Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Roc X90
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roc X90

www.RalphsOffRoad.com RalphDogg's Avatar

Roc X90

this is going to be the start of my new build up. it has been about a year since i had my last incident at the zookimelt. my sami rolled, drive shaft broke, and the engine crapped out. now it's still still sitting in my carport with Badlands mud caked everywhere. i have not decided what to do with it. should i rebuild back to what it was? leave the body trashed and fix the engine? built bigger? anything i do is going to cost a lot and take a ton of time. so thats why this is the start of my X90 build.

i have found the bigger something is the more it brakes. why not build a small wheeler with all the right stuff. i decided to buy my mom's 97 Suzuki x90(it's a sidekick with a different body). i think suzuki only made 10,000 or so of them. the benefits of the X are that it has a lower roof-line(lower center of gravity) and it uses all the same drive line parts as sidekicks/trackers.

right now it has a 1.5" coil spacer lift that we installed about 2 years ago, and high clearance rear shock mounts on the axle.

THE BUILD UP:
    the spacers are getting pitched for a 2" Calmini lift. huge front and rear bumpers. the front will get a winch and the rear will have a tire carrier. the carrier will make more room in the trunk and i will be able to have a full size spare. rocker guards and full skids. swampers, a rear lock right, and a few more small mods. many of the parts are on order so stay tuned for the build! ...and yes i am serous about this.

stock a few years ago

here is what it looks like with the swampers and the 1.5" lift.

Moderator of the DeeDeeDees! Bill's Avatar
    Excellent Ralph!!!

Tom had mentioned this at Clem's last week. I am looking forward to seeing this build up!
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - Call of Duty Special Ops Edition (De-badged)

"The two most common elements in the universe are nitrogen and stupidity."

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Interesting, I like it. Good luck.

I have the feeling this will be a cool build! You should fix the motor in the diesel Sami too, though.

my goodness, the sawsalling that will be going on there!

+1 for something different!
    lame

i finally installed the lock right. after a little grinding and a few words to the man i fit it together. while the axle is apart i started on a diff guard. i want to beef it up a little. the pumpkin will only sit a few inches from the ground. tomorrow i will get it back together and test it.

open carrier, spider gears...

locked. its a blurrry pic, i used an old digital camera. i must have misplaced my camera. i forgot to take a pic of the lock right parts. the cool thing about the lock right for the sidekick is it uses the stock side gears. so the kit is only a few parts. unfortunately its about the same price as the other lock right that comes with more working parts.

one of the bolts broke on the top of the carrier. it has a 3 link setup and the upper Y link attached with 4 bolts. a little heat andvice grips took it out.

best "free" stand for working on a removable 3rd member.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    that's awesome man... i'm still a fan of the zuks... that's gonna be a nice little wheeler when you get done with it...
    "When your god gives you lemons... you find a new god!"

thanks man. the locker works well! i didn't know how well it would disengage because the vehicle is so light. it doesn't have much pull on the highway and it is much quieter than i thought.

pic of the diff guard. now i can smash away in reverse!

made the rocker guards today. originally i was going to make them plain with 2x2 steel. the damn sides of the X are like bubbles. a 2x2 square was not nearly enough protection. i added tubing to the sides for the protection and steps. but, i doubt anyone will need to step UP into this thing. tomorrow they will be welded on and touched up with paint.

i picked up the steel for the front and rear bumpers today. the 8000lb winch should be here soon!!!

check out my sweet cart in the background. i found it in the garbage today!

the calmini lift is not going to happen. to make a long story short, don't buy from them.

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Wish I could find cool free shit like that cart in the barbage!

Less posting, more wheeling! mudforblood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    Wish I could find cool free shit like that cart in the barbage!
    If I could find the "barbage" then I would wish to find a cart like that. Even if it was in the garbage I would take it.

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    I must be special. I thought that everyone knew where the barbage was?

I have grease stains on the knees of my dockers Muzikman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphDogg View Post
    the calmini lift is not going to happen. to make a long story short, don't buy from them.
    Hell man, I could have told you that!
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam
    Pittsburgh (Penn Hills), PA

The Xterra
    The Jeep

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    i'm gonna have to say i'm special and i don't know what "barbage" is...

must be a pittsburgh thing...

PghOffRoad Regular
    X-90 Sweet!

- Jason
    [B][COLOR=white][/COLOR][/B]"Nothing Happens Until Something Moves"

[COLOR=white]2004 Gmc Sierra K1500 4.8[/COLOR]

the rocker guards fit well. i am waiting to see how close they sit from the ground, the vehicle is still up on the lift. i tried to contour them to the body of the vehicle.

the bumper is getting close. i have to cut the winch cable hole, make D ring tabs, and bend the top grill guard. i still have to design the guard. i want something that looks tuff. it's always going to be an X90, but i can try to make it look cool.

the winch came today. it's so damn heavy! i am glad i made the bumper out of 1/8 help keep the front a little lighter. i added gussets to the frame for some more strength. a 8000lb winch could do some damage on the frame. the bumper is made of 1/8" but the plate for the winch is 1/4".

i have the rear bumper metal and tire carrier ready to go. unfortunately it will be on hold so i can get some other projects finished.

please excuse the pics. hopefully i can get some better pics when i pill it out.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I think that is one of the coolest builds I've seen lately, I always thought those x-90's would make a great little play toy/wheeler.
    I'm not completely worthless, I can always serve as a bad example.

[COLOR=red]Every time I walk into a singles bar I think of my mom's wise words, "Don't pick that up, you don't know where it's been." [/COLOR]

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Awsome!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    those are some nice looking rock sliders... that is going to be one bad ass little wheeler... just one question... that bumper looks pretty tight... how are you going to switch the winch control form in to out...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! HeepH8erTy's Avatar
    it probably has a remote solenoid... just a guess. i looked at dana's arb bumper for his Xterra and the winch is like enclosed in the bumper and he has the soleniod mounted where you can get to it
    02 ZR2 Sonoma- 4.3, 5spd, DD/Bike Hauler
    07 TRX400EX- XRC-ish woods krewser
    04 KX220 Hybrid Woods Weapon
    97 KDX220 Plated Street/Woods beater

Need some Powder Coating done? Let me know!

after i put the bumper up i noticed the same thing. the winch was a little bugger than i thought. i made marks on the grill where the switch is. you can see the marks in the second of last pic. after i took the bumper off i cut some holes in the grill and used a body saw. i will get some pics of it.

i like the look of the bumper without a grill hoop, but i want more protection for the hood and fenders. i am sure body parts are hard to come by for this thing.

PghOffRoad Regular
    Sexy
    [B][COLOR=white][/COLOR][/B]"Nothing Happens Until Something Moves"

[COLOR=white]2004 Gmc Sierra K1500 4.8[/COLOR]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    just saw the marks as i was scrolling down... i didn't mean the solenoid... it meant the actual switch on the winch to change the gears from forward to reverse... sorry should've been more specific... but damn ralph that is awesome... looks sweet... that's a tough call on putting hoops on or not... it looks bad ass as it is... but i'm sure you are right where body parts aren't easy to come by...maybe just little hoop that comes up to the hood with a slight angle back towards the hood... and to protect the fenders maybe a semi exo cage along the top of the wheel well to the rockers

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar
    Get some synthetic winch line, the cable is probably half the weight of the winch. I love mine.

Thread Information