Thread: oil pressure problem. help

www.RalphsOffRoad.com RalphDogg's Avatar

oil pressure problem. help

i have a 99 cherokee with a 4L. over the weekend the oil pressure gauge suddenly read 0. i changed the sender yesterday and it fixed the problem. today it stopped working again and the oil pressure is reading 0. i took the sender out and turned the engine over and oil squirts out the hole. i know it has pressure. any ideas would be helpful.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I would put a mechanical gauge on it and check to see exactly what you have for preasure, and if it's good, start running the wiring, for the gauge, it sounds like you have a short somewhere and it's frying the sender.
    I'm not completely worthless, I can always serve as a bad example.

[COLOR=red]Every time I walk into a singles bar I think of my mom's wise words, "Don't pick that up, you don't know where it's been." [/COLOR]

I have grease stains on the knees of my dockers Muzikman's Avatar
    It's possible that the oil pump is bad but still producing some pressure.

I had this problem with my Camaro years ago. Ended up spinning a main bearing.

When I pulled the pump I could stick it on a drill and get flow, but it just wasn't enough to pump oil through the engine.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam
    Pittsburgh (Penn Hills), PA

The Xterra
    The Jeep

I agree with dodgemudder. My friends xj is doing the same thing. I just put a new pump in it and for about a week everything was fine. then it went to 0. We had a garage put a mech gauge on it and he is getting good pressure.

I believe on the 99 if you ground the sender the gauge will go to zero. Unplug it and if it reads 0 check your connectors and make sure the lead from the sender isn't frayed and grounding out somewhere.
    [U][quote]An operation this size you don't know who's after you. It could be the ATF, FBI... ****in' Patrik Swayze... who knows?[/quote][/U]

Web Wheeler!
    i have a 200 tj with the same problem hooked a a mechanical gauge and it is fine .had the same thing with the wifes xj right after we bought it and it was a stupid ground wire for the cluster to the body that was broken.

do you know where the ground wire is?

thanks to everyone for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by RalphDogg View Post
    do you know where the ground wire is?

thanks to everyone for the input.
    I think he means just jumper the sender wires or ground the 5 volt feed. I have seen a lot of those senders go bad so it would not shock me if you got a new bad one. Was it oem?

Try a mechanical guage on it. I have one if you are going to be in Pgh any time soon you can borrow it.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    The gauge could be going bad too.

Hold in your trip-odometer button then turn the key to run. The gauges should go through a 'check' series and increase in incriments...then decrease. Along with this, I believe the odometer reading counts down from 10-0 (or something like that).

We had a TJ at work that did the same thing, the gauge ended up being bad itself. When we ran that "check" thing I just described, the gauge never moved.

i got a chance to look at the jeep yesterday. i ran all of the tests and i think it's the new sender. it bought the sender at auto zone. i am going back today to see if they will replace it. if they give me the money back i am going to get one from a dealer. i am not sure if i will get anything back because it's an electrical part.

Quote Originally Posted by RalphDogg View Post
    i got a chance to look at the jeep yesterday. i ran all of the tests and i think it's the new sender. it bought the sender at auto zone. i am going back today to see if they will replace it. if they give me the money back i am going to get one from a dealer. i am not sure if i will get anything back because it's an electrical part.
    I had 3 bad senders in a row. The first being the one that was already on the jeep. Number two was defective, and the parts store didn't wanna refund me, so they replaced it. After the next one, they gave me the $$$ back. I too purchased one from the dealership in the end.
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

Thread Information