 for 35/37s. And i'm absolutley ok with cutting, just gotta find out the right backspacing. Appreciate the input.

Not really following what you mean in the second part, can you elaborate?

PghOffRoad Regular
    He's recommending you get the lowest long arm lift possible to for your tires, so that it keeps your center of gravity lower and makes you more stable.

Exactly.

It will help with driveline and steering component angles as well.

Ahhh, sweet. Thanks for the intel. After talking with a few of my mechanic buddies, they've suggested staying that unless I want to upgrade my axles (due to excess stress from the additional weight) to shy away from the 37s. So I'll most likely stick with the 35s. (If I can figure out how to post pictures, I'll post up a pic of my current jeep setup)

Here's a list of stuff that I'm going to do (unless otherwise annotated):
    Dana 44 Front axle replacement (W/E-locker and either 5.29/5.38 R&P) **
    Matching R&P in the rear axle (Rear axle only has about 3k miles on it) **
    6 Slot SPOD
    Roll Cage Upgrade
    New Front Driveshaft
    New Hood Tie-Downs
    Tube Fender Flares (Front/Rear)
    Hood Louver
    Factor55 Fairlead

Can you think of anything I'm missing? (Tires and Wheels not included in this)

PghOffRoad Regular
    Do you have an SYE installed?

Yeah, well a Super-Short SYE, but an SYE nonetheless.

PghOffRoad Regular
    If you're doing new driveshafts and converting to a long arm, maybe consider a tummy tuck too.

A what?

Might have to test a few things out with the SYE speedo, because i'm getting massive fluctuation in speed while driving (i can be going 75, then 5, then 55, then who knows) and it bounces like a fiend. I've read a few people who have had similar issues. Gonna be a fun fix ><

Iirc, the speedo gear needs to be turned a specific way, depending on the tooth count of the speedo gear that is in there. If it isn’t just right, the teeth don’t engage properly and it starts to grind the teeth off and slip.

A tummy tuck raises the belly pan for better clearance and break over angle. Many long arm kits come with a different belly pan that the links attach to which gives it a tummy tuck or you can do it while you have it apart.
    Last edited by DMG; 09-15-2019 at 09:59 AM.

PghOffRoad Regular
    https://undercoverfab.com/home/451-4...acket_included

This is the tummy tuck I just got for my TJ.

First of all, that looks SEXY! I may just have to do that, though I'm going to look into a lot of different lift kits, but that is definitely going to be kept in mind. I saw one out there that is a 4-point and gets rid of the track bar for true vertical movement of the rear axle (supposedly). I saw a couple on 4wd.com that had the replacement belly pan, so I know what you mean. Kinda like how it would look, especially with the new frame (galvanized and painted or just rhino lined)

My SYE is similar to this:
    https://www.4wd.com/p/rugged-ridge-n...-BKMS-18676.72
    There's no actual teeth, just a magnetic reed. I'm going to double check its the right one before i do much diagnostics, but if it's this, the fix could be as cheap as an additional 1/8" washer (weird right?) I'll keep the forums posted, as I'm sure i'm not the only one who's had that problem.

Side note, still working on trying to find a way to host pictures. I think I found a website, now just waiting on approval. (Yay!)

-EOD

Many long arm kits come with their own belly pan so I would pick your long arm kit before ordering a belly pan.

Thread Information