Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Western PA rig

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar

Ultimate Western PA rig

Work is super slow today and I have been thinking about IF I were to build a new rig what it would be. My TJ is pretty well setup, but if I had to do it all over again I would definitely have started out differently.

Things I would not want on a new rig:

Coil springs - geometry is too damn complicated, my front end constantly unloads on steep climbs, and arms/springs are pretty expensive. A super flexy setup isn't needed for 95% of the wheeling I do.

SWB - I like riding with the top off but the wheelbase seems to hurt me a lot of the time. Not to mention my spare parts/tools leave for little room in the back and no room for more than one passenger.

4cyl - mine is tolerable with 4.88s, but a 6cyl would be much nicer

manual tranny - I'm tired of stalling out all the time in the rocks

Obviously I would probably stick with a Jeep, I get parts really cheap and have lots of experience working on them. I was thinking:

-YJ or XJ
    -Waggy 44s (or 8.8 w/ a spool, 44 w/ a Lockright, alloys, etc)
    -Lowest gears possible
    -35s or 37s...I think I want boggers
    -SOA (if YJ, maybe on XJ front, too?)
    -stock engine, tranny and TC for now (obviously w/ SYE and DS)
    -lots of body trimming, no more sky high rigs for me the TJ is tall enough

This would not be a DD, but if I could get a sticker for it that would be nice, but not necessary. Let's hear everyone's opinions...but remember to KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Bill Molestered Jebus (again.) BAD_GNR's Avatar
    I like your thinking with the KISS method, can't go wrong there.

I think your argument against the SWB is valid, so why not an xj? If you like the top off so much, chop the top off. Seems like you're onto something though.
    It's about to get all kinds of stupid up in here!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Bobbed Scrambler with D44, HD20 or 8.8 in the rear. D44 in the front. 58"-60" wm to wm
    Alloy shafts all around with CTMs or some other super joint
    Fuel injected 4.0 or 4.2 or 4.3 (chevy) with 4-speed auto tranny (or 727 if no 4-speed available)
    D300 with 4:1 kit & twinsticks
    4.88 gears
    Spring over with the rubicon express springs
    possbily link traction bars on both sides
    36"x13.5 IROCs
    Big flares to (kinda) keep it legal
    Full cage & suspension seats

Basically.. my jeep but a bobbed scrambler instead of a CJ7 to give that longer wheelbase.. oh.. and better motor.. mine sucks.. but will be replaced this winter with a 4.0 and 4 speed auto from an '03 TJ rubicon with 13K miles. and better springs (better designed SOA would be good)

-Mel

I was thinking something similar Mel, but Scramblers are too hard to find. I would probably go with a YJ and move the springs back some...or extend the frame, close off the body and make truck bed type contraption out of the back. No Chevy motors for me though...gotta stay Mopar!

TJ unlimited with long arms, 60s, 4.88s, cut/raised fenders to fit 37s or 38s with minimal lift. Oh and a gun rack

I have grease stains on the knees of my dockers Muzikman's Avatar
    DMG, now that is what I am talking about!
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam
    Pittsburgh (Penn Hills), PA

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    TJ unlimited with long arms, 60s, 4.88s, cut/raised fenders to fit 37s or 38s with minimal lift. Oh and a gun rack
    Yeeeeeeeah. Can we do that with Zeke's truck?
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

"A gun rack... a gun rack. I don't even own *a* gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack. What am I gonna do... with a gun rack?" - Wayne's World

Honestly, a SASed 2005+ Xterra would the way I would go if I had the money. Though...not simple.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Moderator of the DeeDeeDees! Bill's Avatar
    The Unlimited... but in truck form, sort of like the Brute.
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - Call of Duty Special Ops Edition (De-badged)

"The two most common elements in the universe are nitrogen and stupidity."

I plan on selling my TJ and using the cash from that to build a new rig...no super expensive new vehicles for me!!!

So this is more than fantasizing... You are actually in the brainstorming stages.
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - Call of Duty Special Ops Edition (De-badged)

I vote for a streched out YJ. If you get one...I'm sure you, Ralph and myself could turn it into something insane within a weekend's time. Plus, that would be practice for some of my ideas...lol

Practice... Nice!

I'm thinking YJ too but they're hard to come by at a decent price, atleast we rarely ever trade them. I could try the auctions though. I would like to chop the rear off, enclose the cab and make a small truck bed in the back, stretch the wheelbase some front and rear. It would be cool to build something a little different.

The big question lies in the value of my TJ. I'm undecided whether or not to keep the D44 rear and use that, sell the HP30, put a d30&d35 back under it, lower the lift w/ smaller tires and sell it that way. If I sell it right now it would need some work to be a streetable rig again.

Or...

Keep the TJ, stretch it and wheel the hell outta it.

You could probably find a 4.0L and auto tranny pretty cheap at a junk yard.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam

The Xterra
    The Jeep

I thought about that too. Why fix what isn't broke. Maybe I'll take the TJ, do a cheap rear leaf stretch on it, fuel cell, and a cool truck bed. I'm digging that look.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    If we're going Ultimate W-PA rig...

I'd start off with one of these tube chassis, Something like the PSC Bruiser Chassis. I'd build it with coil overs for simplicity, but the focus would be on tire size and not flex. I'd put a small V8 chevy, like in the newer trucks. (327 size) Automatic. I would cover the tube with sheet metal to make a cab and engine compartment. Make it close to water tight, something that I could have some snap/zip in windows made for. Also would have to have a windshield of somesort. It would have a heater. I wouldn't go full width truck size, I'd keep the axles around 60-63"

Basically rather than start with something off the street and form it to something functional, start with something functional and form it to something comfortable on the street. Have all the amenities of a car, but with the stoutness of a buggy.

It's more than a dream, I might be 80 by the time I can build it though! I just gotta come across an extra $50G somewhere...
    Last edited by oros35; 06-08-2007 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepGeneral View Post
    I thought about that too. Why fix what isn't broke. Maybe I'll take the TJ, do a cheap rear leaf stretch on it, fuel cell, and a cool truck bed. I'm digging that look.
    Why leaf it. Just have ralph make you some long arms and fab you up some extended rear fenders.

Someone was saying you can get a TJ streatched to 100" without much problem. You probably will need a new rear driveshaft as well.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Quote Originally Posted by Muzikman View Post
    Why leaf it. Just have ralph make you some long arms and fab you up some extended rear fenders.

Someone was saying you can get a TJ streatched to 100" without much problem. You probably will need a new rear driveshaft as well.
    I'd agree with that idea. Make a driveshaft too...If it doesn't need to be street legal, square shafts are sweet...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Personal set-up for a couple years down the road, after I get a couple other projects done.

Pre '97 Dakota (I like the boxier look)
    Toss a set of full widths under it, with just enough lift to make the front end work, trimming fenders as needed.
    Remove the bed in favor of a flat bed, they slide along trees and rocks unlike the regular bed.
    Exocage the cab and front clip
    Make the doors removable, and get a set of tube doors/half doors for summer wheeling.
    38" Boggers rear
    38" TSL's front
    Add a doubler, possibly a twin stickable t-case after the doubler
    I'm not completely worthless, I can always serve as a bad example.

[COLOR=red]Every time I walk into a singles bar I think of my mom's wise words, "Don't pick that up, you don't know where it's been." [/COLOR]

I almost forgot the rear end of the frame would need some repair. My Jeep was smashed up pretty bad when I bought it and we bent the frame back into place. Years of abuse has caused it to fold a little in the rear end right behind the spring cup...we could just tube it all.

I think working with what you have is the best idea. Not only is it a good platform, but you're also familiar with it. You know how to drive it well, and changing things around out back won't change that too much.

Strech it out to your likings, do some suspension work, maybe even add a different transfer case...I'm not saying go Atlas and blow lots of money...but there are definately other options for a good low range. That would also take care of the stalling issue on the rocks for the most part...

There you go!

I figure, you already got a good platform and someone that does great work. Keep what you got and go from there.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Tom, have you ever thought about Super Lifts BD-X2 system which will do away with rear axle squat from the rear coils compressing while climbing a hill which will cause unloading of the front coils……..
    The XJ does that now on some lose soil climbs or lose rocky climbs since it still has the OE UCA and orginal rubber bushing on the axle side mounts, it is annoying at times…….

New Ideas: I would have to go with Mel on that one a Bobbed CJ-8 or a TJ Unlimited would give you a 104”WB +-
    Full width D60’s out of a 72 thru 93 Dodge
    Detroit’s and/or selectable lockers F&R, 5:13’s or 5:38’s
    39’s or 42’s Iroks
    SBC 383ci to 427ci EFI
    TH400 or 4L80E (reprogrammed)
    205/203 doubler
    FDS 2.5”x0.25” double Cardin 1350’s long spline
    RDS 3”x0.25” double Cardin 1410’s long spline
    8 point cage with double stinger’s (the rear would also double as spare tire rack)
    MasterCraft Baja RS Seats
    Minimal lift 6” LA front lose pack leafs rear (get the sawzall and cut-off wheel out to clear for articulation a fork truck helps with this)
    Some 3/16” plating to ward off body damage (maybe)
    Now what would be the budget for this rig because I could make some modification to this list……..

Tom, you had the old wheels turning when I started thinking and typing (slow) Mel was the last one to post so some of it maybe redundant……..
    I would keep the TJ and go with a Super Lift type system and stretch the WB to 104” to 107” then go to the list above……..

Thread Information