Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

RC Trip Report 8/18-8/19
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RC Trip Report 8/18-8/19

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar

RC Trip Report 8/18-8/19

SirFuego, Schimiz3306, RockSvperstar, jdetar, Dave and I headed out to Rausch Creek for the weekend. The trip started off badly around 2PM at the GetGo in Greensburg, Nick and I were trying to cheat the fuelperks system by filling gas cans and then my Jeep on the trailer. GetGo got the better of us and I spent the next 20 minutes flushing gas out of my eyes, nose and mouth (probably about a gallon of it). After changing in the parking lot we started the caravan and arrived at Rausch Creek around 7PM. We set up camp Morning Wood (don't know why/how it was named that) at the entrance to Trail A, it's real nice to wake up and jump right onto the trails.

Dave's TJ broke the second he pulled it off the trailer. He lost the bolt for his passenger-side LCA and someone noticed it dragging through the staging area. A quick trip into town the next morning got him fixed up right. We tried to check out the trails on the East Side first but kept running into broken down vehicles, so we headed to the West Side and played on some of the trails surrounding Rock Creek. Despite a few attempts to stay upright, Jared fell pretty hard and busted his shin off a rock. We were surprising well prepared with 2 first aid kits and he was bandaged up in no time.

We ran most of the blue/black trails and hit a few black lines before a tie rod end on Jason's Sami gave out and a nasty grinding noise came from his tcase. The end result was some severe binding in the steering and no 4LO, so we limped back to camp and made lunch.

After lunch we stayed close to camp on the East Side and hit Trail 4, CV Trail, Yellowjacket Ridge and Trail 8. We also did some of the hills and bowls which were pretty fun. Jared's ZJ walked up most of the same lines that everyone else (with 33"+ tires) were running, I don't think he took a strap or winch once this weekend. Everyone was having a blast!

After exiting trail 8 we ran over to the Trail 5 Hillclimb and gave it a try. This is bar far the nastiest hill I've ever seen in person, so of course I convinced Nick into trying it first. He took a line far to the right and after 3 or 4 attempts his LTBs grabbed ahold of the rocks at the top and pulled him over.

Dave tried next on the same line and made it up with some hesitation. I was next and thought I would try the line to the left, it looked harder at the bottom but easier at the steepest part. I was wrong.

After flipping her back over we assessed the damage, I only bent the windshield frame and cracked the windshield so I'm considering myself lucky. We let the oil run out of the cylinders, topped off the antifreeze and checked the rest of the fluids and were on our way (nobody else cared to try after me ). We spent the rest of the evening playing around in the comp area, which is pretty damn fun.

After getting back to camp we grilled some food and drank some beer around the campfire. Jordan was the first to fall asleep in his chair so Nick stuck a weiner in his mouth.

The next morning we woke up and headed for the South Property. We ran down to Lake Christy and did some of the hill climbs. I went into the hole on Sunken Treasure in Dave's Jeep (always try deep mud holes with a friend's Jeep first ) but found no treasure, just deep mud. You can see how deep the water was by the water line on my pants. Now I have to clean Dave's rig, help him change the fluids and help him out with a new starter (If it was anyone else's rig I would've felt real bad).

Next we ran Camel's Back, which was probably my favorite trail of the weekend. It had a bunch of tall humps with really steep descents and rocks in the worst places. Everyone puckered up on this trail.

We finished out the day on Snakebite just before the rain hit. The trail is long and rocky, just how I like them. Nick spotted Dave right into a tree and busted up his fender (he swore he never saw it ). We headed back to camp via the Pole Line and hit some of the rocky ledges on the way out.

We packed up camp, loaded the trailers and headed home. I was quite impressed with Rausch Creek, there are atleast 5 black trails that I would love to try but didn't have time. Camping was fun, wheeling was awesome and our group of drivers/passengers couldn't have been better. All in all this was probably the most fun trip I have ever been on. I can't wait to go back!

PghOffRoad Regular
    Looks like and sounds like you had a hell of a time! Great pics, I will have to get up there sometime. What was the deal with getgo? I know they don't like you filling up 2 vehicles (altho I've done it numerous times) and I fill up my Jeep and two 5 gallon gas cans and I've never ran into any problems. And how did you manage to get gas all over yourself?

I have grease stains on the knees of my dockers Muzikman's Avatar
    First off, I love this pic. TJ on it's side and a big shit eatn' grin on Tom's face.

Call off if you have to.

RC Sept 21-23!!!
    http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3879
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam
    Pittsburgh (Penn Hills), PA

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Full album:
    http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n...eek%208-18-07/

I would love to go again in Sept. I have a windshield frame and glass on the way and the flat fenders are sitting in the storage shed so it will be back together soon. I am waiting to hear back about a new job with Chrysler that I have interviewed for. If I get it, I could probably make it. If not, I'm stuck at work every Saturday!

We filled the gas can and walked over to the Jeep to fill it through a funnel. The Jeep was on the trailer so I was holding the can up over my head to fill it. I poured a little too fast and it rained on me.

High-horse-ASSumption-master
    those trails look like sooo much fun. epecially the hills.
    -s-10 d60/14bff, 496bbc, th400,205, locked- mud racer, NO PATIENCE

-'15 dmax

me asking about a jeep for sale --- actually its still for sale, I just didn't want it to go to an *** like you

I cant wait to make it out there in september!!!
    1980 CJ-7 304 TH400 BW1339
    1999 TJ Sport 4.0 32RH NP231
    2001 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 NP231

I just started seeing that XJ running around around Latrobe and I'm completely mesmerized by those fender flares. What the heck are those?
    [U][quote]An operation this size you don't know who's after you. It could be the ATF, FBI... ****in' Patrik Swayze... who knows?[/quote][/U]

You mean this XJ?

Those are flat flares made by Ralphdogg of Ralphs Offroad Creations (check Jeep General's signature of link).
    Last edited by Muzikman; 08-20-2007 at 01:34 PM.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Ralphdogg built them, they trimmed the fenders and welded the flares to them. His website is in my sig.

My brother just did an official estimate on my vehicle, the cowl panel is bent and he says the side is pushed in about 1.5". It looks fine to me so all it's getting is new frame/glass (for $150...I'm pretty happy) and the tube fenders I already have.

EDIT: Jason beat me to it

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Carnage!!!

Tom,

I have to ask, were you controling the winch while in the vehicle on it's side?
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    Nice write up, now I REALLY want to go there

Quote Originally Posted by Muzikman View Post
    You mean this XJ?

Those are flat flares made by Ralphdogg of Ralphs Offroad Creations (check Jeep General's signature of link).
    That's it. I saw that in my rear view one day and stalked the guy for probably 5 miles trying to get a better look. That's the cat's tits.
    [U][quote]An operation this size you don't know who's after you. It could be the ATF, FBI... ****in' Patrik Swayze... who knows?[/quote][/U]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! Schimiz3306's Avatar
    I have to say, although I've been limited in my travels when it comes to wheeling (Paragon is really the only big park that I've been too prior to RC, but I can't wait to go down to Harlan County, Kentucky), I think it would be pretty damn hard to have a better group of people/time wheeling.

Jared's ZJ walked right through all the blue/blacks we did, and the majority of the blacks. Jeff was super as a spotter, giving us difficult lines, but never once did I question them. Tom provided more than enough entertainment with the flop and drowning Dave's TJ.

Like Tom said, I wish we had more time to run a couple more trails, but Camelback was flat out awesome.

There were a couple of things I learned on this trip:

1) Rocks are good, mud is bad, and water, well, it's for drinking. (Ask Tom and Dave)
    2) While wheeling a 5-speed is fun, I've never valued an auto trans as much as on Camelback.
    3) LTBs are a ridiculous tire, and I will never buy a tire that's not made my Interco.
    4) LWBs are great for hill climbs (I still can't get over how steep Trail 5 was...pictures do it no justice).
    5) Wheeling with no brakes is the dumbest thing you could do. (While tending to Jared's puncture wound on trail 18, an old Ford Ranger flatbed lost a gear on a hillclimb and came rolling down the hill at about 20 mph right into a tree. The bed pushed into the cab, and the frame above the rear axle was pretzeled.)
    6) For being a hair under four hours away, it's hard to find better wheeling than Rausch Creek.

Once again, thanks to everyone who made the trip possible, brought the food, and helped out at all. I definitely will make more trips to Rausch Creek in the future.
    [B]98 Cherokee[/B]
    4.5" - Long-Armed
    34" LTBs

Less posting, more wheeling!
    First off, I love this pic. TJ on it's side and a big shit eatn' grin on Tom's face.
    That was probably my favorite pic from the weekend. I would also like to add that we cleaned up the trail of everything that fell out of Tom's Jeep when he flopped. I think it's time for some tie downs...

One of my favorite parts was on trail 8 when a rock came up through my floorboard and pushed my seat a couple inches up (yeah, I obviously picked the wrong line, but I got out).

I didn't get in until later last night, but Jeff was telling me that my front diff cover was leaking. Looks like it's time for a Solid diff cover...

I didn't do camelback. After looking at how close the bumpers of the big boys were coming to the bottom of the hills, I don't think I would have stood a chance with my departure and approach angles.

Thanks for the compliments on my ZJ "walking" through the trails, but I think "crunching" might be a better description. I love skid plates
    Last edited by SirFuego; 08-20-2007 at 01:57 PM.
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    I didn't get in until later last night, but Jeff was telling me that my front diff cover was leaking. Looks like it's time for a Solid diff cover...

PM Bill, I think he might still have some Rock Crusher covers. Same thing as Solid and I bet he would give you a good price.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Tom,

I have to ask, were you controling the winch while in the vehicle on it's side?
    I had the winch connected to the front axle and the control in the door. My TJ suspension unloads real bad in the front going uphill. Obviously it should have been a little tighter.

Everyone was a huge help in putting her back on all fours. We ran the winch up high on a tree to the right and 6 or 7 of us pushed it up and over. It was a lot easier than I had expected.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! Schimiz3306's Avatar
    Nick spotted Dave right into a tree and busted up his fender (he swore he never saw it ).
    Yeahhhh, about that. I wanted Dave to roll up onto a rock and cut hard to the driver side. I saw the tree, and figured he'd be fine. I think his 4.88s got the best of his Jeep as he rolled over the rock and right into the tree. Whoops!
    [B]98 Cherokee[/B]
    4.5" - Long-Armed
    34" LTBs

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    I love the pics of that modest little ZJ gittin' it Dun'

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    That modest lil' ZJ kicked ass at Paragon

PghOffRoad Regular
    Awesome trip guys! I really enjoyed it. RC was very cool, and it was fun wheeling with all you. That was a memorable trip for sure. haha.

I spoke with TrailTough and will be getting the tcase rebuilt with some nice 6.4's, and I got Hoss to agree to go from my 4.10s to 5.29s in the axle's. Ralph will have some fun modifying the mounts/driveshafts to prevent binding when fully flexed as it looks like that's what caused my front input shaft to go. All in all I hope to be back up in about a month!

I'll post some pics I have of the trip either tonight or tomorrow.

Hmmm I never thought about the input shaft. The new TC gears and 5.29s will make that baby sllllllooooooowwwwwwwww. I can't wait to go along on maiden voyage #3.

www.RalphsOffRoad.com RalphDogg's Avatar
    great pics and i love the commentary. i will have to make a trip out and wheel or ride along. hopefully RC won't suddenly close like paragon. i am glad to hear everyone had a blast!

i love that daves jeep broke down right away. now both of his jeeps have lost an important bolt.

Ralph, midas well schedule some time for Tom's jeep- tube fenders and a cage.
    [SIZE=4]'10 Rubicon 2 Door[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]Mud Flaps and running boards on order...[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=4][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Web Wheeler!
    Nice Pics and Write-up. I was there this weekend as well. Had a helluva good time.

Last edited by COVEJEEPSXJ; 08-21-2007 at 02:22 PM.
    1 Ton YJ

Thread Information