Thread: Indoor range update

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!

Indoor range update

Anyone know anybody that designs/builds indoor shooting ranges?
    The sportmens club I belong to (Ambridge) is looking to update the indoor range so we can shoot FMJ.
    Will be stopping at a few local ranges, including Keystone Shooting Center, to see if they have any input/suggestions.
    ···╔════════╗
    ·█╢░░░░░░░░╟█
    ·._├────────┤_.
    ╘╕Θ║║║║║║║Θ╒╛
    ═══╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═══
    Hyper..... or, just call me Tim
    '13 Jeep JK Wrangler (his)
    '16 Jeep KL Cherokee Trailhawk (her's)

Jeep Ambassador to the FJORC

„ɹǝʇʇods ʎɯ ǝɯɐןq ˙˙˙˙sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı„

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Tim, what exactly need updated the old back stop plate or that bullet catch/sand box? I haven't been in ambridge sportsmans in ten year so something might have changed.
    I was making AR500 targets and catches or a while, What caliber do they want to go up to? Do they need a updated lead extraction and ventilation system?

Is just a back stop update? or a complete lighting, fan and extraction rebuild?
    If its just a update they can get a whole 8x20' sheets 5/8" AR500 from Ryerson or Oneal that at a 45* angle will take them to .30 cal FMJ and replace the sand box with foam rubber crumb, About 1 to 1 1/2 feet works well with a 1/4" steel catch box for splatter this doesn't need to be AR plate it can be A36 its catching jacket spall
    [I]"Its not a bondfire unless you can see if from space"[/I]\
    TJ now with the power of a 5.2L vs 2.5L get same gas mileage....crap.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Thanks for the info.
    They want to replace the backstop and possibly ventilation. Already did the lighting mid last year.
    There was talk of a system that angles low front to high back (opposite of what's there now) then spirals to catch the rounds at the top, then a ram to push it all out to a container.
    They did mention about doing away with the sand and using rubber mulch in the mean time.
    As for size rounds... right now it's pretty much any pistol round, as long as it isn't FMJ. Not sure that they'd want any rifle rounds other than .22, which is what the Youth Rifle League uses in there.

There's going to be a gun show/swap meet there, I believe in May sometime. I'll be sure to post here once a date is set.
    ···╔════════╗
    ·█╢░░░░░░░░╟█
    ·._├────────┤_.
    ╘╕Θ║║║║║║║Θ╒╛
    ═══╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═══

So there looking for a bullet trap with snail and plunger, plus ventilation, for those kind of systems you need to account for distance from firing line to impact point, angles.
    There is some not to hard engineering for those, but not trivial either.

I would probably recommend just adding in a new back plate 1/2 AR500 would be fine for anything handgun caliber for years of service,
    then a catch box and a foot of rubber. Tor a 8x20' sheet your looking at about 3300lbs my cost for a sheet last year was about $1.20 for AR500
    so its about $3900 for the back plate, once you start adding in the the snail and framework it goes up.

As for venting, there are regulations for air quality that need to be addressed, but it might be grandfathered in Economy for the current install but a new upgrade might put it under new regulations
    How many CFM, (usually draw air towards the target end of the range and feed in air from behind the benches. What filter to use a wet filter or not? electrostatic discharge and grounding for unburnt powder.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Thanks, I'll pass the info along at the next directors meeting in February (possibly at the next general meeting next week)

As for the gun show/swap meet.... (described as gun show, but many other items are usually sold... fishing/camping/hunting gear, game calls, jerky, etc...)

Saturday March 7th 2020

Ambridge Sportsmens Club
    2900 Ridge Road Extention
    Baden, PA 15005

9:00am - 4:00pm
    $5.00 admission (includes a raffle ticket for a pistol to yet be determined from Big Bucks Sports Shop)
    Vendor tables $10.00/table
    Food & refreshments available

PA Insta-Check on site

For further info contact
    Bob Dornack 724-650-5836
    Tom Roth 724-831-8830
    ···╔════════╗
    ·█╢░░░░░░░░╟█
    ·._├────────┤_.
    ╘╕Θ║║║║║║║Θ╒╛
    ═══╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═══

PghOffRoad Regular
    I know Bullseye (long out of buisness) had a snail trap. It was rediculously expensive. I had belonged to Coropolis Sportsmans back then. Our indoor was a AR400 sheet angled in to a sand trap. No mags or HiPowered stuff allowed. I know I have AR550 plate targets and hit them w 30-30, '06, AKs, hot 44 Mags w no problems. I have been kicking around the idea of doing a deflection trap w AR550 in my current outdoor range. I wouldn't be bashful about putting centerfire rifle on it at 100yrds but probably not closer. Certainly no APs or Incendiary either.
    My liver has a restraining order against me for abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalMayham View Post
    I know Bullseye (long out of buisness) had a snail trap. It was rediculously expensive. I had belonged to Coropolis Sportsmans back then. Our indoor was a AR400 sheet angled in to a sand trap. No mags or HiPowered stuff allowed. I know I have AR550 plate targets and hit them w 30-30, '06, AKs, hot 44 Mags w no problems. I have been kicking around the idea of doing a deflection trap w AR550 in my current outdoor range. I wouldn't be bashful about putting centerfire rifle on it at 100yrds but probably not closer. Certainly no APs or Incendiary either.

If I recall correctly, Bullseye had extremely high lead levels in the air and on surfaces.

Airborne lead particles is a big factor in new ranges, The air filtering is almost as big a deal as backstop and trap.

I'm sure China Virus has screwed a LOT of this up, but did you ever figure out what system to go with, and when you're going forward on it?
    '07 Commander - 2" Daystar lift, 32x17x10 Cooper ATPs, Flowtech exhaust, aFe CAI
    '92 Dodge Ramcharger - 4 1/2" lift, 35's, 318 Magnum... a work in progress...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Nothing yet.
    A big money maker for the club, Springfest, had to be cancelled. That usually brings in close to 30K!!
    On the plus side of that not happening though.... The day it was scheduled the temp was something like 35° and with a couple hundred seats outside, as well as the band, I don't think it would've gone over very well.

It's going to happen sometime, as just being able to shoot non jacketed ammo is a big draw back! Just not sure when yet.
    In the mean time, we did get an ammo vending machine from Master Ammo that at least makes it easier for members to find poly coated lead ammo.
    ···╔════════╗
    ·█╢░░░░░░░░╟█
    ·._├────────┤_.
    ╘╕Θ║║║║║║║Θ╒╛
    ═══╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═══

Thread Information