Thread: d30 pass. seal

Trail Leader

d30 pass. seal

i got to work this morning and i had a bunch of gear lube on my wheel.. seal time along with wheel bearing. err!
    got the bearing ok but i am having a hard time with the seal.. i pulled my posi and tried to pop it out with a screwdg driver but it wouldn't move.. do i have the right idea?
    also figured it was time for some u doints so i will press them out at work wednesday and try again after work..
    thanks
    andy
    Andy
    green TJ

I've heard those D30 seals are a PITA! Also a ball joint press works great for those u-joints...it makes the job go smoothly.
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Yup, they suck... Been there done that...

There are a few write ups on how to do it, but I stongly suggest large washers, and a REALLY long piece of threaded rod to put them in. Its either that or buy the really expensive tool to do it.

PS. You have to drop the carrier and axles. Basically an empty housing to fix a cheap 2dolla seal.
    1980 CJ-7 304 TH400 BW1339
    1999 TJ Sport 4.0 32RH NP231
    2001 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 NP231

Last edited by jeepxj3; 04-10-2007 at 10:58 PM.

Trail Leader
    thanks for the help guys...
    so what i have gathered is i have to pull the carrier to pull the seal?
    its the seal just to the right of my disco, can i trim the washers to fit and push it out? then 'pull' it back in with a chunk of all tread and washers again? if yins think that will work the the carrier can stay right?

thanks again..
    andy
    Andy
    green TJ

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    You don't need to pull the carrier to replace that seal, just pull the outer half of the axle, and the CAD motor, I usually just use a small pry-bar in through the whole where the CAD motor goes and pop the old seal out that way, it destroys the seal but your replacing it anyway. then use the all thread and washers to put the new seal in.

FYI if the seal area on the axle shaft is worn to bad (will have a groove) it will not seal even with a new seal and you'll have to replace/repair the shaft first. Also while you have it apart there are 2 "plastic" wear bushings that you should check, when my axle started leaking I tore it down and found that the wear bushings had worn out causing the shafts to get out of alignment, putting a serious grove where it wore on the seal and destroyed the seal. I have replaced the seal, both wear bushings and the shaft and it still leaks, and I'm now going to go TJ shaft and an inner seal at the carrier and see if that will get the leak stopped.
    I'm not completely worthless, I can always serve as a bad example.

[COLOR=red]Every time I walk into a singles bar I think of my mom's wise words, "Don't pick that up, you don't know where it's been." [/COLOR]

yeah my bad, I forgot you have that vacume disconnect...

Sorry my bad!

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    x3 on recomending full length shafts

That said I usually just use a long rod from the outside to pop the seal, however those CAD outers have a bearing in them to so you have to be carefull not to hit the bearing while driving the seal

to put it back in your suposed to drive it in from the "oil" side which would involve dropping your carrier (but maybe Dodge's trick would work because I've never ever put a seal back in one of them dang things since I always replaced that setup with the one pc shaft)

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    BTW: the best way to do the u-joints without bending the shaft yokes is to cut out the cross with a torch then you can drive each cap out independently

Back in the day everytime I tried to press out the entire u-joint (and yes I have the proper tool even) I always ended up pushing the yoke ears together which cause clearance problems when installing the cap clips on the new joint (plus just plain bending things that shouldn't be bent)

Trail Leader
    i do have a groove in the axle shaft.. doesn't look too bad but probably end of summer get a new shaft in there. and i don't have the pastic bushing... is this a prob?
    Andy
    green TJ

Trail Leader
    ok well this project is taking longer than i ever thought possible..

long story short, i got the new seal today (finally).
    i tapped the old one out real easy-surprised!
    went to press the new one in and fuct it up.. shoulda ordered 2 lol.
    i was using all thread and washers. i had some thin washers and well it bent and i went to tap the washer out because it was stuck in the seal and screwed the rubber up...

guess it will make a good weekend project...
    Andy
    green TJ

I got dibs on the tranny! avenged7foldhc's Avatar
    kinda wild how rubber can groove metal like that...

i know when i was fixin 5tons in iraq we'd see a lot of that in the hubs where there were some O-rings. course them trucks are so old, theyre expected to be leak boxes..

'85 Yota 4-runner.

07 Honda Shadow VT600CD Miles: 3600
    mpg at last check: 55

04 Rubi (gone.. ill miss it)

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikejeepsalot View Post
    i do have a groove in the axle shaft.. doesn't look too bad but probably end of summer get a new shaft in there. and i don't have the pastic bushing... is this a prob?

Yes it is a problem if you don't have the wear bushing or there not in good shape. One will be pressed into the end of the outer shaft, the other is in the tube, between the CAD and the Diff, right next to the CAD, and the inner shaft rides on it. If either of these are bad, you will have the axles misaligned and it will cause you more problems, and it will never seal correctly, and it will wear the groove into the axles faster because it will be using the seal to try and locate the axles centered in the housing.
    I'm not completely worthless, I can always serve as a bad example.

[COLOR=red]Every time I walk into a singles bar I think of my mom's wise words, "Don't pick that up, you don't know where it's been." [/COLOR]

Trail Leader
    ok i finally got the seal in.. wow pita! but its in..
    i am still not exactly sure about these bushings..
    anyone have a picture?
    Andy
    green TJ

Thread Information