Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BFG AT's bring the SUCK!!!!!!!!

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!

BFG AT's bring the SUCK!!!!!!!!

i feel the need to post my .02 on these horrible tires. i have run TONS of different types of tires both on and off road. i have to voice my hatred for BFG AT's. horrible in deep snow, hydroplaned easily, and didn't ride that well. i've run BFG MT's and i thought they were a good all around tire, but the AT's in my humble opinion, on something as light as a wrangler, are not a good tire choice.

here's my tire ratings on tires i have PERSONALLY run on my rigs. in parenthesis i put what size i've run them just to keep it in perspective.

off road on the east coast:

1. TSL SX (36)
    2. IROk (36)
    3. TSL (36)
    4. Baja Claw Bias (35X13.50)
    5. super swamper Bogger (38.5)
    6. BFG MT (32)
    7. Sidewinder MT (33)
    8. Goodyear MT/R's (37)
    9. Pro comp xterrains (35)
    10. Bridgestone Dueler A/T (32)
    11. BFG AT (35'S, 265/75/16 32'S)
    12. wrangler GS-A (30)
    13. Wrangler SR-A (small)

on road here's my ratings. some have notes next to them.
    1. Goodyear MTR's (untill the sidewalls all bubbled)
    2. bridgestone dueler
    3. BFG MT (good in everything)
    4. Irok (noisy but wow, rode awesome, wore quickly)
    5. sidewinder MT's (loud)
    6. Pro comp xterrains (bad in snow)
    7. GSA's (poor in snow)
    8. SRA's (small, weak sidewalls, rode well though)
    9. BFG AT's (horribly hydroplane resistance, poor snow performance)
    10. Baha claw bias (loud, bad in rain/snow, wore quickly)
    11. TSL (shook, poor in incliment weather, wore quickly)
    12. TSL SX (same as TSL but shook more)
    13. Bogger (same as SX but louder and worse in the rain/snow)

I have grease stains on the knees of my dockers Muzikman's Avatar
    I have heard a lot about how hard the BFG AT's are to balance, but you are the first I have heard to say they suck in the snow.

I like my BFG MT's, and will end up with another set I am sure.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam
    Pittsburgh (Penn Hills), PA

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    I never had an issue with them, but I ran them so long ago it was theold version.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I had the bfg mt's on a street wheeler and they were horrible in the snow. Absolutly no traction, I got more traction with my all season tires.

I have grease stains on the knees of my dockers Muzikman's Avatar
    Well, we have not had all that much snow on the street around here the past couple years, but on the trails I had no problems with the MT's.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam
    Pittsburgh (Penn Hills), PA

The Xterra
    The Jeep

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    i ran goodyear wrangler mtr's on my old dakota and i didnt like them they gave off a ton of road noise and wore really quickly. now my bfg mt's on the other hand are awesome hardly any noise compared to goodyears. they seem to wear good but i really havent had the op. to run them in alot of snow just yet... do to the previously mentioned lack of snow...
    the future is a mystery, the past is history, today is a gift and thats why it is called the present

Less posting, more wheeling!
    I've had my BFG All-Terrains on for a little over a year now. I love them.

They did great in snow and wet conditions, alot better than MT's in my opinion. In deep mud, they do bring the suck, but if you can clear them they will get you through. Another thing is they'll last forrrrrrrever on the street.

I'll be switching over to the BFG MT once I get my lift on, really only because I dont see the point in a running a 33" All-Terrain. Plus, I tend to find myself in more mud than I should.

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    BFG A/T's have always impressed me with how well they've gone for what they are

Their still all terrains, but for all terrains I've never seen a reason to complain

Moderator of the DeeDeeDees! Bill's Avatar
    I have had BFGs in both the A/T and the M/T variety. I like the tires, BFG makes a great product.

I originally put the BFG A/Ts on my old Sahara and I loved them. I would recommend them to anyone. The on-road performance is excellent. They are great in the snow and other adverse weather conditins on the road. They are so-so off road, but I think they are great for the daily drivers. They are not a mud tire by any means, but they tend to have decent tread life.

Now I currently have the BFG M/Ts on the Rubicon. I wanted a mud tire because the Rubi's primary use is offroading and I do not have to drive it on a daily basis. I would recommend the BFGs MTs to anyone as well. They are a great tire in the mud. Not as good on the rocks as my Goodyear MTRs were, but the MTRs did not clean out very good in the mud at all. I also had the TrXus on the Rubi before the BFGs. They are nice tires, but the balancing issues and the poor tread life were not worth the hassles.
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - Call of Duty Special Ops Edition (De-badged)

"The two most common elements in the universe are nitrogen and stupidity."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post

I originally put the BFG A/Ts on my old Sahara and I loved them. I would recommend them to anyone. The on-road performance is excellent. They are great in the snow and other adverse weather conditins on the road. They are so-so off road, but I think they are great for the daily drivers. They are not a mud tire by any means, but they tend to have decent tread life.
    And how were they in 1 wheel drive in Connellsville?

That poor motor was SCREAMING that day.. lol
    -Brandon

99 TJ

"Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know."

Quote Originally Posted by LordAthens View Post
    And how were they in 1 wheel drive in Connellsville?

That poor motor was SCREAMING that day.. lol
    Hey, they got me there and back out... Even with power to only one wheel.
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - Call of Duty Special Ops Edition (De-badged)

I used to be dp!
    You're probably in the 1 percentile of people that don't like them. There is no better tire for an all-around on/off road vehicle in existance. By far the best tire IMO...and I know a good bit about tires.

Just look at their ranking on sites like tirerack. Not to mention that by design they are much safer in the rain and snow.
    70 051ɟ 4xɟ ɟɟo pɐoɹ 4-ɹoop ɹǝdns qɐɔ l4˙5 8ʌ

Quote Originally Posted by WilberFJones View Post
    You're probably in the 1 percentile of people that don't like them. There is no better tire for an all-around on/off road vehicle in existance. By far the best tire IMO...and I know a good bit about tires.

Just look at their ranking on sites like tirerack. Not to mention that by design they are much safer in the rain and snow.
    Is that your professional opinion?

Damn tire guys always have something to say.

Less posting, more wheeling! Krod's Avatar
    Could it be that you were running a 12.5" tire in snow and expected traction??

Narrow, tall tires will OWN in snow. A 35x12.50 BFG AT is FAR from narrow. You experienced hydroplaning because you had a wide, flat, contact patch with the BFG AT's.

One of the 1020102010012 reasons why I went with the BFG 33x10.50 MT because of the 6 months of the year I spend in Erie and their wonderful snow.
    Women have clothes and shoes....we get welding and tools!....and the women!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod View Post
    Could it be that you were running a 12.5" tire in snow and expected traction??
    You talkin to me? I was running a 33x10.5x15 mt. The tire has no sipes, due to the lack of siping the tire sucked in the snow. I am talking about snow packed roads. I was running this tire in Colorado. We don't get many snow packed roads around here. I had to use 4wd almost all the time when I had those tires. When I switched to a AT style tire I was able to get around in 2wd most of the time. Deep snow offroad is a different story, but on the street they sucked. Look at any snow tire and you will see a snow tire is the exact opposite of what a MT tire is. A snow tire has lots of siping and even has a more pourus rubber so that is can get a better grip on packed snow and ice. A MT tire has big flat rubber blocks.

Less posting, more wheeling! Krod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trailerrails View Post
    You talkin to me?

Talking about ryan's experience with the 35x12.50 BFG-AT
    Women have clothes and shoes....we get welding and tools!....and the women!

I think people that like the AT only like them b/c they have never had a good MT. The BFG AT tractor trailers the suck big time. I ran them on my grandfathers blazer that I drove for a while. I got stuck both times it ever went off road. They suck in the rain, the snow and the mud. There is nothing good about that tire... especially at the price.
    lame

Like I said before, I have never had a problem with them. I even put them on Heidi's WJ and that thing is a tank in the snow now.

I got dibs on the tranny! avenged7foldhc's Avatar
    yeah, my AT's were phenominal in the snow. actually is one of the huge reasons i was kinda hesitant about getting different tires, the snow traction.

they were quiet, and they probably had about 50k miles on them too.

in the mud they werent that great, but did fair to good on rocks. and street handling was pretty good.

maybe your set was made on a friday?

'85 Yota 4-runner.

07 Honda Shadow VT600CD Miles: 3600
    mpg at last check: 55

04 Rubi (gone.. ill miss it)

I have BF Goodrich A/T's on my truck. It weighs in at 7,200LBS. They even do good on that, and they are wearing fantastic...another great quality of the tire.

As for king dee dee dee (gearhead313) the price isn't bad if you take the time to factor in the mileage you get out of the tires. It's even better when you get the hookup on them, which has also been taken care of.

I know the root of this thread, and to be absolutely honest, I think it's hillarious...and kinda EMO!!!
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Krod View Post
    Talking about ryan's experience with the 35x12.50 BFG-AT
    I ran wildcats in a 35x12.50 and they weren't as bad as the ats. hey what do I know. I'm just speaking from my experience. I don't see why people pay big money for bfg ats when there are tons of knock of ats for half the money... I just hate ats.

also. I've run 32 ats and mts. so I can compare apples to apples

Quote Originally Posted by MF Steve! View Post
    I have BF Goodrich A/T's on my truck. It weighs in at 7,200LBS. They even do good on that, and they are wearing fantastic...another great quality of the tire.

As for king dee dee dee (gearhead313) the price isn't bad if you take the time to factor in the mileage you get out of the tires. It's even better when you get the hookup on them, which has also been taken care of.

I know the root of this thread, and to be absolutely honest, I think it's hillarious...and kinda EMO!!!
    the root is you guys trying to talk chele into ats. I'll be the first to admit it.

no need to insult man.

and at the price I still think they're a rip. you can do cooper knock offs for 75 bucks a tire.

I think the ats are better suited to larger rigs. that's just me tho.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! RalphXJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead313 View Post
    I think people that like the AT only like them b/c they have never had a good MT. The BFG AT tractor trailers the suck big time. I ran them on my grandfathers blazer that I drove for a while. I got stuck both times it ever went off road. They suck in the rain, the snow and the mud. There is nothing good about that tire... especially at the price.
    ATs bring the suck!! I hated the ATs I ran, switched to the Kumho Venture MTs and it was night and day diffrence!

I wouldn't run ATs on my Jeep if they were street only tires and they were free, I'd still run MTs! ATs on a Jeep that goes offroad, or is driven in the snow is dumb, MTs are way better at both hands down.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! ArtCloud's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphXJ View Post
    MTs are way better at both hands down.
    If we're still talking about BFG or just about any other brand out there for that matter, that statement is far from true.

A MT's tread design no matter what brand will never be as good as an AT/AS. Like everyone else has already stated, you need siping, which you get basically none with a MT tread. Also, already been stated size is everything. A wide tire no matter how good the tread you will lack snow/ice traction and hydroplane alot easier. And the taller the better because of more front to back surface touches the ground and keeps you from sliding out.

This is one of the major reasons i went with the 285/75/16 rather than the 305/70/16 because i knew i'd do alot better in winter and they are both a 33" tire. I've never had a problem with a BFG AT or MT but I've also never had one in anything other than a 75 series. All were on vehichles weighing a little less than 4,000 lbs.

I'm running a MT now but my next tire may just be an all terrain because of the fact that I only wheel heavy about tree times a year and the rest of the time I'm either going back and forth the work or highway driving on weekend trips and ATs will get me probably 10k+ further and cost me a descent amount less.

I think alot of people with trail only rigs really make AT tires look alot worse than they really are, just because they don't have a use for them doesn't mean they are shitty...
    -Art Davis-

-2008 Yamaha WR250X-
    -2011 WV Jetta SEL-

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Thread undeleted... It's a tire discussion, not drama. You can't go deleting every thread that doesn't go your way

Now everyone get along, damnit.

Thread Information