Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New tent recomendation

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! 13below0's Avatar

New tent recomendation

Im looking for some new camping gear anyone have any recomandations for tents? Looking for something farly small and packable only needs to sleep 2. Would like something waterproof in case of rain and would possibly use it in the winter if I ever get around to winter camping. TIA
    SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL WELDER...

Less posting, more wheeling!
    ok so i know you say only needs to sleep two, but i only spent $52 on mine from Walmart and it is pretty big. says it sleeps six and could do so easily. folds up pretty darn small. waterproof (i believe because the seams come up off the ground like 4-6") and has a pretty big top for it. combine that with the thick air up queen mattress and its a damn hotel (ask Matt-overkillzj) haha. i recommend that one. dont know the name of the stule but its ozark trail brand.
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

though you say winter rated, none you find at the store like walmart will be 4 season rated(or at least not that i have found). this one is 3. just fyi.
    [QUOTE=jackb1;233598]...... but I never stuck my head that close to his pipe to check it out.[/QUOTE]

PghOffRoad Regular
    these are supposed to be good tents

http://www.springbar.com/explore/tentmodels/index.html

I have grease stains on the knees of my dockers Muzikman's Avatar
    Do you have a price range in mind? Do you want two people + gear, or just two people? Are we talking two people who don't mind sleeping close to each other? Are you willing to give up coolness and air flow in the summer so you can stay warmer in the winter? Are you looking for a backpacking tent, or just something that packs up small, but weight isn't as much of an issue?

I got a Big Agnes Parkview 3 last year and I love it.

If you are looking used, I have a Eureka Pinnacle Pass 3XTA I'm probably going to get rid of.

I would stop by REI and check out tents. Even if you don't want to buy there, they will let you open and setup any tent they have in stock.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam
    Pittsburgh (Penn Hills), PA

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Bill Molestered Jebus (again.) BAD_GNR's Avatar
    I second checking out REI (I could have said check out Dick's, but that would be wrong.).

I usually get all of my gear at campmor.com, best prices you'll ever find, and usually high quality stuff.

The big question like Jason said is size. I go backpacking, and have both 2 & 4 man tents. My 2 man, well you have to be sleeping on top of each other if you even have a backpack with you. The 4 man is very comfortable for 2 people, extremely tight for 4. But the quality and size/weight of a backpacking tent is so high up there, you can't compare it to a walmart one, or even something from Dick's. My 4 man backpacking tent weighs under 8 pounds and packs to about 2' long x6" diameter, smaller than most people's sleeping bags.

Kelty and Walrus are the best tents I've owned. I also bought a walmart tent for family style camping, it's huge compared to the others, packs large, but it does the job and is reasonably waterproof. I've had close to 2" of standing water though around my kelty in a flash flood type scenario and not a drop inside, so take that for what it's worth.
    It's about to get all kinds of stupid up in here!

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Campmor is the shit. Great website to check out for anything camping/outdoor related related really. If your lookin for something value line I would have to agree that the tents from wal-mart branded Ozark Trail are pretty damn nice for the money. I've had a 5 or 6 person tent that is probably 10yrs old out in some nasty shitty weather and i've kept dry and it hasn't collapsed on me yet. The tents that BAD_GNR and Muzikman suggested are excellent tents. Just figure out exactly what your application is going to be and how much time that that tent will be used in a certain scenario, and what type of terrain you'll be using it in, and use that to help guide your decision.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! TimMichaels's Avatar
    I third an REI trip for the same reasons, plus their staff usually is pretty knowledgeable. As far as brands, Kelty is top notch and Eureka is great too. A step down from that is Quest, which has served me remarkably well the past 5 years or so. My Quest 2-man is really like a 1 man or a 1 man + 1 woman, but I've really loved it and its been through some pretty damn rough conditions. Remember that with cheap Wal-Mart tents you do get what you pay for... they will work just fine on a dry summer day but any time the conditions get rough the price tag will be showing.

EMS has some pretty good online specials right now, including some good package deals.

Jason- how much for the Eureka? =P
    Tally-ho!
    -Crash
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.captaincrash.net

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    I had one very similar to this. it was a great tent. I had no complants.
    http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorge.../ERK0011M.html
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

I know it has been said before, but I will say it again. look but don't buy from REI. They give money and support to anti off-roading groups.

As far as tents go. I have the Halo 4P. Excellent quality and just a great tent.
    http://marmot.com/catalog/tents/equi...010/118-173-74
    A bad day of wheelin' is still better than a good day at work

You have a jeep, that's so cute so does barbie.

'89 Toyota P/U 3.0 5 speed
    custom bumpers, sliders
    33x13.50 Super Swamper LTB

'03 Dodge Dakota 32" BFG AT DD

Less posting, more wheeling! notmYJ's Avatar
    I had a Eureka and loved it. Heavy down pours, and never had a leak. It was top notch. I now have an ozark trail for family style camping with the air mattress. I figure if it leaks during a flood, I will simply ride my mattress to safety. That being said, I have to recommend a TentCot. A friend of mine has one and its awesome. http://store.kamprite.com/catalog/Te...p-1-c-249.html
    92, 4.0, AW4, SOA, 8.8, D30, 37's, etc etc
    92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)

"Send lawyers, guns, and money. The shit has hit the fan" - Warren Zevon

Everytime someone installs a Super35 kit, an angel looses its wings. Do you want that on your shoulders every time you get in the jeep? Why, I think not...

Check out the Expedition Portal. It's an outstanding forum. The reviews cover everything imaginable pertaining to back country camping. I was at the REI store in Robinson. The stuff is a bit pricey.
    [COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

I have a Quest 3-man that I put through a storm a few weeks ago. I slept like a baby. $40 at Dicks
    Heat the hole freeze the shaft

Quote Originally Posted by highlandercj-7 View Post
    Check out the Expedition Portal. It's an outstanding forum. The reviews cover everything imaginable pertaining to back country camping. I was at the REI store in Robinson. The stuff is a bit pricey.
    You need to compare their prices with prices of equal quality. They are more expensive than Dicks, but then again, the equipment is high quality.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam

The Xterra
    The Jeep

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I have always had and used Eurakas, throughout years of camping myself and in scouting without any real problems. These are the ones we used in scouting, http://www.eurekatent.com/p-52-timberline-2-tent.aspx# 2 person, easy to hike with, only rated 3 season but you said "if you get around to winter camping" and they aren't mindboggling expensive like the 4 seasons. I had the 4 person version and used it for years till a limb ripped through it. I just got a Field and Stream tent from Dicks to replace it cuz I had a giftcard and needed it in a hurry. Wish I would have just sold the giftcard and bought another good tent.
    02 Wrangler - Cut stretched and getting 1tons
    Companies that have treated me well
    [URL="http://www.4wd.com"]www.4wd.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.completeoffroad.com"]www.completeoffroad.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.currieenterprises.com/"]www.currieenterprises.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.northridge4x4.com"]www.northridge4x4.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.polyperformance.com/"]www.polyperformance.com[/URL]
    [U][COLOR=#0066cc][URL="http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com"]www.ruffstuffspecialties.com[/URL][/COLOR][/U]
    [URL="http://www.tuffyproducts.com"]www.tuffyproducts.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/"][COLOR=#ffcc00]http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PghOffRoad Regular
    Cabela's also has some nice tents.

If you are looking for a tent for 2 people I would at least get a 3 or 4 person tent. The XPG comes in a few different styles, four season, and in 2-4-6 person sizes. It packs fairly small and is light. It has good ventilation with closabe screens. You can also put it up with the rain fly or without. It been through some pretty hard downpours and hasn't leaked yet.

I have the 4 person and I can fit two air matresses on the sides with some extra room in the center to get out the door. Another nice feature is that it has 2 doors so you don't have to crawl over anyone to get out of the tent.
    '99 TJ

Oh, and I will make two suggestions. If you plan on having the tent for years to come and / or plan on using it a lot, you want Aluminum poles and not fiberglass/carbon. They are lighter, they are stronger and they can be quickly fixed should one break. With a fiberglass/carbon pole, if you break one, you are up the creek.

Also, I avoid tents with pole sleeves. All my tents now have clips. This make setting up and tearing down MUCH easier.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam

The Xterra
    The Jeep

I will definetely not buy anything from REI, there is not one close to me so I dont even have to worry about going there. I would like to sleep 2 people plus gear so I guess I should look for something a little bit bigger. I would like to find something if we do a winter camp out I could carry it with me on my snowmobile so something packable is something im also looking for. Thanks for the suggestions so far. I would like to buy something nice so I could have it around for a few years.

[COLOR=darkred]HighlanderCJ-7[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]If you don't stand behind our troops... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#8b0000]Feel free to stand in front of them...[/COLOR]

after looking on that site I want to get all new gear and build another XJ asap haha. Muzikman do you know some brands to look for that will have clips instead of the sleeves? I havent camped in a long time, most of it has been renting a cabin. I want to get out more. Hell Im trying to figure out a way to make the TJ a ok rig to take. Is there anyone that has done a DIY roof top tent?

Tim, if you are serious, drop me a PM, it's in good shape with only minor issues.

Quote Originally Posted by TimMichaels View Post
    Jason- how much for the Eureka? =P
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Just about every brand has a model that uses clips.

If you look at the way the pole attach to this tent. It uses clips.
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27866#

If you look at the way the poles attach to this tent. It uses sleeves (and a couple clips).
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___21974

You pretty much have to look at them to tell.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam

The Xterra
    The Jeep

As long as the sleeves are continuous (no breaks in the center) you shouldn't have an issue setting up. Many tents these days use a combination of sleeves and clips.
    A bad day of wheelin' is still better than a good day at work

You have a jeep, that's so cute so does barbie.

'89 Toyota P/U 3.0 5 speed
    custom bumpers, sliders
    33x13.50 Super Swamper LTB

'03 Dodge Dakota 32" BFG AT DD

mine is sleeve and clip.

Many are, but a lot are just clips. Sleeves are just a PITA IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyB View Post
    As long as the sleeves are continuous (no breaks in the center) you shouldn't have an issue setting up. Many tents these days use a combination of sleeves and clips.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Thread Information